Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Problem description: Since yesterday, Steam and Battle.net can't connect... but browsers, iTunes etc can still go online. This is true on two separate computers, a Windows PC and a MacBook laptop. (So malware would seem to be ruled out.) I can log onto the battle.net and steam websites through a browser, but the apps (on both computers) cannot connect- it even gives me a "cannot connect to network" error message on Steam when I try to log in on offline mode. Is there something that game service apps have in common that the router might not like if it was reset to factory settings? (I tried this but don't know if someone did that before I started troubleshooting the problem.)

Note: the last few times I tried to start up Battle.net, I do note I briefly see a black command-looking window called "Cnext". Apparently this is related to radeon settings, which is related to my graphics card... (AMD Radeon HD 7900), but I've never noticed that happening before. No idea id it's a relevant detail, but...?

Attempted fixes: Google brought me to a number of different posts about resetting ipconfig, clearing the DNS cache, power cycling/resetting the router to factory settings, etc. Nothing has had any effect. I note that I cannot ping battle.net. I don't have an antivirus nor do I use a proxy server or a VPN. I made sure Battle.net is checked in private and public on the Windows firewall. Can You See Me came up negative for me for ports 80, 443, 1119 per this page: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/300479 . Tried allowing all those in Windows Firewall, no difference. Basically I've come to the conclusion that someone dicked with either the router or modem settings, but what it was that was changed I have no idea. (I've asked, information "pending.") Meanwhile, anyone have anecdotal ideas as to what someone could change on a network to make only the gaming apps incapable of connecting?

Recent changes: None. At least on my end- if someone in the house made a change to the router settings, what are some things I should look for?? I've never had a problem with only certain types of software not being able to get online.

--

Operating system: Tried this on a Windows 7 64 bit and OS 10.11.6

System specs: Router is an Airport Extreme Base Station, Modem is Xfinity technicolor tc8305c. I can provide computer specs but since the same problem is happening on multiple systems it makes me thing it's a network issue, but I don't even know where to start looking for a problem.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The simplest test is to connect one of the computers directly to the modem and see if the behavior continues or if you can connect. That will immediately eliminate or confirm the router as the issue.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Wellp as it turned out, despite the fact that I'd added "new rules" in the Windows firewall for all the ports specified on that battle.net page, that somehow the firewall was the problem, after all. I turned it to minimum settings, and now I can get on. Not sure why the firewall blocks everything even when the specified ports are exempted, but there you go. Guess I just gotta go full Clinton on cyber security for a while so's I can get me them Year of the Rooster skins. Thanks for the reply.

• Locked thread