Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am a process-oriented person. I like to minimize the amount of steps it takes to accomplish something. I am also a goddamn scatterbrain, so I like to minimize the amount of thought it takes to get something done. If you’re like me, you could benefit from AUTOMATION. My dude, have you heard the good word of automation for daily productivity? If you haven’t, I’m here to teach you, and to eventually learn from you as you become one with the flow of automation.

Let’s talk about the 2 big players in this landscape. IFTTT is a tool that functions on a very simple idea- If this, then that. You set up a trigger, and you set up an action. When the trigger is met, the action processes. It’s as simple as that. Zapier is another tool that does the same thing, but with many more applications, and it is capable of doing many more functions. Triggers and actions are the way the game is played.

Oh, and Microsoft has something called Flow. It’s the same poo poo, but with hardly any application support outside of Microsoft products. gently caress that.

IFTTT and Zapier don’t do anything without applications to integrate. Fortunately, they cover many, many applications.

Example:
Using Zapier, I have integrated Todoist with Airtable. I run part of an organization that requires lots of ideas and review. Using Airtable, I created a spreadsheet that can hold these ideas, and I created a form to fill out and capture even the faintest glimmer of an idea. When the form is submitted, a new record is added to the spreadsheet, triggering an event in Todoist. Zapier grabs data from the fields in my Airtable spreadsheet, and on any new record, it uses that data to create a new task in Todoist, alerting me to the fact that someone made a submission, and giving me the information I need to review it without ever looking at Airtable.

Expert mode: Create another trigger for tasks marked complete within the Todoist project. When the task is marked as complete, it finds the associated record and updates the Status field to “Reviewed.”

There are many many applications for this. If you use Salesforce, you can have updates to tickets give you an alert in Flowdock, or by email, or even by SMS. You can use this to aggregate RSS feed information in an email, and automatically parse that email for important poo poo, and drop it into a Wordpress or Mailchimp draft, easily bypassing the work involved in creating a newsletter you have to create, but do not give a gently caress about.

Let’s do this. Let’s automate all the poo poo out of our lives. You got any tips? Share them with me. How do you structure all the busy work out of your daily life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I like IFTTT a lot, even if it's probably missing an IF. One of the most surprisingly useful features is getting my Swarm check-ins to map to a google calendar.

I mainly use it for simple life frills, for things I don't REALLY need but one of the most useful features for me has actually been my swarm check-ins being added to a google calendar. I can very quickly put together when I did this or that with just a quick look at the calendar instead of digging through Swarm (I guess I could just add this stuff to my calendar from the start but it's not as fun).

• Locked thread