Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howling_mad
May 11, 2014
AI I need your help!

My brother and I are having an argument. Since he's the engineer of the family I find myself second guessing my own judgment.

From what I'm seeing there's two different kinds of prominent steel wheels for passenger cars (this question does not take trucks and SUVs into question!) in the marketplace. One that has a collar/lip and one that doesn't. Quick comparison:

We got into an argument about how they mount. I explained that they are lug-centric (often acorn style nuts, sometimes collared) and that when mounted they mount/press to the wheel hub. This either exposes the wheel hub if it's not collared, or if it is the collar rests on the wheel hub. Example:

He on the other end believes that there are cases where the steel wheel itself does not mate or touch the wheel hub, and that it's possible for no wheel hub to be exposed at all. So basically it's behind the opening of the wheel.

Am I wrong on this? I understand his argument, but guess I always thought that all wheels sit against the hub. Any examples?

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
For the most part, any wheel that comes on the car from the factory that's meant to be it's long term standard wheel will be hub-centric and have some sort of lip. In over 15 years I can't recall seeing one that wasn't that way. The open one you show above seems like a multi-use full-size temporary spare.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Joe Mama posted:

For the most part, any wheel that comes on the car from the factory that's meant to be it's long term standard wheel will be hub-centric and have some sort of lip. In over 15 years I can't recall seeing one that wasn't that way. The open one you show above seems like a multi-use full-size temporary spare.

Steel wheels are generally lug centric. I suppose if your in the south this aren't common at all. These are just examples of standard winter steel wheels.

Sorry I should have specified.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

howling_mad posted:

He on the other end believes that there are cases where the steel wheel itself does not mate or touch the wheel hub, and that it's possible for no wheel hub to be exposed at all. So basically it's behind the opening of the wheel.
I'm not sure what he means here. How can the wheel not touch the hub?

howling_mad posted:

Steel wheels are generally lug centric.
?

I cannot recall the last time I saw a regular car wheel that wasn't hubcentric, the presence of tapered bolts/nuts is a bit of a red herring there. Some old stuff definitely is centred purely by the fasteners, but nowadays, I'd struggle to name any.

The idea of lugcentric wheels being sold as a fitment for cars that are fitted as standard with hubcentric ones strikes me as an "it'll do" bodge that allows universal fitment based purely on PCD rather than the centre bore also.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Lugs are good at holding things together, not up. A lug is not made to resist sheering. Golf cart they are fine. 70 mph automobile, yikes. That multiwheel probably says 30 mph limit or something. If the hub does not fit, driving you should quit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Lugs are good at holding things together, not up. A lug is not made to resist sheering. Golf cart they are fine. 70 mph automobile, yikes. That multiwheel probably says 30 mph limit or something. If the hub does not fit, driving you should quit.

Here are some 8x200 spacers for a 9000lb truck designed to haul another 4000lbs with nothing but lugs holding everything together!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8x200-WHEELS-SPACERS-ADAPTERS-8-Lug-Ford-F350-Dually-/380186575148

Does the truck beside you on the highway riding on the bumpstops have these bolted up? who knows!

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

InitialDave posted:

I'm not sure what he means here. How can the wheel not touch the hub?

?

I cannot recall the last time I saw a regular car wheel that wasn't hubcentric, the presence of tapered bolts/nuts is a bit of a red herring there. Some old stuff definitely is centred purely by the fasteners, but nowadays, I'd struggle to name any.

The idea of lugcentric wheels being sold as a fitment for cars that are fitted as standard with hubcentric ones strikes me as an "it'll do" bodge that allows universal fitment based purely on PCD rather than the centre bore also.

Yeah no idea on the wheel not touching the hub. Maybe he's thinking some kind of spacer setup? I've never used them.

PCD?

From what I'm seeing most steel wheel lines have 20 ish versions with different bolt patterns and centerbore sizes.

I personally am using oem which seems to be a pretty close fit, but I have acorn lugs which would help to center it up if it was more of a universal fit. They certainly aren't all specific.

Elephanthead posted:

Agreed, but Google shows that they are definitely a thing. For better or worse I guess.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Don't forget that, as with almost any assembly using threaded fasteners, the thing is actually held together by the clamped surface joint. Things like hub centres or tapered seats are for location, if you're asking them to act as the actual support of the load, something's probably wrong.
Pitch Circle Diameter: The diameter of a circle drawn through the centre point of all the studs. So if someone says they have a 4x100 mounting, they mean 4 studs arranged around a circle 100mm diameter, i.e. each stud is 50mm out from the centre of the wheel.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 6, 2017

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

InitialDave posted:

Don't forget that, as with almost any assembly using threaded fasteners, the thing is actually held together by the clamped surface joint. Things like hub centres or tapered seats are for location, if you're asking them to act as the actual support of the load, something's probably wrong.

Pitch Circle Diameter: The diameter of a circle drawn through the centre point of all the studs. So if someone says they have a 4x100 mounting, they mean 4 studs arranged around a circle 100mm diameter, i.e. each stud is 50mm out from the centre of the wheel.

Very good point!

Thanks for the info, learn something new everyday!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

howling_mad posted:

Thanks for the info, learn something new everyday!
Many cars share a common PCD, but with a different bore on the hub centre. For instance, I have some Audi wheels with a 4x108 PCD. I have Ford wheels, also with a 4x108 PCD. But the Ford design uses a 63.4mm centre bore, and the Audi design 57.1mm, so although they're nominally the same, I cannot put the Audi wheels on my Ford, and if I put the Ford wheels on an Audi, the fit will be toward the wizard's sleeve end of the scale.

To allow themselves the largest market for a given PCD drilling, aftermarket wheels will often come with a centre bore of 70+mm, and you use spigot rings to reduce this to the correct size for your application.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
There are rings you're supoosed to use with lug-centric wheels to fill in the space between the hole and the hub.

Nobody uses them and big box stores don't install them.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 7, 2017

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

InitialDave posted:

Many cars share a common PCD, but with a different bore on the hub centre. For instance, I have some Audi wheels with a 4x108 PCD. I have Ford wheels, also with a 4x108 PCD. But the Ford design uses a 63.4mm centre bore, and the Audi design 57.1mm, so although they're nominally the same, I cannot put the Audi wheels on my Ford, and if I put the Ford wheels on an Audi, the fit will be toward the wizard's sleeve end of the scale.

To allow themselves the largest market for a given PCD drilling, aftermarket wheels will often come with a centre bore of 70+mm, and you use spigot rings to reduce this to the correct size for your application.

Ah, you own a Focus or Fiesta I presume. The Fiesta ST has that same odd bolt pattern. I understand bore sizing, so that makes complete sense.

Also you must be in the UK? We call them hub rings over here. They definitely make sense.

Fermented Tinal posted:

There are rings you're supoosed to use with lug-centric wheels to fill in the space between the hole and the hub.

Nobody uses them and big box stores don't install them.

Absolutely. For steel wheels they're extremely uncommon.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

Does the truck beside you on the highway riding on the bumpstops have these bolted up? who knows!

Not seeing a DOT number on the part.

https://www.google.com/search?q=whe...KHWuUAzQQsAQIJw

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

howling_mad posted:

Ah, you own a Focus or Fiesta I presume. The Fiesta ST has that same odd bolt pattern. I understand bore sizing, so that makes complete sense.

Also you must be in the UK? We call them hub rings over here. They definitely make sense.
Yeah, I'm British. I do happen to have a Focus at present (parts car), but 4x108 mounting was a staple for euro Fords for decades anyway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Would somebody really do that? just bolt something not DOT approved to their car?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Powershift posted:

Would somebody really do that? just bolt something not DOT approved to their car?

That sounds scandalous indeed. We should write our MPs and MPPs to tell them there needs to be some sort of inspection process to ensure that vehicles are safe to be on the road.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Powershift posted:

Is this sarcasm? At least in the US, absolutely. 99% of things bolted to cars aren't dot approved.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

howling_mad posted:

Is this sarcasm? At least in the US, absolutely. 99% of things bolted to cars aren't dot approved.

Sarcasm? me? nooooooo.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Powershift posted:

Sarcasm? me? nooooooo.

Haha.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I believe that is what we call :thejoke:

Greater than 50W headlights are illegal but I can buy 100W H4s just about everywhere here in the frozen wastelands of midwestern ontario.

My greatest pet-peeve about driving is other people's headlights for a reason.

The new fiberglass cab for my cruiser, any steel weld-on panels, and the aluminum bodies are all not approved for road use. As are the aftermaket frames. Literally every vehicle Icon builds is mostly not DOT-approved.

E: Admittedly, most of that time that is due to the manufacturers not wanting to invest in the cost of getting approval. You'll see this on a lot of off-road parts too, even the stupid-heavyduty suspension poo poo.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 8, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

And here I thought all the HIDZ kits were somehow DOT approved for blinding the gently caress out of everybody for miles around including any aircraft flying overhead

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Honestly, the problem isn't how bright they are, it's that nobody can loving aim headlights properly and brotruckers with block lifts are the worst for this.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

counterpoint: about half the times I've had headlight rage the past year or so it's been those new facelifted LED-lit Corollas.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

counterpoint: about half the times I've had headlight rage the past year or so it's been those new facelifted LED-lit Corollas.

The LED headlights in the new ford pickups are holy gently caress off bright. If the superdutys squat like the old ones with a load on, they're going to damage people's vision.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
What I want to know is what car has brake lights that are a single bar light across the middle of the car's rear end with an upside town trapezoid light underneath.

I saw it the other night.

As for led headlights being fuckoff bright, well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JVqRy0sWWY

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

gently caress YOU TOYOTA!

Also gently caress Honda Civics and their blue dashes, and short throw for the headlight stock, and their inattentive drivers who always have their high beams on because they're just absolutely clueless. :supaburn:

I swear this headlight madness is going to make me go postal.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

What I want to know is what car has brake lights that are a single bar light across the middle of the car's rear end with an upside town trapezoid light underneath.

I saw it the other night.

As for led headlights being fuckoff bright, well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JVqRy0sWWY
like this?

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Powershift posted:

like this?

I saw one like that but I think it was a Kia. It was a sedan and bright as hell.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
As I've gotten older I've started getting more eye irritation from bright lights at night. All of these loving fucksticks with bright-as-gently caress lights not adjusted properly are loving killing me. The Lincoln and Ford SUVs are loving terrible.

I want mirrors that cut bright lights.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 8, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

As I've gotten older I've started getting more eye irritation from bright lights at night. All of these loving fucksticks with bright-as-gently caress lights not adjusted properly are loving killing me. The Lincoln and Ford SUVs are loving terrible.

I want mirrors that cut bright lights.

Ironically, most ford and lincoln SUVs come with auto-dimming mirrors.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Powershift posted:

like this?

No, it was more like this:

And I think the vehicle was a sedan or a crossover, can't really recall because all I saw was the rear end.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It used to be very common for wheels to not be hub centric. Tighten the lugs carefully and the wheel is perfectly centered. My '66 Volvo doesn't even have hub pilots at all:

With the advent of impact guns, the hub has become necessary to ensure wheel centering because of idiots who'd ram the first bolt down with the wheel slightly off center, and it'd be tight enough that the cones of the other nuts couldn't re-center the wheel.

Also lug bolts have become more common, and a hub is absolutely necessary for cars with those. It's hard enough to get the wheel clocked right to start them while hanging on the hub.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
The H1 hummer had ..for a short while, a one piece steel wheel option that was available as a downgrade from the usual 16 bolt 2 part double beadlock wheel which was lug centric like the military hmmwv wheels.

The one piece steel wheel was hub centric and used flanged lugnuts. Unpopular wheel and design and didn't last long. [The QC sucked and many were out of round even more so than the military specials :v: ]

Eventually, they got Hutchinson to make DOT legal double bead lock Aluminum wheels and steel stopped being an option. [They make similar wheels under the Rock Monster brand as the H1's now for other makes / models]

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 9, 2017

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

LloydDobler posted:

It used to be very common for wheels to not be hub centric. Tighten the lugs carefully and the wheel is perfectly centered. My '66 Volvo doesn't even have hub pilots at all:

With the advent of impact guns, the hub has become necessary to ensure wheel centering because of idiots who'd ram the first bolt down with the wheel slightly off center, and it'd be tight enough that the cones of the other nuts couldn't re-center the wheel.

Also lug bolts have become more common, and a hub is absolutely necessary for cars with those. It's hard enough to get the wheel clocked right to start them while hanging on the hub.

Whoa. What kind of Volvo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I think he has a 166 with a modernish turbo 5 cylinder?

There's a thread about it in archives.

• Locked thread