Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Deviant posted:

we went skiing.

That was 2 years ago. This year we happily avoided re-enacting Deliverance at a cabin in the mountains of Tennessee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
What the hell

I thought somebody in the GroupMe said they made the new thread!!! OH NO!!!

O.K., I will start writing it up. Last chance to post any pictures from last year that we should use (yes the priest is obviously going to feature prominently)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
use the picture of the priest a lot but everytime you use it, zoom in 10% more on his face

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Fellis posted:

use the picture of the priest a lot but everytime you use it, zoom in 10% more on his face

Steamed Hams but it's a Priest at a Gaming Convention.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hello

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847330

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Besides the auction and browsing the dealers' area, what's fun to do on a general unscheduled wander-around basis? Because literally every scheduled event I was interested sold out within minutes of registration opening without me getting a single ticket, and now I find myself heading making my first ever trip to GenCon with absolutely no plans.

Are there pickup games or anything where you can have a hope of wandering into a bunch of strangers and starting a game? I'd hate for this to just be a giant shopping trip.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 24, 2018

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There is so much to do at GenCon that I honestly tell people signing up for events is a waste of time.

1) Go to any event that looks interesting and see if they'll let you in with Generics, they probably will
2) Message Goons and ask if anyone wants to play [X]. They will.
3) Eat. Good food everywhere (less good now that a bunch of great places closed :( )
4) Cardhalla
5) The dealers area isn't just an area, its like, enormous. You could spend a day in there, you probably will
6) The Hot Games Room, GM on Demand and Board Game Library all are three big rooms full of games that you spend some generics getting in and you can play a bunch of poo poo all day long

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Get. loving. GroupMe.

I'm serious. Get on there and never be wanting for something to do or someone to hang with.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My group looks at me like some kind of powerful nerd god since I can seemingly summon a horde of players for any game anyone cares to name at the drop of a hat. A couple of years ago we were walking back to the con hall and someone in the group said "You know, I wish I had a chance to play Fiasco, I've always wanted to try it" and before they finished the sentence we had a game organized and we were burning buildings down with gutter-weed in like 20 minutes. Groupme is great

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Xotl posted:

Besides the auction and browsing the dealers' area, what's fun to do on a general unscheduled wander-around basis? Because literally every scheduled event I was interested sold out within minutes of registration opening without me getting a single ticket, and now I find myself heading making my first ever trip to GenCon with absolutely no plans.

Are there pickup games or anything where you can have a hope of wandering into a bunch of strangers and starting a game? I'd hate for this to just be a giant shopping trip.

You could spend all four days in the Dealer's Hall just demoing games Non-Stop and never drop a dime over your badge price, and there'd be absolutely nothing wrong with that. You'll be fine

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

There is also the Playtest Hall for developers who are always looking for test subjects to try out their in-progress games on

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

The first year my friend and I did Gen Con we didn't have any scheduled events and had enough of a blast that we've been doing it every year since. The second year we only had two scheduled events. We got a bunch of events lined up this year, but if we hadn't our plan was basically what Nemesis of Moles outlined above. You're gonna be juuuuuuuuuuust fine.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm inquiring if anybody has crash space, whether it'd be a cot or floor or otherwise! I'd be willing to pay whatever my share would be. Those who've had me as a guest been can attest to me being decent, or at least not toxically goony. Or, at least, I presume they would. I realized the rooming situation I'm in now is going to be craaazy crowded and I figured I'd see if there's anything a bit more sane before I hand over money. Mind, I'm not leaving anybody in the lurch, I brought it up to the person hosting the room first last night before bringing it here.

In any case, feel free to PM or let me know here in the thread. It's not an emergency or anything, but I figured it'd be good to ask before I'm entirely committed to my present situation.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Back from Dice Tower Con! I was awake the last 24 hours of the con straight and just crashed for hours when I got home. Overall it was a good con and very good for the Bee game, but here are more of my thoughts on it.

DTC feels very much like the polar opposite of Gary Con. They are both roughly 3000 people in size. They both focus heavily on one gaming type, rpgs for GC and board games for DTC. They are also both held in resorts of somewhat ill-repute, since GC is at the old Playboy Resort in Lake Geneva and DTC is at just a generic resort full of people in skimpy swimsuits that are constantly at the giant pool in the center of the place that you MUST walk through evertime you want to go anywhere in the resort. They both also feature "celebrities" in their respective category of games as a major draw, with GC having virtually everyone still alive that had anything to do with the creation of D&D from the 70s to 1998, and DTC having most of the DTC main people and contributors for board games.

Thats where the similarities end. For instance, GC gives their attendees free all you can drink beer for 2 hours twice during their convention. DTC says you will be banned for life if you drink in the convention center (never mind the resort is full of bars). DTC also bans cosplay because it is too provocative (never mind the resort being full of almost naked people around the pool all the time), and well, GC doesn't really care about cosplay but its fine with it. DTC also, at least as it is written in their program, strictly enforces the 6-2-1 rule (or a life banning perhaps?), which is a little odd to me. I mean, everyone suggests you should do that, but the way its written is really odd and almost militant.

Overall if you like playing board games and doing nothing else DTC is great. They have a huge game library that has constant turnover, and the main thing to at the con is just check out games and either play them, learn them or teach them. They have a huge ballroom that fits like 1500 people just for playing games that is open 24 hours a day and it is almost always full. In fact, that is 90% of the con as there are only 2 other things to do at the con itself (you can always leave and go to Disney or something if you want). The first is go to any of the numerous live recordings of DTC shows they normally just do in their homes but are doing at the show instead. So, meh, and also not happening all the time. The only other thing going on is the exhibit hall, which is essentially a giant booth for Cool Stuff and maybe another dozen "vendors" mostly just demoing their games.

So thats my thoughts on DTC. I did have fun, but I don't know if I would go back unless I either wanted to pair it with a Disney vacation or was promoting another board game. Only about 3 weeks till Gen Con now, still the bestest con of them all!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I love you bud, but willingly going to FL in the middle of summer is a poor life choice.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

I love you bud, but willingly going to FL in the middle of summer is a poor life choice.

If you already live in Florida though, you've already committed the worst life choice.

DTC is alright, especially if you live in Orlando, and great if you like playing board games for 96 hours. There are people in the FB group who flew from as far as Portland to be there and that just seems mind boggling to me unless they were also going to Disney or Universal. I can imagine things with the rules changing or causing tension in the next couple of years when they switch venues, their contract is up soon, and it gets bigger. At its size the rules are easy to "enforce" but once they get bigger, Vasel is going to have to have his own religious police to make sure everything is within his rules. It's kind of ridiculous because the Florida Library Association has their yearly convention at the same location and they make DTC look like New Orleans.

You don't have to be blackout drunk to have a good time but if you're on vacation, at a resort, and an adult, you should be able to drink responsibly. A lifetime ban for that is extreme too. The cosplay thing is good because it's a board game con and it just doesn't seem relevant but his reasoning is dumb and is just Vasel being Vasel.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Vassel is the thought police

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

GEN CON APPROACHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

djfooboo posted:

Vassel is the thought police

Drunkfinder General

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What's the new "codenames" to be on the lookout for?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
There's a new thread, ya dinguses. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847330&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Thanks, I had no idea.

• Locked thread