Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cobra_Commander
Jan 5, 2017

:siren:SHITPOSTER ALERT!:siren:

Put this Nazi-loving dipshit on ignore immediately!
It's been a while since I've built a gaming pc. I've had several ASUS ROG gaming laptops in the past. Just wanted some opinions. I was using PC Gamers recommendations for the "best high end gaming PC" as a reference but may opt for different components. I'm trying to keep it under $2500 (under $3000 with 4k monitor). Looking to build a pc capable of 4k gaming at a decent framerate (preferrably 60fps or >) and VR. May buy an Oculus Rift at some point.

Here is the article from PC Gamer I was referencing. I'm just using it as a reference. I may opt for larger capacity SSDs and higher end CPU. How would you rate their recommendations? Should I change anything?

http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-build-guide-high-end-gaming-pc/

(CPU) - Intel Core i7-6700k
(Motherboard) - ASUS Maxiums VIII Hero
(RAM) - G.Skill Ripjaws 4 (32GB) *** I will probably go newer with Ripjaws V ***
(Video) - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW DT Gaming ACX 3.0
(PSU) - EVGA Supernova 850 watt G2 80 Plus Gold
(SSD) - Samsung 950 Pro 256GB / for OS volume (I may opt for 512GB)
(SSD) - Samsung 850 EVO 1TB / for Data volume (I may opt for 2TB)
(CPU Cooler) - Corsair H100i V2
(Case) Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5

Thanks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
There's a thread for this but wait 1 month for the 1080ti and you have way too many watts unless you plan on SLI'ing later though it is a good unit you picked. I'd opt for 512 NVME as you noted over the 256

Cobra_Commander
Jan 5, 2017

1gnoirents posted:

There's a thread for this but wait 1 month for the 1080ti and you have way too many watts unless you plan on SLI'ing later though it is a good unit you picked. I'd opt for 512 NVME as you noted over the 256

Thanks.

The 1080ti will probably be out of my price range though. If it's $800 or less then maybe

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Cobra_Commander posted:

Thanks.

The 1080ti will probably be out of my price range though. If it's $800 or less then maybe

Just copy paste your OP into the megathread for way way way more answers. At 2500 though for a gaming machine, move some numbers around to budget for the 1080ti, such as ram or motherboard choice. You can argue for the i7 as well, but that thread will take care of you

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($343.49 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($102.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($229.00 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($479.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card ($599.99 @ B&H)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case ($125.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($116.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2198.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-06 20:39 EST-0500

This still leaves room in the budget for a 1080ti instead of the 1080.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobra_Commander
Jan 5, 2017

1gnoirents posted:

Just copy paste your OP into the megathread for way way way more answers. At 2500 though for a gaming machine, move some numbers around to budget for the 1080ti, such as ram or motherboard choice. You can argue for the i7 as well, but that thread will take care of you

ok, thanks everyone. I'll re-post on the mega thread. I'm new here and missed that thread.

• Locked thread