Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Trump throws a lot of poo poo at the wall and the thread grows by a post ever .0003 seconds. Lets talk what's happening with immigration, visas, cbp, and refugees here.

OP in progress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i'd like to apply for refugee status itt

i have dual cspam/dnd citizenship

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
im a citizen of the world

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

*raises paw* /r/thedonald refugee here

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Could someone explain to me, or provide a resource, on how this new ban is different from other bans in previous administrations?

At a glance, it seems to be greater in scope and affecting people who thought that they wouldn't be targeted, but I'd like some comprehensive information.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

so was the stay against the order granted on Saturday or not? none of the reports i've read, from the media or from bloggers, have mentioned it, probably because their need to stoke fear and insecurity outweighs the need to properly inform people

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
please include links for ACLU, AMNESTY, any other way to help refugees and immigrants in your OP, Thx.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Could someone explain to me, or provide a resource, on how this new ban is different from other bans in previous administrations?

At a glance, it seems to be greater in scope and affecting people who thought that they wouldn't be targeted, but I'd like some comprehensive information.

it isn't or at least not to the degree that the permanently panicking libs would have you believe. OTOH, any time we can get Chuck Schumer crying on TV, it's worth whatever the price we paid

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.amnestyusa.org/

https://www.rescue.org/

https://www.aclu.org/

donate, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

quote:

1. Much narrower focus: The Obama administration conducted a review in 2011 of the vetting procedures applied to citizens of a single country (Iraq) and then only to refugees and applicants for Special Immigrant Visas (SIVs), created by Congress to help Iraqis (and later Afghans) who supported the United States in those conflicts. The Trump executive order, on the other hand, applies to seven countries with total population more than 130 million, and to virtually every category of immigrant other than diplomats, including tourists and business travelers.

2. Not a ban: Contrary to Trump’s Sunday statement and the repeated claims of his defenders, the Obama administration did not “ban visas for refugees from Iraq for six months.” For one thing, refugees don’t travel on visas. More importantly, while the flow of Iraqi refugees slowed significantly during the Obama administration’s review, refugees continued to be admitted to the United States during that time, and there was not a single month in which no Iraqis arrived here. In other words, while there were delays in processing, there was no outright ban.

3. Grounded in specific threat: The Obama administration’s 2011 review came in response to specific threat information, including the arrest in Kentucky of two Iraqi refugees, still the only terrorism-related arrests out of about 130,000 Iraqi refugees and SIV holders admitted to the United States. Thus far, the Trump administration has provided no evidence, nor even asserted, that any specific information or intelligence has led to its draconian order.

4. Orderly, organized process: The Obama administration’s review was conducted over roughly a dozen deputies and principals committee meetings, involving Cabinet and deputy Cabinet-level officials from all of the relevant departments and agencies — including the State, Homeland Security and Justice Departments — and the intelligence community. The Trump executive order was reportedly drafted by White House political officials and then presented to the implementing agencies a fait accompli. This is not just bad policymaking practice, it led directly to the confusion, bordering on chaos, that has attended implementation of the order by agencies that could only start asking questions (such as: “does this apply to green card holders?”) once the train had left the station.

5. Far stronger vetting today: Much has been made of Trump’s call for “extreme vetting” for citizens of certain countries. The entire purpose of the Obama administration’s 2011 review was to enhance the already stringent vetting to which refugees and SIV applicants were subjected. While many of the details are classified, those rigorous procedures, which lead to waiting times of 18-24 months for many Iraqi and Syrian refugees, remain in place today and are continually reviewed by interagency officials. The Trump administration is, therefore, taking on a problem that has already been (and is continually being) addressed.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/30/sorry-mr-president-the-obama-administration-did-nothing-similar-to-your-immigration-ban/

basically they hecked it all up, for no real reason

the bitcoin of weed has issued a correction as of 21:17 on Jan 30, 2017

• Locked thread