Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
I'd pay to watch that. Meanwhile I'm secretly hoping Loel gets his comedy option again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Remember when back during Grey's LP the Entente thread started figuring out what the Germans were getting up to by checking the reply counter of their thread? That was fun times.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
That's.. not a bad idea, actually.

until you have someone start spamming the thread purposefully to throw the enemy team off.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Tevery Best posted:

Remember when back during Grey's LP the Entente thread started figuring out what the Germans were getting up to by checking the reply counter of their thread? That was fun times.

More like "using this as a convenient excuse for really accurate 'guesses'".

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I don't get how you could divine the enemy's movements out of increased thread activity, how would that even work?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Eh, I don't recall anyone actually getting anything accurate out of it. It was mostly "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo THEY ARE POSTING SO MUCH GUYS they must be playing seven-dimensional Jumanji on their end with their eight army corps!"

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

System Metternich posted:

I don't get how you could divine the enemy's movements out of increased thread activity, how would that even work?

You read posting counts of the enemy thread, then you read the enemy thread, then you claim to understand what people are planning based on your posting count analysis.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

TildeATH posted:

You read posting counts of the enemy thread, then you read the enemy thread, then you claim to understand what people are planning based on your posting count analysis.

That's rude and a completely baseless accusation that casts aspersion upon the honour of my former teammates :colbert:

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

My recollection is that somebody saw a low post count and inferred low thread morale from it. I don't recall it being suspicious at the time.

FourCartridge
Apr 30, 2015
Oh, this is back. Brings memories of my command getting gassed by my own side's artillery fire.

Could I have a spot in Team Germany again? If not I'm content to just watch the senseless slaughter from the sidelines.

Mooddr
Mar 5, 2017

FourCartridge posted:

Oh, this is back. Brings memories of my command getting gassed by my own side's artillery fire.

Could I have a spot in Team Germany again? If not I'm content to just watch the senseless slaughter from the sidelines.

Not until the current Battle ends, since you have read the Observer Thread, in which neither Germans nor Frenchies are allowed.

French Thread is here, German one here.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Entente pondering an experiment with a rolling barrage. :getin:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The battle will be won by the side which has lost the fewest players to hiatus fatigue.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

I wonder at what point the concept of "reserves" will occur to either side? That and communication trenches - although those would be more relevant for future battles.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The problem with both of these concepts right now is that neither side has enough troops to really man the front line. If you create communication trenches to your back lines, but have nothing in your back lines, then all you've done was give the enemy a free trench when they attack. If you create reserves, but leave gaps in your line or render it too spread out to hold off an attack, then all you've done was help the enemy defeat you in detail.

EDIT: also this game does not simulate different kinds of trenches or the fact that a trench is designed to be a lot more protective from the front than from the back, meaning that counter-attacking a lost trench is going to be nearly as deadly as attacking the enemy line in the first place, while creating a communication trench lets the enemy approach you at leisure if they so desire.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, I'm putting my part in this to rest, feel free to grill me about my trench raid suicide mission or anything else.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It's a shame this died out. Trin, you ever going to get back to this, or is the game effectively dead?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Alright, I'm spoiling myself and coming out of the Entente thread. How was this game going?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As an independent observer I dare say the Germans were on the cusp of dominating the game.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Here's a PM I sent to Loel as I relinquished command to him (and for the sake of transparency, I also sent a copy to Trin), I figure it might help clarify a part of how and why things happened the way they did:

quote:

Congats on winning the vote!

OK, part 2 of my advice posts, here's a list of things I need you to be aware of:

I probably don't need to tell you this, what with you having been in an actual army an all (unlike me :v:), but by taking the position, you've given up on the right to be pessimistic. No matter what happens, you need to present an image of the situation that keeps everyone's morale up. You'll need to enforce your will on the thread sometimes, but try to keep this to a minimum. Make goons want to follow your orders rather than feel forced to do it.

Be aware that sometimes a couple of people on roll20 will come up with wild-rear end plans out of nowhere and act like everyone in the thread is both aware of the plan and agreeing with it. You'll need to find a way to deal with this. You can't be on roll20 all the time, so keep an eye on the thread instead, and inquire if someting weird is being posted.

As for goons who had higher command or were candidates for it...

Bacarruda is a competent dude, but he'll be a huge pain in the rear end to deal with sometimes, and will make a point of going against you wherever he can if he disagrees with you. Either place him in a situation where he can be as autonomous as possible without endangering the whole corps if he does something you don't expect, or find a way to keep him in line. Mind you, he's not an rear end in a top hat, quite the contrary, just bloody stubborn and a bit passive-aggressive.

Slim is clever, but tunnel visioned sometimes, and can become a problem if morale drops and he enters DOOOOOOM! mode. His advice will help you immensely, but you need to be able to draw the line, and know when to tell him to shut it.

TBK is reliable, generally stays in good spirits, and is somewhat defensively minded. He's a good choice for an entrenched infantry division commander. He's from Australia, so keep that in mind regarding time zones. ARF and Tehan are Aussies too, and are both competent brigadiers who'd work well with him, though Tehan is apparently having internet problems right now.

I'm stubborn, but I'll follow any orders given to me, although I can't promise not complaining about it. :v: If given a chance to plan, I tend to either stick to really conservative plans, or go all in. I can be somewhat abrasive when I think someone is being an idiot, and my ability to estimate if someone is being an idiot isn't perfect.

Professor Curly... I don't know much about him, but apparently he's been the leader in a number of goon games, and some people like him a lot. Might be a good choice for a "new" senior commander.

In addition, regarding one specific goon:

I hate having to say this, but Vincent Van Goatse is a threat to the entire Corps. He will spam the chat with random poo poo to the point of unreadability, he will get petty if you call him out, and he will make ridiculously overcomplicated plans that make Trin want to murder everyone involved, and he won't pick up on normal social cues to knock it off. In short, he's going to be our SANDMAN. Find him a quiet, out of the way position that gives you more than one way to interrupt him if he's fully activated. I'm sure he can be a great guy in other situations, but here, he's likely to be downright toxic.

If you want, feel free to post this PM at some point. I hate going behind people's backs, but right now it's preferable to disrupting the people I mentioned by posting it in the thread during the planning phase. I'll stand by my opinions if they're made public.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
You know, I do not recall ever reading anyone telling me what they think of my command style.

Maybe it's for the better.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
From what I've read in this thread, I have to agree with Splode's criticism, I was stepping on Loel's toes a bit too much.
That having been said, I do believe my general approach on the subject of "FOR gently caress'S SAKE, STOP HALF-ASSING THINGS" was a good one. :v:

I'd love if Loel and his counterpart(s) on the other side could talk about their reasoning and actions a bit.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Hi everyone, I'm here now as well.

I like Loel but it was frustrating sometimes since there almost never seemed to be any definite decision making happening at the top in time. I wanted to grab him by the shoulders and shake him until orders came out. I don't know how much of that was me just panicking in general though at all times.

I really wished the Germans found Baccaruda's fake map even though it's relevance dropped considerably fast. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

my dad posted:

but by taking the position, you've given up on the right to be pessimistic. No matter what happens, you need to present an image of the situation that keeps everyone's morale up.

Very very true! I'm not afraid of tactics and maps, but I think this will always be the hardest part for me. Tatankatonk only ran things for two turns before I replaced him, but what he did was really important both in terms of reassuring the rest of us and setting up the terms that we were to think in (Concentrate on the furtherest advance and give useless ground in the south) for the rest of the time.

[e]:really good post from when he first took over and everyone was panicking.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 23, 2017

• Locked thread