Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its incredibly shameless lol. I hope they get their money

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/08/spinal-tap-lawsuit-harry-shearer-rob-reiner-vivendi

quote:

The band members from cult rock mockumentary This Is Spinal Tap have agreed to reunite in a bid they claim will ensure a $400m (£321m) lawsuit against media firm Vivendi “goes to 11”.

They claim Vivendi manipulated accounting data, while ignoring contractually obligated accounting and reporting processes, to deny them their rightful stake in the film’s profits.

The complaint alleges that between 1989 and 2006, Vivendi reported that the total income from soundtrack music sales was just $98.

It also claims that Vivendi reported that the four creators’ share of total worldwide merchandising income between 1984 and 2006 was $81, despite music and merchandise linked to the film racking up “tens of millions of dollars” in revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

poor harry shearer

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i know hollywood accounting is the most bizarre exercise ever, but how does that result in movies that are all-time box office high earners from not making a profit? and what's the point of dong that anyway?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

get that OUT of my face posted:

i know hollywood accounting is the most bizarre exercise ever, but how does that result in movies that are all-time box office high earners from not making a profit? and what's the point of dong that anyway?

Some people are still paid in net profits rather than gross.

http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0912/actors-who-got-a-share-of-film-profits.aspx

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

get that OUT of my face posted:

absolutely everything the studio does gets linked into potential profits if someone has a net % clause in their contract

the hangover ended up getting made when the director and stars all agreed a % of gross profit on all films instead of money up front and as a result got something insane like 40% of its gross profits lol

check out some of these examples

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

quote:

According to Lucasfilm, Return of the Jedi, despite having earned $475 million at the box office against a budget of $32.5 million, "has never gone into profit".[7]

• Locked thread