Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This game isn't flawless, but it is perfect. Okami is one of my favourite games bar none. If you've never played or experienced it, enjoy the ride.

The HD version on PS3 is probably the best re-master I've ever played too. And if you want some more staggering technical prowess, Hexadrive said the HD version renders at 4k and downscales to 1080p. Which is mindblowing for a PS3.
http://hexadrive.sblo.jp/article/59698038.html#more

e: Images in article may be ahead of videos so take caution when viewing if new to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Addd me to the "like Rosaries the best" camp. It helps that they're the least finicky weapon in the Wii version. Just shake the Wii remote and you're done. Only thing you have to worry about is your arm getting tired. The third weapon type is the most finicky with the waggle and consequently that's the one I use the least.

Also, I like Waka. :colbert: Fight me.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah, the shields and rosaries are the easiest to use in the Wii version. I couldn't really get the third type down at all so I stuck with the beads.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of... I'm trying to play my copy on Dolphin. Surprisingly my problem isn't emulating the controls, but the graphics. I dunno if it's just me, or maybe I've got the wrong settings, but the graphics make me kinda queasy.

Anyone got ideas?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I played the original PS2 version so I used my newest weapon during my first playthrough and stuck to the third weapon type on subsequent playthroughs.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This game isn't flawless, but it is perfect. Okami is one of my favourite games bar none. If you've never played or experienced it, enjoy the ride.

The HD version on PS3 is probably the best re-master I've ever played too. And if you want some more staggering technical prowess, Hexadrive said the HD version renders at 4k and downscales to 1080p. Which is mindblowing for a PS3.
http://hexadrive.sblo.jp/article/59698038.html#more

e: Images in article may be ahead of videos so take caution when viewing if new to the game.

Thanks, I like the insight that this article gives on the upscaling technology.

Expanding for those who didn't read: Okami on PS3 has two big things done for the PS3 version. One is the resolution; like said, the version renders internally at 3840x2160 then halves the resolutions. It's a crude way to do antialiasing, but if the system can handle it, it works well.

The other thing is what they call Super Resolution. That's a technique of upscaling (or reconstructing) images from smaller ones by prediction. You resize a single image with various algorithms, comparing the end results' differences to guess what pixels are significant after resize. It's not ever gonna be perfect but seems to work well here. However, I don't think the article says whether the game does it on the fly or whether it was done ahead of time. Probably the latter.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Anyone got ideas?

E: You could post a screenshot, but it might be better to ask in the Dolphin community.

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 21, 2017

rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011

Anaxite posted:

It's possible that one of those games renders 3d outlines in the same way, but I think rendering similarities stop there. Wind Waker doesn't even seem to use borders on 3d models, instead opting for the flat shading part only? Still, the intent is similar: recreating a style found in a 2d physical medium.

They are both two independently brilliant ways of accomplishing the same visual effect. I don't know who created the rendering effects on each, but given the hardware at the time there were some genius artist/engineers at work. If this were sculpture, this would be some Bernini level poo poo, the sort of thing that's going to have engine designers trying to imitate for decades. Between Okami and Wind Waker you are literally looking at the Renaissance of cel-shaded rendering right here.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Who's this drum goblin?

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

From Episode 5, one thing to point out is that while you don't NEED to keep practicing your new moves, if you do so enough times, you get free healing items.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

HOLY gently caress HOW HAVE I NEVER NOTICED THIS OH MY GOD

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
Seeing as it hasn't been brought up yet, I'll just mention that the back of the manual (at least, in the UK PS2 version) covers (very briefly) some of the cultural and linguistic aspects of the game (including translations for a number of kanji). The largest section does of course go to Amaterasu Omikami, but I want to mention the manual's comments regarding Issun's folktale inspiration.

Issun Boushi
This tale concerns a tiny adventurer whose name should sound familiar.
Also appearing in this tale is the [Redacted key item spoiler] that shows up in the game.

Real informative, wouldn't you agree?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Hey poorlywrittennovel, everything okay?

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Anaxite posted:

Hey poorlywrittennovel, everything okay?

Breath of the Wild came out about a week after our last recording session :v:. I have the audio edited I just have to stop being lazy and put it together.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I feel like that happened to a lot of LPers recently. :v:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

poorlywrittennovel posted:

Breath of the Wild came out about a week after our last recording session :v:. I have the audio edited I just have to stop being lazy and put it together.

I'm glad you'll keep playing the game. This LP has prompted me to finally beat the PS3 version of Okami, and it's not even funny how much easier controlling the brush is without a Wiimote. I think the pointer just shakes too much for these tiny movements. Once you know how to turn the analog stick on the DS3, it's almost impossible to gently caress up drawing circles and stuff.

Playing the game for a second time also reminded me that there are actually items you can use to make the game easier. It's quite a game changer, I tell you. :doh:

This game is also really long. You'll probably still be here next year, if you don't tap out. (It was more like 45 hours for me, though, and I was pretty thorough.)

And More fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 28, 2017

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

poorlywrittennovel posted:

Breath of the Wild came out about a week after our last recording session :v:.

This. Also NieR: Automata. Its been a good month for games, you guys.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

I swear to god I didn't forget about this thread. Fae just didn't yell at me enough to update. Have the last full session we did in it's entirety to make up for it.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Hooray, Zelda didn't kill this! :woop: So here are some notes for your episode 7.

---

7:44 - The big statue looks like a Dogū (土偶) - small humanoid and animal figurines made during the late Jōmon period (14,000–400 BC) of prehistoric Japan.

13:09 - Our new enemy is named... the physalis! Or the husk tomato, ground cherry, Chinese lantern plant, etc. They look really cool when they're dry, and you may notice we've seen some around the level already:
(Thanks wikipedia!)

There are a couple variations on the Japanese word for physalis, but the typical one appears to be 酸漿 (ほおずき/hōzuki). However, the enemy name is an alternate form written as 鬼灯. It has the same pronunciation, but the alternate characters roughly mean "ghost/devil lantern".

But we're still fighting giant fruits, or Bulbasaurs. Take your pick.

18:38 - Those do look like haniwa. Terracotta clay figures for burial use.

30:17 - New god name:
  • Tsutagami is written 蔦神. 蔦 means "vine" or "ivy". Pretty self-explanatory.
And his vine technique displays the character 結, "tie" or "bind".

36:05 - The checkpoint gate has the character 続 written on it. Unsurprisingly, it means "continue".

38:29 - The Japanese name for the boss monster is 女郎蜘蛛 (じょろうぐも/jorōgumo), which is a kind of orb-weaving spider.
女郎 is apparently also a term for a prostitute, so there's some interesting etymology.

44:18 - The cutscene scrolls not only show the story, they label the various elements. You can see Amaterasu's name, as well as Issun's full name - Issun-bōshi (一寸法師). It's been visible on other screens too.
I'm not gonna transcribe the other stuff unless someone's super curious.

50:30 - Kiba is a fang trader. Kiba (牙) means fang. Yep.

1:11:11-

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Anaxite posted:

38:29 - The Japanese name for the boss monster is 女郎蜘蛛 (じょろうぐも/jorōgumo), which is a kind of orb-weaving spider.
女郎 is apparently also a term for a prostitute, so there's some interesting etymology.

Ah yes the Jorōgumo, a yōkai that I've actually talked about before in another LP thread where the woman spider was a boss in the game so I'll just let my past self explain for me:

Chimera-gui posted:

The other notable yōkai of this episode is the Jorōgumo who's the most well-known of the arachnid yōkai and is a golden orb-weaver that has reached 400 years of age, developing magical powers and begins to feed on human prey instead of insects. Their name is written with kanji that mean “entangling bride.” However, these characters were added on to her name much later to cover up the original meaning of the name: “whore spider.”

The jorōgumo’s favorite prey is young, handsome men who looking for love and when she spots her desired prey, she invites him into her home and he is usually never seen again. They can spin silk threads strong enough to ensnare a grown man so that he cannot escape. They also have a powerful venom that can slowly weaken a man day by day, allowing the spider to savor the long and painful death her victim suffers. They can also control other, lesser spiders, even employing fire-breathing spiders to burn down the homes of any who grow suspicious of them. A jorōgumo can operate like this for years and years, even in the middle of a busy city, while the desiccated skeletons of hundreds of youth build up in her home.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Just some notes on the boss: You can indeed hit multiple eyes at once, but it's kind of a hassle. A much easier solution is to simply slash the eyes with your paint brush. So get in some normal hits, and then slash to your heart's content. It's also not a bad idea to remember the two functions of the hookshot flowers. If you use them to get behind the boss, it makes getting at the hooks on the spider's back really trivial.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
On the subject of spiders, Black Widows have kind of a bad reputation. They're non-aggressive and their venom, while dangerous, is not lethal except possibly to very young children or those already in poor health.

I had a few of them living around the outside of my house a couple years back. I left them alone and they left me alone. They only bite humans defensively, so if you aren't purposely antagonizing them they probably aren't going to do anything except run away and hide from you.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
One last thing before I move on: As you can guess by my mentioning it being a boss in another game, the Jorōgumo has appeared in popular culture on a fairly regular basis with another notable example being the Digimon Arukenimon:

Which is more explicit in its official profile:

Digimon Reference Book posted:

A Demon Beast Digimon which has the appearance of the "Queen of Spiders" of Greek mythology. As the queen who presides over all Dokugumon, it is a highly intelligent and extremely cunning Digimon. It is skilled at transforming into a human-like appearance, getting the opponent to let down their guard so that it can approach and completely devour them. Also, because of its extremely short temper and ferocious personality, many Digimon are afraid of it. Its Special Moves are chopping up the opponent with razor-sharp wires (Spider Thread), and attacking the opponent with the countless carnivorous Dokugumon hidden in its abdomen (Predation Spider).

And Tyty, Bud Ogres are in fact the enemy with Bloom as their Floral Finisher.

Oh and you're wrong about the first sword being elemental, it's actually the last weapon of each type that is elemental which also why those three weapons don't carry over into new game plus whereas every weapon that comes before them does regardless of weapon type.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 12, 2017

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Chimera-gui posted:

Ah yes the Jorōgumo, a yōkai that I've actually talked about before in another LP thread where the woman spider was a boss in the game so I'll just let my past self explain for me:

That's pretty cool, and seems completely in line with a lot of Japanese norms and monster origin stories.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Thanks for using the thick brush! The river game gave me a lot of trouble, those flowers disappear really quickly and the time isn't as generous as it looks.

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012
Yes, Waka is based off of a historical figure, as is Yoichi. Not entirely sure if it would constitute a spoiler to identify who specifically; I don't believe it actually plays into the plot at all, but I'm not sure.

Zanna fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 12, 2017

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I'm assuming there's no 720p version of this available?

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Teledahn posted:

I'm assuming there's no 720p version of this available?

This episode ended up having a pile of tech issues on the back end, to the point where I had to outsource editing to Fae. I'm assuming whatever software she used just won't output the raw footage at 720p or something.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Even better: I had to run the footage through handbrake before premiere would play nice with it so I probably forgot to set the resolution correctly when I did that :V

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

We are recording today which means I'm posting another image with no context

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Faerie Fortune posted:

This will probably be relevant in 3 months.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Faerie Fortune posted:

Unfortunately googling "goat okami cosplay" didn't give any good results.

:eng101: Edit: I'm only just getting around to watching the last video so I'll give Ty some peace of mind and tell him that the severity of the hobo spider bite is still pretty undetermined. There is only one case of necrosis after a verified hobo bite and that was in a person that had a skin condition that causes chronic lesions, so it's possible they were unrelated events. The problem with definitive statements about spider bites is that bites from most species are so astronomically rare that there isn't near enough evidence to make a conclusion.

For what it's worth I spent six years of my life in your city and have never seen one despite being the kind of person that actively seeks out spiders :)

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 1, 2017

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Faerie Fortune posted:

I don't need context. Honestly I just think tiny goats are cute.

glocknar
May 17, 2017

Faerie Fortune posted:

Honestly, this doesn't need a quote, the sass speaks for itself

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Faerie Fortune posted:

No context needed for Sassy Goat. Look at the wittle feetsies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
This LP makes me regret trading in my PS3 (fat one, with full PS 1&2 compatibility!), because I really want to play this game again.

• Locked thread