Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nioh is an action RPG developed by Team Ninja of Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive fame. Originally beginning as a multi-media project helmed by Kou Shibusawa and based on an unfinished Akira Kurosawa script in 2004, it eventually found its way into Team Ninja's hands who have been developing it over the past several years. The game could be described succinctly as a combination of Dark Souls, Ninja Gaiden, and Diablo. It features many of the trappings of Dark Souls (e.g. checkpoints mid-level where you can level up your character, a replenishable healing item, and a drop-in drop-out co-op system) while having a more in-depth combat system reminiscent of Ninja Gaiden (i.e. few classes of weapons that have complex movesets and are customizable to a degree) and Diablo-style colored-tiered loot with random bonuses. It also adds plenty of new mechanics into the mix, such as a mission-based level structure and guardian spirits that give you passive bonuses and can manifest themselves temporarily to attack.

Plot-wise the game takes place in a fictionalized Sengoku period Japan, where fickle and often malevolent spirits known as yokai wander the lands. It stars William (based off of real-life historical figure William Adams) as he chases after the alchemist Kelley (based off of real-life historical figure Edward Kelley), who seeks to plunge Japan into total war.

This LP will be two-fold. Inspired by DazzlingAdar's (sadly abandoned) Dark Souls III LP (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772090) there will be two playthroughs of the game. The first will be a blind playthrough, my first run of the game. Streamed live on my Twitch (starting today), I'll be chopping it up into more digestible chunks (as well as employing editing if necessary). The second playthrough will be in an informative walkthrough style where I attempt to show off as much of the game as possible. Don't expect that to show up for at least a month.

Episode 1 - Tower of London
Episode 2 - Isle of Demons 1/4
Episode 3 - Isle of Demons 2/4
Episode 4 - Isle of Demons 3/4
Episode 5 - Isle of Demons 4/4 (Onryoki fight)
Episode 6 - Deep in the Shadows 1/3
Episode 7 - Deep in the Shadows 2/3
Episode 8 - Deep in the Shadows 3/3 (Hino-enma fight)
Episode 9 - The Spirit Stone Slumbers 1/3
Episode 10 - The Spirit Stone Slumbers 2/3 (Nue fight)
Episode 11 - The Spirit Stone Slumbers 3/3 (Tachibana Muneshige fight)
Episode 12 - A Request From Ginchiyo + Tachibana Muneshige Duel
Episode 13 - The Silver Mine Writhes 1/2
Episode 14 - The Silver Mine Writhes 2/2 (Great Centipede fight)
Episode 15 - The Three Angry Gods
Episode 16 - The Ocean Roars Again 1/2
Episode 17 - The Ocean Roars Again 2/2 (Umi-bozu fight)
Episode 18 - The Conspirators (and other sub-missions)
Episode 19 - Heir to the Nioh and The Ogress
Episode 20 - Spider Nest Castle 1/2
Episode 21 - Spider Nest Castle 2/2 (Joro-gumo fight)
Episode 22 - Falling Snow (Yuki-onna fight)
Episode 23 - The Demon of Mount Hiei 1/2
Episode 24 - The Demon of Mount Hiei 2/2 (White Tiger fight)
Episode 25 - The Iga Escape 1/2
Episode 26 - The Iga Escape 2/2 (Great Toad fight)
Episode 27 - Memories of Death Lillies (Ogress fight)
Episode 28 - The Defiled Castle 1/2
Episode 29 - The Defiled Castle 2/2 (Honda Tadakatsu fight)
Episode 30 - Immortal Flame 1/2
Episode 31 - Immortal Flame 2/2 (Saika Magoichi)
Episode 32 - Sekigahara (Otani Yoshitsugu & Shima Sakon fights)
Episode 33 - The Source of Evil (Gasha-dokuro fight)

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantslessScot
Dec 4, 2007
Are You Surprised?
Well, thank you very much for running through this. I was actually looking for something like this, since I wanted to get a good look at the game before deciding to buy it myself. Even though i'm a huge nerd for Dark Souls-type games.

Looks like i'll be grabbing this at some point now...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
After seeing the GB quick look of the game, I really don't like the Dark Souls comparison. The level design and combat feel somewhat Dark Souls inspired, but for me that's where the comparison ends. They're fairly different games.

That isn't to say that Nioh looks bad. I really want to pick it up if there's a Steam release. Some googling indicates this isn't likely though :(

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to follow your lp, PantslessScot.

zA Zombie
Dec 31, 2011
Its nice seeing someone take on the game, while blindly, in a different manner than I am at the moment. I personally am going through the game with a single katana build simply because I really love the Onimusha vibe it gave me during the alpha/beta/final chance trial.

PantslessScot
Dec 4, 2007
Are You Surprised?

ViggyNash posted:

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to follow your lp, PantslessScot.

Oh god what I didn't agree to this I live in bumfuck nowhere and don't even have fiber internet aaaaa

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

PantslessScot posted:

Oh god what I didn't agree to this I live in bumfuck nowhere and don't even have fiber internet aaaaa

For a second I was severely worried that I had a split personality with their own SA account. Whew.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So several tutorials so far have mentionned that while in the Living Weapon mode you can activate a spirit's unique skill by pressing triangle+circle again, but I don't think you've used it yet. Care to demonstrate what it does?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Aumanor posted:

So several tutorials so far have mentionned that while in the Living Weapon mode you can activate a spirit's unique skill by pressing triangle+circle again, but I don't think you've used it yet. Care to demonstrate what it does?

Oh, right, that is a thing. Eh, I'll try and remember to do it at some point.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Why is there no i??? I'm dying......

(I've watched all of the first mission so far, and this game seems pretty fun! Don't have a ps4 so I'll definitely be following this. But that typo..... help....)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Why is there no i??? I'm dying......

(I've watched all of the first mission so far, and this game seems pretty fun! Don't have a ps4 so I'll definitely be following this. But that typo..... help....)

There's totally an "I" there. Best font I could find that mimics the title font.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Genocyber posted:

There's totally an "I" there. Best font I could find that mimics the title font.

But now the damage is done, and I can only read that as "BLND". It's a surprisingly funny sound to make.

Blnd.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The wooden katana isnt a joke weapon aside from it being used by pretty much only Bushido class students. I think it's called a boken or bokken, I bad at spellin.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Both, and yeah, they can seriously injure someone because you are hitting them with a piece of solid wood with a sharpened edge. The "harmless" version is the bamboo shinai, which is used precisely because a bokken can and will put someone in the hospital.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I remember stories of getting smacked by a shinai, that poo poo hurt.
This game is pretty much up my alley, I love Dragon's Dogma too and it really reminds me of it.
minus the pig/friend/everything not nailed down tossing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dreadwroth posted:

The wooden katana isnt a joke weapon aside from it being used by pretty much only Bushido class students. I think it's called a boken or bokken, I bad at spellin.

I'm aware bokken are pretty good bludgeoning instruments, I meant more in the context of the game where it's noticeably weaker than other katanas.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I'm slowly catching up on the newer episodes and wow, that kappa in the silver mines clowned on you SO hard.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Aumanor posted:

I'm slowly catching up on the newer episodes and wow, that kappa in the silver mines clowned on you SO hard.

My butthole will never be the same again. :smith:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ew scaly turtle finger all up in there.
Sorry I wasn't trying to imply anything, I get that its silly to have a student's training sword in a game with demons and poo poo.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So have you tested out that Living Weapon finishing attack? I'm curious how it works.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Aumanor posted:

So have you tested out that Living Weapon finishing attack? I'm curious how it works.

I have not. I've been intended to but I never remember when I actually use my Living Weapon. :shobon:

I'm sure I'll show it off when I get to making the informative LP.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Someone wake me up when the informative run starts yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember in the Last Chance I had a hard time knowing really for sure when I was able to use my Living Weapon, because several times while I was fighting the boss of the demo I would find my icon was glowing but pressing the button combo did nothing. I honestly would probably prefer having a dedicated Living Weapon button like there is a dedicated Devil Trigger button in Devil May Cry.

• Locked thread