Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Okay so this is really loving weird one.
System specs:

msi 170a sli
gtx 1060
i5-6500
multiple SSD and hard drives.
16 gigs ram.

My computer is working fine and I'm currently typing this on it. But it's on it's side and it will not work when I stand it up.

See what happened was I tried to upgrade my CPU, but I ordered the wrong part by mistake. ( I just went with what was listed as recommended by Battlefield, thinking everything was the same.)
After pulling out the old CPU and playing with the new one, i realized I had the wrong socket.

So I put the old one back in, plug everything back in, leave the cover off to check the fans are all moving. Everything is fine.

I stand the computer upright and it won't work. So I panic.

After trying several different ideas, still no luck, but I can comfirm, it is working.

I've tightened up the cooling fan connections, cleaned the cpu of thermal paste and reapplied it. But I did get pretty careless with thermal paste and smeared it around. Socket and CPU pins are clear though. Still nothing.

It's not quite as simple as just putting on the ground. Once the computer fails, I have to clear cmos and switch to the other fan power plug to get it be back to working when on its side. (Correction: just need to turn the PSU on and off.)

Monocled Falcon fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What happens if you start the computer on its side and then stand it up?

The only way to verify if the CPU pins (or the motherboard socket/LGA) is damaged is to closely examine them from all different angles for bending.

If I had to guess this sounds more like the motherboard case may be touching the computer case and causing startup issues when positioned upright.

What kind of PSU?

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Update: After trying to get it working upright, it stopped working entirely, going to just order a new mobo and CPU.
Can confirm Hard drive is still working.

The PSU is a corsair CX750.

• Locked thread