Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

After pondering the implications and premises of the bigger luke hypothesis, I have come to wonder if we have considered the matter from the wrong perspective. Consider: the bigger luke hypothesis hinges on the size of Han Solo and all comparisons are made thus. The following two pictures indicate the purported presence of a Luke Prime and Bigger Luke:

But, consider that perhaps it is not a Luke Prime and Bigger Luke, but instead we are looking at a Han Solo and Miniature Han.

1. Infamous cantina scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKxOEUhRMt0

At 0:55, the camera changes viewpoints. We cannot be sure if this scene is indeed Han Solo or Miniature Han. Greedo is seen to be shooting slightly above Han Solo's head. Strange that Greedo missed from point-blank range. Was he aiming where Han's head should have been, but was instead staring down the barrel of Miniature Han?

2. The change of heart Han supposedly gets between running away to pay Jabba and helping out the Rebellion on a suicide mission seems to be abrupt and out of character for this cool and collected smuggler. Odd. Miniature Han?

3. The Miniature Han seen helping the Rebellion from the Death Star Assault in ANH to ESB is replaced by Han between the ESB and ROTJ. The most notable clue for this is the change of clothes "Han" receives. Could it be that Jabba the Hutt, an intelligent and cunning gangster lord, figures out that he doesn't have the real Han Solo under his care? This ties into the next point:

4. In TFA, Kylo Ren is seen to be contemplating his fall into the dark side, urged on by his father, Han Solo. But after they embraced, he mercilessly stabs Han in the chest, ensuring his demise. Could it be that Kylo Ren sensed that this wasn't his real father, but instead a smaller imitation of him? That the reason why he's seen worshipping Darth Vader's helmet is that he sees him as a father figure he never really had? Perhaps Miniature Han escaped Jabba's clutches, only to return to Leia after years of being missing?

We're taking this to the papers. The people must know. Any other Miniature Han observations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues

I generally hate SHT ("small han theorists"), but this was actually well supported and didn't patronise my intelligence. Some interesting points about the sudden, inexplicable shift in Han's character towards the end of New Hope - was he replaced? I had always put it down to a "plot hole", a screenwriting slipup, but you're right that this is odd. The evidence provided is convincing. Miniature Han could even be a changeling, like the assassin that tried to kill Padme Amidala.

Android Blues

I don't think this is a solid "knock" against Bigger Luke though. I don't see any reason why the (at this point highly putative) miniature-ness of Han needs to exist in direct proportion to the apparent bigger-ness of Luke. It's entirely possible that there could be one unexpectedly small Han and one unexpectedly large Luke, it's just that each of them would be slightly larger and slightly smaller, respectively, than theorists from the individual camps had previously thought. I feel like we could really strike on something with this Hegelian dialectic approach that might end generations of inter-school strife.

FactsAreUseless

The explanation is much simpler than anyone realizes, and can be found in May The Facts Be With You: An Intimate Examination Of The Star Wars Universe And Its Corollaries: There was a single pair of platform shoes on set, and both Hamill and Ford insisted they be the ones to wear them. To expedite shooting, Lucas asked the two actors to switch off. In one scene, Fisher wore the shoes, but she was sitting down.

Manifisto

Android Blues posted:

I don't think this is a solid "knock" against Bigger Luke though. I don't see any reason why the (at this point highly putative) miniature-ness of Han needs to exist in direct proportion to the apparent bigger-ness of Luke. It's entirely possible that there could be one unexpectedly small Han and one unexpectedly large Luke, it's just that each of them would be slightly larger and slightly smaller, respectively, than theorists from the individual camps had previously thought. I feel like we could really strike on something with this Hegelian dialectic approach that might end generations of inter-school strife.

despite the superficial appeal of this line of thinking, it behooves me to point out that such theories ignore or dismiss the influence of spacetime on the equation--a sad irony given that han-luke size comparisons are by definition "relativistic." is it not possible that variations in the very fabric of spacetime account for these perceived differences? maybe the films were (unbeknowst to the creators) filmed too close to a black hole; it would stand to reason that the actor who happened to be standing nearer to the black hole would be "dilated" down to a smaller size than the actor further away. this would also explain discrepancies in speech patterns and the timing of exchanges between the actors; time literally moves differently for different actors depending on where they are situated vis-a-vis the singularity.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

"You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?…It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."
-Han Solo

Rey, eyeing Han and doing some quick calculations in her head:
"This is the ship that made the Kessel Run in fourteen parsecs!"
Miniature Han *sweating*
"...Twelve!"

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Manifisto posted:

despite the superficial appeal of this line of thinking, it behooves me to point out that such theories ignore or dismiss the influence of spacetime on the equation--a sad irony given that han-luke size comparisons are by definition "relativistic." is it not possible that variations in the very fabric of spacetime account for these perceived differences? maybe the films were (unbeknowst to the creators) filmed too close to a black hole; it would stand to reason that the actor who happened to be standing nearer to the black hole would be "dilated" down to a smaller size than the actor further away. this would also explain discrepancies in speech patterns and the timing of exchanges between the actors; time literally moves differently for different actors depending on where they are situated vis-a-vis the singularity.

This might also explain the head bump at the Death Star of a trooper that, I assume, is accustomed to regularly patrolling the halls and navigating the doors. The Death Star may have simply ignited its hyperspace drive.

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

After viewing an episode of Futurama last night I agree with Manifisto's assertion that it is related to the dilation of the space-time continuum. In this episode, the one where Fry becomes his own grandfather, the Professor's head spontaneously grows in size to nearly twice its' regular volume in a scene towards the end. Those familiar with the show, and the episode in particular, know that it deals with space-time on a quite regular basis, so it's no surprise that we see a similar (albeit distinct) effect from a similar albeit distinct black hole.

google THIS

Han: Chewie and I'll take care of this, you stay here.

Luke: Quietly. There may be more of them out there.

Han: Hey, it's me!

Luke: What?

Han: It's me, Han Solo. Really!

Luke: (confused) And...?

Han: Yep. Totally me. The real deal. Han Solo. Off to do some quiet stuff now. But seriously, I'm the real Han, and I think that bears repeating now and then, don't you?

Android Blues

google THIS posted:

Han: Yep. Totally me. The real deal. Han Solo. Off to do some quiet stuff now. But seriously, I'm the real Han, and I think that bears repeating now and then, don't you?

Luke: (in surprisingly deep voice) I suppose that's true.

alnilam

google THIS posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

google THIS

Android Blues posted:

Luke: (in surprisingly deep voice) I suppose that's true.

• Locked thread