Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

scuttlebutt is she wanted him out of florida because he has issues with gang activity. She eventually did come back and was crying, said something to him and they hugged.

I guess that's understandable but A) those problems tend to follow you anywhere if you aren't ready to change your life (see Hernandez, Aaron) and B) that isn't the time or the place to make a scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

I guess that's understandable but A) those problems tend to follow you anywhere if you aren't ready to change your life (see Hernandez, Aaron) and B) that isn't the time or the place to make a scene.

Seems pretty easy to judge the situation from your office watching it online or whatever, you're right, gently caress her she's an awful person.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Seems pretty easy to judge the situation from your office watching it online or whatever, you're right, gently caress her she's an awful person.

:allears:

She's certainly entitled to her opinion, but its kind of a dick move to make a scene during one of your kid's biggest and proudest moments.

Then again, I had a mother who was prone to making huge ridiculous scenes, so maybe I'm a bit more sensitive to how lovely it feels.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The UF class is pretty good but we whiffed on a couple of guys who were considered heavy Florida leans and it has some fans disappointed.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Oh and they're comparing our class to UGA which is just lol at the moment.

I don't think UF fans realize this is our new normal until one of these coaches has some success on a more national scale.

Or at least fields an offense in the top 100 in the country lol

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

:allears:

She's certainly entitled to her opinion, but its kind of a dick move to make a scene during one of your kid's biggest and proudest moments.

Then again, I had a mother who was prone to making huge ridiculous scenes, so maybe I'm a bit more sensitive to how lovely it feels.

Do you not get that she's worried about the kid staying/getting wrapped up in gang stuff and wind up dead? This isn't a 'she really likes orange/crimson and is kind of afraid of alligators so she caused a scene'. She's literally worried about the well-being of her son. For all you know he told her he was going to UT/Bama and him choosing UF shocked her, which seems pretty likely given the situation.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

Oh and they're comparing our class to UGA which is just lol at the moment.

I don't think UF fans realize this is our new normal until one of these coaches has some success on a more national scale.

Or at least fields an offense in the top 100 in the country lol

That's dumb. UGA's class is better on paper than UF's 2006 class with Tebow/Harvin/Hernandez/Pounceys.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Do you not get that she's worried about the kid staying/getting wrapped up in gang stuff and wind up dead? This isn't a 'she really likes orange/crimson and is kind of afraid of alligators so she caused a scene'. She's literally worried about the well-being of her son. For all you know he told her he was going to UT/Bama and him choosing UF shocked her, which seems pretty likely given the situation.

Tuscaloosa is closer to Escambia than Gainesville is.

I get the argument you're making, and it's valid to be worried. Showing your rear end during one of your kid's biggest moments is really poor form.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 7, 2018

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Joey Freshwater posted:

How the hell do you get there from:

quote:

I guess that's understandable

I'm quite pleased with this Florida class. If, God forbid, Mullen can't run an offense at Florida with these guys and we enter a second decade of poo poo-tier offense then I'll probably just tune out for a few years.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Malik Langham is a Gator!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think UF will be fine even if they don't have a million 5 star players signing. Mullen seems to do well with less, and if he can start showing some improvement from the Mac era, he'll get those bigger name guys.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Ehud posted:

Malik Langham is a Gator!

:toot: The rich get richer.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Vols snag 4-star JUCO DE Emmitt Gooden

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think UF will be fine even if they don't have a million 5 star players signing. Mullen seems to do well with less, and if he can start showing some improvement from the Mac era, he'll get those bigger name guys.

It's also a transition class. Practically any transition class is going to be below the usual standard of the school. It's just part of the cost of a coaching change. A lot of these top recruits have been building relationships with coaches for years. Even the most home-run coaching hire is going to have a hell of a time establishing that level of trust and confidence in a couple of months. Even moreso now with a lot of recruits getting locked down on the early signing day, at which point new coaches have been there for a few weeks at most and likely don't even have all their assistants in place.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

That's dumb. UGA's class is better on paper than UF's 2006 class with Tebow/Harvin/Hernandez/Pounceys.

I can't get over '10 Florida being #1. (It made total sense at the time, mind. Urban was still perceived to be rolling.) That class was 1-3 in the WLOCP, lost to Georgia Southern, and played exactly one good month of football (October 2012) in four seasons. Y'all should fire Muschamp again somehow.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

I can't get over '10 Florida being #1. That class was 1-3 in the WLOCP, lost to Georgia Southern, and played exactly one good month of football (October 2012) in four seasons. Y'all should fire Muschamp again somehow.

Lots of busts.

Chiefly, Ronald Powell.

:negative:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Wow it’s like keeping lovely Ole butch far past the expiration date made for a lovely signing day

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

Wow it’s like keeping lovely Ole butch far past the expiration date made for a lovely signing day

I think it's less keeping Butch and more the clusterfuck with Currie that did it.

I've said it before that a lot of these kids wouldn't have even been looking our way if it weren't for Pruitt and you also have to realize that the majority of them only made one visit to knoxville with maybe an in home with a coach vs other programs where they got several visits of each.

Friday will be two months since Pruitt was hired. I think we can all step back from the ledge and just take this class for was it is, a huge improvement over where we were when he got here. Yeah we missed on some guys we would have liked to get but realistically they were long shots (see above).

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 7, 2018

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

D.N. Nation posted:

I can't get over '10 Florida being #1. (It made total sense at the time, mind. Urban was still perceived to be rolling.) That class was 1-3 in the WLOCP, lost to Georgia Southern, and played exactly one good month of football (October 2012) in four seasons. Y'all should fire Muschamp again somehow.

Earlier today I was looking back to see the last time only two SEC teams finished in the top-10 of recruiting rankings (2005, btw), and was reminded of that class. Somehow only Shariff Floyd and Trey Burton developed into good players. The only reason it wasn't the biggest overall class bust was because 2006 USC will never be outdone in that regard. That class was No. 1 by a country mile and really, really sucked in actual college football. Although, in general, the class of 2010 was pretty mediocre as a whole in terms of how they all developed. Of the top-5 classes that year, I'd argue that only Kenny Stills (Oklahoma) and C.J. Mosley (Alabama) really developed into good players at the college and NFL levels. I don't count Cam Newton that year because he was a RS-Jr when he signed.

Aside from that, here's my thoughts on NSD18...

- With only two teams from the SEC finishing in the top-10 for the first time in 13 years, we might finally really start seeing a shift in power begin. Maybe? Probably not but I wouldn't be too upset about it.

- Unless Ed Orgeron is truly some sort of bayou football savant at evaluating talent (he's not), him and his chief of staff Ponamsky are going to have one hell of a time explaining this class away to the Tiger faithful. A few decent prospects in there, but not enough secondary depth and no QB for a team with only a "blue chip" QB from last class who couldn't push Danny Etling for playing time? No bueno.

- Oklahoma only finished No. 9, but they secured a lot of guys I know can play and know how to win. That could be a really great class if they develop like I think they can.

- Alabama went all-in on rush-ends and DBs and I couldn't be happier with how it all turned out. The only real shock was that they didn't offer/take a QB this year for the first time in maybe a decade. But with Tua and Hurts and Mac Jones, they'll be totally fine through the next cycle. Next year, however, I wager they'll load up on OL, and there will be plenty of them.

- Miami's class also may not have any future household names in it, but they're going to have all the depth they were missing in 2017, for sure.

- Georgia also had the most absurd haul of 'stars' in rankings history, but from what I hear from the coaches who have been passing through, it sounds like they've really upset the apple cart. Lots of other coaching staffs more upset than usual with their tactics (still trying to learn what in the hell they were doing to piss everyone off so bad). But it was also an absolute perfect storm this year. The most loaded the state has been in years while most of their chief rivals were rebuilding, so they were going to have an amazing class no matter what.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/Flyguy2stackz/status/961303024600862723

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I still can't believe A&M is signing a guy named Charlie strong

Sometimes I really do think all of existence is rendered through a comedy option

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

D.N. Nation posted:

That class had 3 first round picks, and at least 7 other guys who saw meaningful playtime in the league, 2 of whom were playing for the Eagles last Sunday. Florida had issues during that stretch, but lack of overall talent wasn't one of them.

2005 is still the best Florida class and probably the greatest of the modern recruiting era.

Big Piece O Shit fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 8, 2018

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

TheGreyGhost posted:

4* LB/DE Javontae Jean-Baptiste to Ohio State.

Lol, this class is preposterous. Whiff on Parsons and Oweh, end up with Smith, Friday, Jean-Baptiste and a development guy regardless. Whiff on a bunch of tackles and sign the #1 guy at the last second.

Parsons is good, and you lost him due to a self-own.

Oweh and Jean-Bapiste are overrated. Oweh is a raw athlete who's done nothing, Jean-Baptiste is just a generic *** being overrated because you can't flip December signees.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Kim Jong Il posted:

Oweh and Jean-Bapiste are overrated. Oweh is a raw athlete who's done nothing, Jean-Baptiste is just a generic *** being overrated because you can't flip December signees.

Jean-Baptiste has really good film, and was only lightly recruited because he was thought to be a non-q. He'll need time to put weight on, but have seen evals from former VT players just absolutely glowing about his potential. He's not can't-miss, but he's got the chance to be really good, and I wish he were at VT.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
So did Barry Odom completely whiff on Missouri's best high school class ever? I think he maybe grabbed the #9 or 10 guy and that's it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

Just amazing what Pruitt managed to do.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Joey Freshwater posted:

scuttlebutt is she wanted him out of florida because he has issues with gang activity. She eventually did come back and was crying, said something to him and they hugged.

Oh, whenever I see parents mad I assume that the other schools boosters promised better high paying secretary jobs for them or w/e.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Doronin posted:

- Oklahoma only finished No. 9, but they secured a lot of guys I know can play and know how to win. That could be a really great class if they develop like I think they can.

I’m extremely excited for this class. Last year we had a great class, but it was largely built with offensive guys. But this class is the best defensive class I can ever remember us signing. Our DL class in particular is up there with any other team. Perkins, Tatum, Thompson, and Redmond are all real legit blue chip guys. And I think Bookie will make a huge impact. We haven’t had a true shutdown corner prospect like that in a long time. Also pretty excited about TJ Pledger. RB is stacked for a long time. And then Brey Walker is just a monster on the OL.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Oh, whenever I see parents mad I assume that the other schools boosters promised better high paying secretary jobs for them or w/e.

Judging by Tennessee’s losses today I doubt it’s that

Also no one that was there for the announcement was wearing Florida stuff. It was all UT/Bama and when he picked Florida both his mom and aunt seemed shocked.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I’m extremely excited for this class. Last year we had a great class, but it was largely built with offensive guys. But this class is the best defensive class I can ever remember us signing. Our DL class in particular is up there with any other team. Perkins, Tatum, Thompson, and Redmond are all real legit blue chip guys. And I think Bookie will make a huge impact. We haven’t had a true shutdown corner prospect like that in a long time. Also pretty excited about TJ Pledger. RB is stacked for a long time. And then Brey Walker is just a monster on the OL.

I'm really excited about this dline class. The last time I can remember having this good of a class is with Gerald McCoy. I just hope mike doesn't ruin them.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Kim Jong Il posted:

My dude, did I say anything about Parsons not being good? We lost him because someone thought that Kirk should ever be used to recruit anything for any reason ever. Also, Franklin seems to think he's an MLB?

Oweh could be a nightmare in the right hands (which Larry Johnson absolutely would have been, and Penn State's new guy currently might be).

Jean-Baptiste's film looks basically like a high-potential, raw edge guy who needs to put on weight where he takes good angles and moves well but has like 2 moves and no heft. Whether that's a 3* or 4* is semantics, but the dude did ball out on his tape and looked pretty impressive in the all-star circuit this year too, so the idea that he's a commodity because of the early signing day isn't exactly warranted. Also, guy's in NJ, cold-weather state where spring ball isn't a thing and means development can take a bit longer. See them all the time in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, NY, etc.

Mike_V posted:

So did Barry Odom completely whiff on Missouri's best high school class ever? I think he maybe grabbed the #9 or 10 guy and that's it.

Yeah, the fact that OSU pulled both Babb and Brown with an air-raid team in state is amazing. That dude is canned in like 6 months at this rate.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

We were all so young.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Bookie is single-handedly the reason I'm going to watch more OU games. He's that good. His sole potential weakness might be his height, but that didn't stop guys like Vernon Hargreaves (UF, now Tampa Bay) from being an impact player. Plus he's an outstanding return man.

You're going to love him. He's also the most eloquent high school player I've ever been around, so odds are the SIDs at OU will make him one of the faces of the program for the next three years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
New thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848672

• Locked thread