Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CJacobs posted:

Yes but sometimes those games also have good graphics and animation, whereas this game has consistently shown that it has none of either.

Exhibit A: Witcher 3. Some odd animations to be sure wrt hand movements, but goddamn if the facial animations and fight choreography aren't something to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

facial animations were all hosed and ugly

March thread title imo

and yeah, I'm definitely not hyped for Andromeda and this doesn't even scratch the surface of the reasons why. Lots of staff leaving, barely anything to show of the game until the month before-hand, lots of talk of "open world game" but then it's not or something, not a lot of chatter about the multiplayer, which was a great part of ME3, and while some people may have loved Inquisition, it wasn't really my thing and it's looking like large parts of the team that worked on that are on Andromeda. See: Peebee, just a cheesy character.

Still, with expectations low, I'm hoping for the best since a good game is always appreciated.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 1, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

By the by, I'm in the RCRU backer forums, so if anyone has some game design criticisms or bug reports, you can PM me them and I'll yell at the devs for you.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I finally got around to playing AM2R this week and it was good but it felt more like a Super Metroid rom hack than Metroid 2, especially since at least half of the game was new content. So I remembered that I had the original Metroid 2 on my 3DS, decided to give that a play after finishing AM2R, and... wow, that game miserably fails the test of time. Entire areas that are copy-pastes of other areas to the point where I thought I'd gone the wrong direction multiple times, random screeching noises masquerading as what I assume is supposed to be "ambient sound," the same two awful music tracks playing over and over... somehow this was all acceptable to me when I played the poo poo out of it on my Gameboy as a kid. Maybe the novelty of A Portable Metroid Game was what made it tolerable.

Lurdiak posted:

Ahahaha if you increase your max health when it's at 255 in RCRU it wraps back around to zero.

You keep talking about this game, but I looked it up and it just looks like some kind of lovely fangame that is being sold for money for some reason. Is there a reason anyone should care about it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

raditts posted:

You keep talking about this game, but I looked it up and it just looks like some kind of lovely fangame that is being sold for money for some reason. Is there a reason anyone should care about it?

It's basically the Shovel Knight of beatemups. The combat is incredibly fun, the level design is on-point, the feel of the game is perfectly suited to the old Technos aesthetic without just rehashing old stuff or falling prey to obnoxious NES limitations, the enemy AI is incredibly polished. But right now it's got a lot of bugs and has some questionable last minute design choices that make it really hard to get to the fun stuff, so I can't really recommend anyone rush out and buy it until that stuff is fixed.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 1, 2017

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

It seems like charging money for it is ... illegal??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

It seems like charging money for it is ... illegal??

I am pretty sure they have the license for the property.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
What are the questionable last minute design choices?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure they have the license for the property.

Oh then it sounds extremely cool actually.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bloodychill posted:

What are the questionable last minute design choices?

During the beta, you had access to a full combo system and a few (but not nearly all) the special moves for each character, and the stores to buy new moves weren't implemented yet. When the game launched, it didn't just remove those few special moves for everyone (which would've been fine), it removed the entire combo system, leaving you with only what amounts to a fierce jab and a quick jab for each character. Sure, there's jump kicks, a single running attack, and a grab punch, but you can't do ANY of the basic combos until you purchase the moves for them, and some of those moves are in stores you can only access quite late in the game. It's fine to gate the special throws, the super moves, the special attacks to do on downed enemies, and all that kind of fancy stuff behind purchasable upgrades. But the basic meat and potato combos? That's simply insane, and makes the game seem like it's a piece of poo poo to a new player. Even the first final fight had combos!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
That seems like a horrible change. Hopefully the devs can get their poo poo together. RCR was my all-time favorite game as a kid so seeing a successor to it have a poo poo launch hurts me deeply.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Somebody posted March of the Black Queen earlier and I think that's the best idea for a thread title

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zerilan posted:

That seems like a horrible change. Hopefully the devs can get their poo poo together. RCR was my all-time favorite game as a kid so seeing a successor to it have a poo poo launch hurts me deeply.

Yeah it makes me sad. There were only a few minor bugs left in the beta when launch was looming, so I was confident the launch would be good. Instead the full game still has those, a bunch of new bugs (kinda expected that, but didn't expect things like the health bug or other major issues) and that horrendous change. There's also a bunch of conveyance issues, which basically means you often have no idea what you're supposed to do next in a first playthrough. This is something that's only a problem for a new player, but first impressions count for a lot, and I really expected them to be better about that sort of thing considering how good literally everything else in the beta was.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

During the beta, you had access to a full combo system and a few (but not nearly all) the special moves for each character, and the stores to buy new moves weren't implemented yet. When the game launched, it didn't just remove those few special moves for everyone (which would've been fine), it removed the entire combo system, leaving you with only what amounts to a fierce jab and a quick jab for each character. Sure, there's jump kicks, a single running attack, and a grab punch, but you can't do ANY of the basic combos until you purchase the moves for them, and some of those moves are in stores you can only access quite late in the game. It's fine to gate the special throws, the super moves, the special attacks to do on downed enemies, and all that kind of fancy stuff behind purchasable upgrades. But the basic meat and potato combos? That's simply insane, and makes the game seem like it's a piece of poo poo to a new player. Even the first final fight had combos!

this is like half the reason the game sucks so hard, I had no idea it was a regular feature in the beta. It's tiring as all hell trying to fight even basic mooks with like only 3 moves. I vote this for your backer-approved suggestion 100%

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

We need March thread titles.

March of the Reboots

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It never, ever occured to me that those moves would get removed in the full game. The original RCR has a comparable number of starting moves, but the game is built around enemies getting naturally stunned, which allows you to do knockdown moves. This game's knockdowns come almost entirely from the combos you execute, so taking those combos out means enemies just don't fall, which is insane.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

GUI posted:

I don't see what the big deal is. All the Mass Effect games, and RPGs in general, have their fair share of goofy/low budget animations in their 30+ hour playtime.
commandershepardtakesaswig.gif

CJacobs posted:

Yes but sometimes those games also have good graphics and animation, whereas this game has consistently shown that it has none of either.

edit: Remember that this isn't just goofy animations, this is what they chose to show the public. This is what they decided best represents the game. They sent this to IGN in this state and said "eople who are undecided on whether or not they're gonna buy it, this is what our game will look like".

I'm a big sucker for beautiful landscapes. I've played through New Vegas multiple times, I can deal with wonky animations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

It never, ever occured to me that those moves would get removed in the full game. The original RCR has a comparable number of starting moves, but the game is built around enemies getting naturally stunned, which allows you to do knockdown moves. This game's knockdowns come almost entirely from the combos you execute, so taking those combos out means enemies just don't fall, which is insane.

I guess that explains why it's so tough to grind for monies, because there's really zero stunlock to control crowds. I was wondering why I was doing worse off than in RCR EX for GBA which actually started you off with Dragon Feet

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RCR EX is kinda the same when it comes to being frustratingly close to good. Its problems just go in the opposite direction.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

New Concept Hole posted:

When I heard that this game was going to be more like Star Trek I didn't think they meant in the combat.

her facial expression doesn't change either...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

March of the Reboots

March of the Robutts.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

a kitten posted:

March of the Robutts.

Robutts or No Butts!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Lurdiak posted:

This was really noticeable when switching from Paul after I had learned a few moves to Provie with basically nothing. Just a kick and chop that don't really combo well. It's also kind of a bummer that there's no notification for what the level requirements for the learnable moves are, so when I save up enough scratch for Viper Bite and run through a dozen screens only for the guy to be like "nope" i wasn't thrilled. I also have a problem with the way moves are listed in the menu, at least for Paul. I bought a jab, a straight, and a hook and the command for all three is "punch". I think a slightly more detailed combo tree would help me reliably punch nerds in the optimal fashion. I'll PM you a few things I noticed for you to share with the backer board.

I'm a little critical of the game but it's far from broken. I trust Lurdiak's opinion that the developers will be able to iron out the wrinkles in time. My advice would be to head west to the sauna once you get free rein, as it increased my max HP by 50% for $5.50. Then find the park that connects to the sewer and use those screens to grind out some cash.

March thread suggestion: Springtime for Zelda: Automata

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Grapplejack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9rwdaI8rCo

I honestly don't know what's going on with any of the animations in this

Ryder's reaction to the ship shaking at the beginning reminded me of when they had to fake it with the camera on 60s Star Trek, and if this were a cleverer game I would give it credit for that. Otherwise it reminds me of Foodfight!

It's like if they did mocap and then ran the numbers through a noise filter

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ryder's reaction to the ship shaking reminded me of when they had to fake it with the camera on 60s Star Trek, and if this were a cleverer game I would give it credit for that. Otherwise it reminds me of Foodfight!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I also like that she looks directly into the camera.

Edit: Also after seeing that punch animation, I am starting to hope that there is indeed some weird fourth-wall-breaking twist or something and we have just been seeing clues for it all along

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 1, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

We need March thread titles.

"March Games Chat Thread: It's March Now"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

March Games on Like a Lion

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I would love a game where you're playing as people on a really cheap and fake sci fi serial.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah I'm not sure how you could like the 2013 one but dislike the new one

plus lara is cooler in RotTR

The thing I enjoyed most about Tomb Raider 2013 is how it starts off with all the bad guys taunting her and by the end they are completely terrified of getting a climbing axe lodged in their skulls, I hear that doesn't really happen in Rise

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The thing I enjoyed most about Tomb Raider 2013 is how it starts off with all the bad guys taunting her and by the end they are completely terrified of getting a climbing axe lodged in their skulls, I hear that doesn't really happen in Rise

One thing I do like about Rise is that Lara has some pretty heavy PTSD symptoms at the beginning, and then she sees someone die and she immediately slips into murdermode. It's great, I love new Lara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
New Chat Thread

• Locked thread