Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Hard Target is a great movie and also marks the end of Van Damme's golden era. His next movie was the atrocious Time Cop, which was the beginning of a career death spiral of bad movies.

You aren't wrong, but it's not like Sly or Arnold made anything good past then either except for True Lies. The golden age of action movies died then, not just JCVD's career. Sure there have been some gems since, and I guess Statham and Vin Diesel and The Rock are OK. But it's just not the same as the glorious 80's/early 90's stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Gaunab posted:

Wilford Brimley became a sex symbol after his role in this movie.

I thihnk you're looking for "the 'Cocoon' thread" friend.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

For anyone still on the fence about watching this movie at one point JCVD shoots a goon multiple times in the chest, then spin-kicks him in the face and then shoots him some more

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is also pretty EE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOzkN8dHnjk

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Fact: good whisky make jackrabbit slap de bear

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I liked timecop :shrug:

But I was 9. Let's see when double team came out...1997, that's when I was like 🤔 maybe... Less than great???

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Timecop is cool. But yeah Hard Target is legitimately fun and Woo's second best US film after Face/Off. It's also easily as ridiculous as this one and has Nic Cage going nuts to fill in for JCVD.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

baller

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As with all action movies characters travel across cities and terrains with record speed. I remember the opening only because they said theyd set the guy free if he lived long enough, and then to get where he ends up in the chase scene hed have to have swum across the mississippi twice.

Poor bastard, only five minutes from retirement.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Nutsngum posted:

I think he meant "of his american movies" because if not just lol.

A better tommorrow is his best "film" but Hard Boiled tops them all in the action stakes.

Severed posted:

Yeah I know its the "popular" opinion, but Hard Boiled or The Killer are clearly superior.

After watching Hard Target for the first time I rewatched Hard Boiled for the first time in a while and I have to admit I was kind of disappointed. ABT and The Killer have artistry, heart, and finesse that makes them feel unique among a sea of samey action movies from that era, while Hard Boiled strives to be the dumb big American action movie but it falls short for me in favor of Woo's actual American work. Hard Target's action set pieces just feel way better and I think that's largely thanks to JCVD's incredible athleticism and ability to combine cinematic gunfighting with martial arts years before it became a Hollywood "thing". With Hard Boiled I just kind of felt myself getting exhausted with the action, nothing felt spectacularly striking to me. In making Hard Boiled "bigger" than ABT or The Killer, it became less exciting as hundreds of nameless goons get mowed down in a way that feels impersonal and less tailored to the talents and presence of Chow Yun Fat, who can make murdering the poo poo out of one guy really god drat intense

Hard Boiled is still a great movie but I just don't love it as much as I used to, it feels like a strange transitional effort to prove to Hollywood that Woo could make it in the west. ABT and The Killer are still amazing in their own right though

Also, none of John Woo's other movies have anything quite as amazing as "sorry about the shirt"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqvJ1yO3Cww

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I felt that way when I saw Hard Boiled for the first time. I had already seen many more contemporary action films (and american to boot) so by the time I watched it it really didnt blow me away at all.

I feel kind of the same way about the car chase scene in French Connection (which i stilled loved overall) but that part had been super hyped to me by people who had seen that film when it first came out

Anyway even though trumped by a lot of more modern chase scenes the french connection still has charm that i dont feel hard boiled does. Apples and oranges but ya that's my .02

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

pretty soft girl posted:

After watching Hard Target for the first time I rewatched Hard Boiled for the first time in a while and I have to admit I was kind of disappointed. ABT and The Killer have artistry, heart, and finesse that makes them feel unique among a sea of samey action movies from that era, while Hard Boiled strives to be the dumb big American action movie but it falls short for me in favor of Woo's actual American work. Hard Target's action set pieces just feel way better and I think that's largely thanks to JCVD's incredible athleticism and ability to combine cinematic gunfighting with martial arts years before it became a Hollywood "thing". With Hard Boiled I just kind of felt myself getting exhausted with the action, nothing felt spectacularly striking to me. In making Hard Boiled "bigger" than ABT or The Killer, it became less exciting as hundreds of nameless goons get mowed down in a way that feels impersonal and less tailored to the talents and presence of Chow Yun Fat, who can make murdering the poo poo out of one guy really god drat intense

Hard Boiled is still a great movie but I just don't love it as much as I used to, it feels like a strange transitional effort to prove to Hollywood that Woo could make it in the west. ABT and The Killer are still amazing in their own right though

Also, none of John Woo's other movies have anything quite as amazing as "sorry about the shirt"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqvJ1yO3Cww

My favorite part of this clip is where the camera focuses on the helmet dude's helmet. It's like you can see the fear in his eyes even though you can't see through the blacked out visor.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dogmeat posted:

You aren't wrong, but it's not like Sly or Arnold made anything good past then either except for True Lies. The golden age of action movies died then, not just JCVD's career. Sure there have been some gems since, and I guess Statham and Vin Diesel and The Rock are OK. But it's just not the same as the glorious 80's/early 90's stuff.

Have you seen the recent Fast & Furious movies

They're basically "why haven't we done hilariously insane 80's stunts with our hundreds millions dollar budgets yet"

The Rock has to save his family so he flexes to break his cast

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XBmsl7wbIQ

My spirit animal is the silly action poses rock and statham make @ each other

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 4, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dogmeat posted:

Escape Plan was underrated.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
There is not nearly enough love in this thread for the devil himself Lance Henriksen or his BFF Arnold Vosloo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I-k7fSMhg8

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah it was sweet when Arnold went nuts and was yelling in German. That was the best bit of acting I ever saw out of him. Probably because he didn't have that silly accent.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
They apparently made a sequel just last year?

Hard Target 2

I would have loved to hear the pitch for this sequel to a movie that nobody under the age of 30 would probably even remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Neurolimal posted:

Have you seen the recent Fast & Furious movies

I can't say I've kept up with all of them. They aren't my favorites, but I do appreciate the effort. I don't know what I really find wrong with them, they just seem to fall a little more on the "dumb" side than the "cheesy" side in my opinion.

I'm also just prejudiced against PG-13 action movies but I understand why they do it and they're at least leagues better than any of the Transformer/GI Joe/comic book garbage we usually get these days.

• Locked thread