Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Axelgear posted:

As a dash of hope, phage therapy is looking promising alternative for antibiotics. Antibiotics are hard to develop for reasons already stated, but we already have other tools to kill bacteria with: Viruses. Bacterial viruses are relatively safe for us to use (because they can't really jump from bacteria to us; the transcriptional/translational machinery are too different) and tend to be highly specific in their targeting. They also reproduce themselves, so dosing is pretty much only whatever threshold is necessary to set a minimum population of virus in the target region.

Phage therapy was the way the world was going until Fleming discovered his silver bullet, and then it ended up isolated to the Eastern bloc, right up until Stalin decided that this whole "genetics" thing sounded a bit too Hitler-y. Now, the only place that's been using it with any level of regularity has been the Republic of Georgia.

We're already seeing a return in the food industry; it's pretty much guaranteed any goons in North America have eaten virus-laced foods for years now without knowing it. It's also seeing a start of a return to the medical world, a summary of which can be found here. There's even evidence phages might be able to infiltrate biofilms, something antibiotics persistently struggle with.

(I tried to link publicly available docs where possible.)

None of this is to downplay the seriousness of antibiotic resistance, incidentally; just to offer the idea that there is hope in a world where we have basically pissed away our silver bullet. Also, hey, if it gets more people interested in viruses, that just makes my day.

e: Well, gently caress me, beaten again.

2e:

China's also where we get all our super-deadly influenza strains from lately, because they keep pigs and chickens together. Pigs are basically giant mixing vessels for influenza viruses because their respiratory tracts contain the same sugar moieties found in the respiratory tracts of humans and the GI tracts of birds.

Honestly, a lot of this can just be summed up as "China's agricultural system hosed it."

This is cool and all, just wanted to point out how badass it is that we're filling ourselves with symbiotic viruses, like sci fi supergenius race stuff

we are all Venom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is there any evidence this happens with IV antibiotics basically ever? Especially commonly enough to cause antibiotic resistance.

MIC creep with vancomycin isn't caused by giving colistin to pigs, so yes I believe it has.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

reagan posted:

MIC creep with vancomycin isn't caused by giving colistin to pigs, so yes I believe it has.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3426332/

The glycopeptide avoparcin was first introduced for growth promotion in 1975 (37). At that time it was used extensively in most parts of Europe and the rest of the world with the notable exception of Canada and USA where avoparcin never has been approved for animals (38). Avoparcin was mainly used for broilers and pigs but to some extent also for turkeys, veal calves and other animals (37, 39, 40). The extent of avoparcin use is demonstrated by data from Denmark where 24 kg of vancomycin was used in human medicine in 1994, and in the same year more than 24,000 kg of avoparcin was used for growth promotion (39). A similar example is Australia, where from 1992 to 1996 less than 600 kg of vancomycin but over 62,000 kg of avoparcin was imported (41).

As avoparcin confers cross-resistance to vancomycin the (mis)use of avoparcin selected for VRE (42). Hence, VRE, i.e. E. faecium carrying the vanA genotype was common in the intestinal flora of farm animals in Europe during the 1990s (43, 44). By contrast, since avoparcin has never been approved in Canada and USA, VRE had until 2008 never been isolated from farm animals in USA (45).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I mean I've got an anecdote about use of IV antibiotics inappropriately but I don't know about studies.

Doc told me it was a super low chance I had something that would be antibiotic responsive and said he'd get me ciprofloxacin IV, I replied that if it was super low I'd rather take the chance and not contribute to antibiotic resistance. He shrugged and gave the order to the nurse who proceeded to hook it up and get the pump going then not connect it to my IV line. I pointed it out and they gave me the remainder half that was still in the bag. That was an interesting night.

The whole bit about the role of antibiotic use in animals is interesting, and hopefully the new feed directives starting this year that outlaw use of antibiotics as growth promoters and requirement of a prescription for any antibiotic use in livestock will not only make people think twice, but also start generating data on usage. One of the main antibiotics used in Ag is monensin which has no related drug used in human med and apparently doesn't confer cross-protection. Interestingly enough, there's been some data to show some organic farms with more resistant organisms since organic farms are allowed one antibiotic administration (so theory is that instead of using lower tier antibiotics they're just reaching for higher tier off the bat).

Heck there's even evidence that feeding pigs zinc as an antimicrobial agent leads to some vancomycin resistant strains.

There's a lot of weird things in animal med. There needs to be more funding and more research in this.

That being said, its highly likely the issue isn't the use of antibiotics itself, but rather the cramped and terrible conditions livestock live in on factory farms leading to the need of antimicrobials, but that's a whole other discussion.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Here's an interesting thing: Scientists recreated an ancient remedy, tested it on MRSA and it loving worked:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-32117815

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

HelloSailorSign posted:

I mean I've got an anecdote about use of IV antibiotics inappropriately but I don't know about studies.

Doc told me it was a super low chance I had something that would be antibiotic responsive and said he'd get me ciprofloxacin IV, I replied that if it was super low I'd rather take the chance and not contribute to antibiotic resistance. He shrugged and gave the order to the nurse who proceeded to hook it up and get the pump going then not connect it to my IV line. I pointed it out and they gave me the remainder half that was still in the bag. That was an interesting night.

Why is that a story about inappropriate use? You denied a doctor recommended treatment then you accepted it when it was physically nearer to you.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Because it was the doc's plan to use it while it wasn't actually indicated. I wasn't exactly in a good state to sit there arguing about it either and felt that I should point out the fact that they didn't connect up the thing that was running (that they were charging me for).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

HelloSailorSign posted:

Because it was the doc's plan to use it while it wasn't actually indicated. I wasn't exactly in a good state to sit there arguing about it either and felt that I should point out the fact that they didn't connect up the thing that was running (that they were charging me for).

What are you basing any of this on?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Here's an interesting thing: Scientists recreated an ancient remedy, tested it on MRSA and it loving worked:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-32117815

I don't want cow bile in my eye though

I know that some plant recipes are very effective against certain bacteria, there's a similar thing happening with horseradish and UTIs. I always wonder whether bacteria aren't just going to become resistant to those things as well, I don't imagine the underlying mechanism is fundamentally different from modern antibiotics

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

pidan posted:

I don't want cow bile in my eye though

I know that some plant recipes are very effective against certain bacteria, there's a similar thing happening with horseradish and UTIs. I always wonder whether bacteria aren't just going to become resistant to those things as well, I don't imagine the underlying mechanism is fundamentally different from modern antibiotics

As was mentioned before, these antibiotic resistances consume organism resources that make the bacteria less competitive against those not resistant against the bacteria (in the absence of the antibiotic, obviously). My guess is that it could be a plan to make a pattern of propagating antibiotics, phage treatments, and other effective cures in periods so that, as they become resistant to one solution, a new solution is implemented + the old solution halted and the prior organisms are beaten by the originals and the new bact resistant to the newer solution

I'm not a scientist so for all I know I just said a bunch of gibberish, so vOv

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What are you basing any of this on?

His own admission of low likelihood and having an understanding of medicine.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Neurolimal posted:

As was mentioned before, these antibiotic resistances consume organism resources that make the bacteria less competitive against those not resistant against the bacteria (in the absence of the antibiotic, obviously). My guess is that it could be a plan to make a pattern of propagating antibiotics, phage treatments, and other effective cures in periods so that, as they become resistant to one solution, a new solution is implemented + the old solution halted and the prior organisms are beaten by the originals and the new bact resistant to the newer solution

I'm not a scientist so for all I know I just said a bunch of gibberish, so vOv

No in principle this is a useful strategy but in reality it's really hard to implement because given the wide variety of resistances you'll
1) have to do it strictly so eventually you're going to run into cases where you have to tell some patient "yeah we could save you but welp gotta manage some resistances so thank you for your sacrifice for future generations" or
2) have an unregulatable mess where you have to trust that antibiotics declared to be last resort will actually only be used as last resort until they get rotated back into regular use (lol no we already can't manage that even for one or two poo poo rear end old antibiotics)

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
Hey, so, sorry for resurrecting this thread, but this seemed like something people might enjoy.

It's only ("only") a mouse model, but it shows promise, and that these techniques/therapies are in development.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Antibiotic overprescription is a minor cause compared to agriculture. The amount of antibiotic from farm run-offs entering the environment is astronomical. The way to evolve resistance is chronic low level exposure and that is basically what farms do in huge radii around their point locations.

There are also two parts: initial evolution of resistance (point mutations, gene loss, expression changes, etc..) and resistance gene transfer. The latter is a more concerning problem because many environmental soil bacteria are resistant to a lot of antibiotics naturally but they aren't pathogens. In humans those bugs aren't present, but on farms you mix those antibiotic resistance source bacteria with opportunistic and pathogenic bacteria in animals and their poo poo and then mix in farmers. All the components are there, which is why most people that are patient 0 for these terrible bacteria are farmers. Some soil bacterium develops resistance, its DNA gets transferred in to another bacterium through a number pf mechanisms and then that second bacterium starts an opportunistic infection by chance in a farmer through a scrape or whatever and then if we're all very unlucky that bug then gives its DNA to a human pathogen that was also in the farmer at the time and now we have a crisis.

Also phage therapy is cool because when you need have anew resistant bacterium you just go down to the ocean and scoop up another trillion phage in a couple mL of water to use for plaque forming assays.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 14, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

cowofwar posted:

Antibiotic overprescription is a minor cause compared to agriculture. The amount of antibiotic from farm run-offs entering the environment is astronomical. The way to evolve resistance is chronic low level exposure and that is basically what farms do in huge radii around their point locations.

The antibiotic overprescription boogieman seems like such a transparent plot to shift the blame to individuals and low level family doctors. And it sucks, because it's building up this narrative of "trust doctors about viruses and vaccines but also they all are trying to POISON OUR COMMUNITY with HARMFUL ANTIBIOTICS that you don't even need and will KILL YOUR CHILDREN so just say no to their murder shots! They just lie to you about you needing them anyway".

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

reagan posted:

Agriculture is problem #1, but drat if you don't think bad physicians contribute to the problem. The amount of idiot doctors throwing heavy hitters at minor infections, or heaven forbid viral infections, is astounding. Some hospitals are better than others, though, so I know mine is particularly bad.

Vancomycin is a big one for us. It probably should not be considered a broad spectrum antibiotic but many doctors treat it as such, especially considering how dangerous it can be to skin tissue and kidneys

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Plenty of countries without well developed health care systems or standards let people obtain and use a lot of antibiotics however they want. Feel sick? Here's some IM penicillin, have fun! Dosing and use are completely up to regular people, so, while they will take them for appropriate poo poo like strep throat, they will also do things like stop short of a full course, take them for influenza or a rhinovirus, or use them prophylactically for all sorts of medically unsound reasons.

I agree agricultural misuse is the worst culprit of all, and that we should do better in the US, Europe, etc. but the above poo poo also needs to stop.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Plenty of countries without well developed health care systems or standards let people obtain and use a lot of antibiotics however they want. Feel sick? Here's some IM penicillin, have fun! Dosing and use are completely up to regular people, so, while they will take them for appropriate poo poo like strep throat, they will also do things like stop short of a full course, take them for influenza or a rhinovirus, or use them prophylactically for all sorts of medically unsound reasons.

That really does sound like "turn off the water while you brush your teeth" sort of advice. Like it's technically true, but personal abuse is just such a tiny tiny factor.

Like there is no realistic amount of antibiotics a person is going to casually take for colds or something that comes anywhere close to the damage they do eating a single bacon burger for lunch or something. Like don't be an rear end and abuse antibiotics also, but it's a really tiny amount of the problem.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
To be fair our treated sewage effluent is jam packed with antibiotics (and other pharmaceuticals). You can imagine the problem in other countries where antibiotics are unregulated and sewage isn't treated. Just massive dumping of sub MIC levels of antibiotics in to the environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

blackguy32 posted:

Vancomycin is a big one for us. It probably should not be considered a broad spectrum antibiotic but many doctors treat it as such, especially considering how dangerous it can be to skin tissue and kidneys
"Broad spectrum" doesn't mean "harmless" or even "suitable for use as a first-line treatment", it means "indiscriminately kills a poo poo-ton of different types of bacteria". Vancomycin murders the poo poo out of almost every known Gram-positive bacterial species, so it's a broad spectrum compound by definition.

• Locked thread