Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play "Disney Infinity 2.0: Avengers"

Disney Infinity 2.0 has the most dubious reputation of its trilogy. Its play-sets did away with the equalized focus on platforming/open-world goofiness/melee combat in order to focus on just one of those three things: the combat. General criticisms were that the game design was too repetitious, that the characters didn't feel different enough, and that the free-roaming NYC seemed lifeless and lacking in content. I just want to show you why it's fun anyway.

Why is it fun anyway?

A few reasons, some of them more shallow than others. In order of most shallow to least:

. It's a game about superheroes going around hitting stuff. The setting is familiar if you've seen the Avengers film and its prequels, even if some of the story elements are very questionable. Tony still cracks narcissistic jokes, there's S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff plastered everywhere, and some cameos from Wasp, Sif, and Captain Marvel.

. The basic combat design is refined from the first game, making it more fun to hit things. The core is still there, make no mistake, but this time around there's more of everything good and less of everything bad. Enemies take more hits, they put up an actual fight this time, and there's more of them per conflict. It just feels a lot less trivial now that there's some challenge to be had.

. Characters feel more distinguished in their abilities and attributes. There are skill trees, unique moves for each character, and appropriate nuances to make them feel like more than palette swaps. Iron Man's rapid-firing repulsor blaster feels very different from Thor's slower, stronger hammer, for example.

So how is this going to be played?

We're playing through the Avengers Play-Set. In Disney Infinity, each play-set is like an individual game with its own story, mechanics, enemies, and missions. The Avengers play-set has 35 missions and runs about 4 to 5 hours if it's your first time through, but I've had quite a bit of practice. We're also going to be only using two characters: Thor and Iron Man. I've compiled a handy list of why this is:

1. They can fly.
2. Their play-styles compliment each other nicely, allowing me to show off both the shooting and punching almost equally.
3. It's difficult to adequately level up more than 2 characters during a single playthrough.
4. Any non-flying characters have to use the terrible motorcycle to get around.

Hopefully that answers everything. Let's get started.

Videos

Justice is a dish best served warm.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Not even Frost Giants can obstruct rush hour traffic

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It only took 3 videos to acquire an attack that breaks the design.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lookin' good, MODOK

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Thank goodness no one appears to actually be in the train.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The audio quality for this LP in particular has not been up to my usual standard and I apologize for that. The rest of the videos will still be uploaded, I just felt the need to state that I was aware of the drop in quality and have taken steps to ensure this doesn't happen in future LPs. My bad.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

All this ice and I can't even smash most of it

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Evil on the run.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lessons were learned, experiences were had, both good and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Maybe it would've been good to upload this one first.

• Locked thread