Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
At the time of this thread, it is Day 11 of the Trump administration.
What will Day 166, America's 241st birthday, be like? Will the Boston Pops still play? Will there still be fireworks over the East River? Will local news in metropolitan areas still be filled with puff pieces?

Or are we not gonna make it that long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
nuclear and/or economic holocaust before july so it depends on what you consider normal

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Will the Boston Pops still play?

yea man :420:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztvr09J7KK4

v aint shook v

Mariana Horchata has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Jan 31, 2017

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i believe that the skeletons of every band continue playing in the next life, but only once every band member has passed

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

We'll all be dead

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
millitary paradeb ro

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

At the time of this thread, it is Day 11 of the Trump administration.
What will Day 166, America's 241st birthday, be like? Will the Boston Pops still play? Will there still be fireworks over the East River? Will local news in metropolitan areas still be filled with puff pieces?

Or are we not gonna make it that long?

a boston pops cover band will cancel at the last minute out of respect to and in accordance with the wishes of the actual Boston Pops, who Trump could not book

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
no matter, this year as with most other years im going to be drinking smoking and eating all day and i hope i have a pot of clams in front of me when the ICBMs go off so i shall still be free when i die

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
gently caress normal, I'm going to party like it's 1789. I'm gonna have a barrell full of liquor, and half of noah's ark to eat. Cheeto Benito ain't keeping me down.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Trump is dead or we are all dead

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Mariana Horchata posted:

no matter, this year as with most other years im going to be drinking smoking and eating all day and i hope i have a pot of clams in front of me when the ICBMs go off so i shall still be free when i die

seriously, i am so indifferent to this poo poo. why the hell are you idiots even spending time and effort getting worked up about trump? i hope he fucks up so bad that the system collapses and i have to live in a sod hut with a wood fireplace.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

We'll all be dead

inshallah

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

reagan posted:

seriously, i am so indifferent to this poo poo. why the hell are you idiots even spending time and effort getting worked up about trump? i hope he fucks up so bad that the system collapses and i have to live in a sod hut with a wood fireplace.

i mean i would do that but i'll probably have to like, take care of my dying family and poo poo

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

um what the hell is this "normal" word i dont understand

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013
being seen near an unburnt american flag will be as shameful as wearing a MAGA hat

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
the only fireworks will be coming from suicide vests op

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
can anyone even remember what's normal anymore? if things mattered, if normality returned, would you even recognize it?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

if you think about it, the past 70 years haven't been normal and we're just going back to the way things were

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
If Trump is still president in July, the DJIA will be around 14000 and millions will have died. His base will still be as strong as ever, getting their news from fake news.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Business Gorillas posted:

if you think about it, the past 70 years haven't been normal and we're just going back to the way things were
this. we like reading books and eating and not genociding but we're all betas tbh

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Business Gorillas posted:

truth

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
but god willing this time it'll involve ICBM's and the genocide will include all of us, human beans,

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

cargo cult posted:

this. we like reading books and eating and not genociding but we're all betas tbh

have you considered the gorilla mindset?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
its almost as if industrial civilization was a gigantic mistake and despite increasing the standard of living for two billion vietnamese/indian/paki/indoensian/chinese and the 1% the planet is actively rejecting our population levels and instead of going out with some dignity the nukes are gonna fly lol

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I've been thinking a lot about how Trump will wage an unreasonable War on the War on Christmas that will dominate the holiday season and how it's going to feel like a Fascist Dictator Christmas Special

Like isn't reacting to a piece on the War on Christmas on TV what Don Jr. said sparked Donald's quest towards the White House

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

cargo cult posted:

its almost as if industrial civilization was a gigantic mistake and despite increasing the standard of living for two billion vietnamese/indian/paki/indoensian/chinese and the 1% the planet is actively rejecting our population levels and instead of going out with some dignity the nukes are gonna fly lol
if the nukes fly anywhere it'd be american cities (because bannon gets petulant) and russia (no allies except shithole middle eastern vassal states. very few economic ties with the rest of the world)

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

That DICK! posted:

Like isn't reacting to a piece on the War on Christmas on TV what Don Jr. said sparked Donald's quest towards the White House

Wait what the hell hahaaha
"My Dad Ran Because the White House Christmas Tree Is Now a "Holiday Tree"

platzapS has issued a correction as of 08:40 on Feb 1, 2017

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Duscat posted:

If Trump is still president in July, the DJIA will be around 14000 and millions will have died. His base will still be as strong as ever, getting their news from fake news.

Krugman? Is that you?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/opinion/election-night-2016/paul-krugman-the-economic-fallout

enron advisor Paul Krugman posted:

Still, I guess people want an answer: If the question is when markets will recover, a first-pass answer is never.

but yeah, the sky is falling, if you don't believe it just ask some hack wannabe celebrity economist working for a dying medium

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress Paul Krugman, I agreed with most of what he wrote about until the primaries started, where suddenly his constant left-ish critiques re: the state of the economy pivoted overnight into "America is great, we have zero unemployment, anyone who is unhappy needs to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get a job"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Paul Krugman's always been a hack. Back in 2003 he was arguing government deficits would threaten the solvency of the US government and that bond vigilantes would inevitably punish the government's irresponsibility by jacking up interest rates.

quote:

So what? Two years ago the administration promised to run large surpluses. A year ago it said the deficit was only temporary. Now it says deficits don't matter. But we're looking at a fiscal crisis that will drive interest rates sky-high.

A leading economist recently summed up one reason why: ''When the government reduces saving by running a budget deficit, the interest rate rises.'' Yes, that's from a textbook by the chief administration economist, Gregory Mankiw.

But what's really scary -- what makes a fixed-rate mortgage seem like such a good idea -- is the looming threat to the federal government's solvency.

Here he is in 2012:

quote:

I argued yesterday that even if the heretofore invisible bond vigilantes materialize one of these days, their attack won’t have the effects the deficit hawks imagine. Because America has its own currency and a floating exchange rate, a loss of confidence would lead not to a contractionary rise in interest rates but to an expansionary fall in the dollar.

Yes, it's true he kind of topped himself in 2016 when he literally wrote a column saying "everyone is worried about the state of the country but when I walk around my expensive neighbourhood in East Side Manhattan everyone seems to be doing just swell so I don't get what the big deal is." But he's always been an idiot and a hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

call to action posted:

gently caress Paul Krugman, I agreed with most of what he wrote about until the primaries started, where suddenly his constant left-ish critiques re: the state of the economy pivoted overnight into "America is great, we have zero unemployment, anyone who is unhappy needs to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get a job"

He's consistently wrong in a way that should have discredited him forever ago, but his neighbors and friends agree with his nonsense so the sinking ship of the NY Times continues to pretend that he has some kind of insight. He's the guy saying people would never want to shop online when it was such a lush personal experience to go to the shoping mall

• Locked thread