Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

McTinkerson posted:

Be careful with the GoPro helmet mounts. I'm going to sound like a buzzkill but no one else should ever end up like Michael Schumacher.

The accident report should have gotten way more press than it did and every one should have been made aware of how easily certain styles of helmet mounts can turn into force multipliers.

I had no idea this was a contributing factor, completely missed these reports. poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Compared to McClarens and Ferraris sure. For normal everyday pleb driving they are a pleasure, be warned though that a Lexus will probably ruin any other cars you have, my Scion is like driving a tin can in comparison :v:

I'm willing to bet my Acty is much more tinny than your Scion :v: :v:

HandlingByJebus posted:

I had no idea this was a contributing factor, completely missed these reports. poo poo.

Makes sense though, you have a not-designed-with-protection-in-mind thing stuck on your brain case protector so naturally it's going to multiply the gently caress out of forces applied to it and drive stuff that isn't supposed to into your head.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I feel like the mount would just snap off before it would become an actual issue.

I am seeing a lot of old news reports saying that there was going to be testing of a helmet with a gopro attached but have not come up with the results yet.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hell no. A small force on a lever, versus your neck? Plus, gopros are expensive. The mounts aren't exactly designed to be breakaway.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Today I solo-drove a manual car for the first time and it was awesome. Didn't even stall once (except when I let the clutch out after parking but before turning the car off...)

Do I buy a Miata now?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prom candy posted:

Today I solo-drove a manual car for the first time and it was awesome. Didn't even stall once (except when I let the clutch out after parking but before turning the car off...)

Do I buy a Miata now?

Miata Is Always The Answer.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

prom candy posted:

Do I buy a Miata now?

Into the fold you go, it's manuals or nothing from here on out till you old man so hard your knees don't want to cooperate anymore.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just inherited a 30 mile commute with guaranteed stop and go traffic in the middle 15, and I want an automatic so bad.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

prom candy posted:

Do I buy a Miata now?

When my FJ was still drivable the only way to stop the engine was to stall it. Well, I could just shut off the fuel, but that meant popping the hood to turn it back on again. Item number 20832 on the To-Do list is to figure out how to fix that.

E: MGS, my commute is about 10 minutes (7 with no traffic), with 10 stops one way (7 if I don't stop at Timmies), and 7 on the way home. I just retired my one and only automatic in favour a manual because the Versa I got was loaded and the other option was a povery spec Versa with an auto for $400 more, or $1000 more for any other vehicles worth considering. My decision was ultmately made based upon the fact it has a tilt steering wheel the pov spec one didn't. I'm tall, and at least I used to be fat, 218lbs is kinda low for me.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 1, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I just inherited a 30 mile commute with guaranteed stop and go traffic in the middle 15, and I want an automatic so bad.

Yuck to both parts of that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Seminal Flu posted:

Have you HEARD the sound of a 1UZ with a good exhaust system? Have you FELT a great big land barge doing a big, lurid fishtail going around a random residential corner?

Humongo Lexus LS cars are hugely underrated for their AI-ness. They're covered in a veil of old man stink, but underneath is uncorked potential in a coddling, comfortable wrapper.

Edit: Damnit, forgot it was a 1UZ.

Can't lie, one of the simple joys in my life is throwing a full-size Crown Vic around relatively mild corners with the pedal on the firewall and no fucks given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For you Phoenix goons, I now live right behind Banner Estrella, and work in Mesa. 1300-0100. Traffic isn't terrible, but that middle 15 on the 10 has random slow downs.

There's also a chance (interview on the 13th) that I may get a Trainer job at the same place for $25/hr, versus 11.xx now. But I'd have to drive the same route during rush hours, as it's a standard 9-5.

I had to drive back from Mesa to Estrella at 1630 on both Friday and last Monday in the bus. Never again.

Never again.

• Locked thread