Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Oberleutnant posted:

Snow Crash is a bad book

It's Stephenson's best work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Carecat posted:

How do we employ 10,000 people between MI5 and GCHQ? That's nearly half the number of the Pentagon which has an enormous military and bloated military spending. No wonder it costs us over 1 billion a year.

Erm... the Pentagon employs something like a million people. Are you sure you don't mean the NSA? Even then that's at least 30k people - 6 times as many as GCHQ, which is it's UK equivalent, which lines up pretty well given the UK has about a fifth of the population of the US. As for MI5, FBI and DHS, which do it's job in the US (albeit with a lot more jobs too) employ more people than all the intelligence and police agencies in the UK.

Also the budget for the two is probably a lot lower than that (£2.5bn for the Single Intelligence Budget which is shared between MI5, MI6, GCHQ, JTAC and DIS - MI6 in particular cost a lot of money, all that cash for smart suits, Aston Martins, and paternity cases). That's less than *avowed* intelligence budgets of the US three-letter agencies and given at least 95% of their budgets are entirely black... For comparison, a billion quid is more or less what NRO pays on satellite launches alone (assuming they pay market rates for their publicly-avowed launches).

I mean you can certainly argue over whether or not they deliver value for money (or if they should exist at all) but if your only comparison is America we come out pretty loving well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

MI6 in particular cost a lot of money, all that cash for smart suits, Aston Martins, and paternity cases).
Don't forget ski bags.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Is anyone else's Labour Party quarterly newsletter called THE COMRADE, or is it just my constituency?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are you sure you're on the correct mailing list?

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
who would win in a fight between trotskyite infiltrators and murdoch aligned blairite plotters?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Tories.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

JFairfax posted:

Are you sure you're on the correct mailing list?

if imgur wasn't making GBS threads the bed, then I'd link the thing but as far as the email goes it looks fairly official

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Since it's quiet again, here's something else from the archives: A UKIP FAQ, circa 1998 - http://web.archive.org/web/19981207043535/http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ian_Soulsby/krsoulsby/ukip.htm. I like this part:

quote:

Q What is your alternative to being a member of the EU?

A This is a trick question. The alternative to committing suicide is simply not to commit suicide. It is not to become a ballet dancer or a lion tamer.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer

and i must meme posted:

who would win in a fight between trotskyite infiltrators and murdoch aligned blairite plotters?

Yaldabaoth and his legions of flesh.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

and i must meme posted:

OwlFancier posted:

The Tories.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yaldabaoth and his legions of flesh.

Regarde Aduck you got beaten friend

EDIT: actually I think Yaldabaoth offers p. good healthcare and cosmic horrors are unionised

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As opposed to cosmic rays, which are usually ionised.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would vote for a union secretary named Cosmic Raymond.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That sounds like an Amiga game.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I'd probably vote literal lovecraftian starspawn over human politicians at this point. At least they have a plan, and the means to enact it. Sure they're unspeakable horrors whose very sight breaks the mind, but at least they didn't invent stuff like synthetic CDOs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe they did. I've often thought that large enough groups of people have emergent behaviors that can lead to outcomes that no individual member of the group wants, less like a hive mind and more like a systems theory of emergence tacked to sociological phenomena.

Twin this with the idea that we all know that suffering is bad and if we all universally took certain actions we could reduce it significantly, but on the swarm scale we refuse to because some other bastard would gain the upper hand and we see ourselves hanging over a heaving Darwinian pit of suffering.

That seems pretty close to the Zapffean cosmic horror of Ligotti.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The stars have been right for a couple decades now but the truth is Cthulhu is loving terrified.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Killed By Death posted:

Hillary Clinton: Just Too Left Wing
You can't go to town in a bathtub.

You can't think of maybe, say, one wacko/protest vote/out there far left candidate who might have gotten their stink on the DNC last year?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I'd rather thousands of people who can make auditable decisions curate our nation's national security intelligence than letting inscrutable AIs (owned and sold by private for profit companies) do the task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe the reality is the worst case of thousands of inscrutable people (some owned and sold by private for profit companies) doing it.

New thread is up.

• Locked thread