Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Problem description: My monitor does this:
http://sendvid.com/kdw9eji5

It's not random and my display driver crashes pretty frequently.

Attempted fixes: Changed out graphics card, tried onboard and another standalone. Tried updating every driver from graphics to chipset. Flashed BIOS with latest update. Monitored CPU/GPU temps.

Recent changes: No

--

Operating system: W7 Ultimate x64

System specs: i7 4790k (stock speeds), gtx 660, Samsung 840 SSD, SeaSonic M12II 620W, Samsung 8GB RAM, asrock z97 fatal1ty

Monitor is an old Dell

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

It's the monitor. A cable inside that passes display information seems to be failing. Digital artifacting rarely looks like that. Google around for your model, maybe somebody has a repair guide.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

DOOMocrat posted:

It's the monitor. A cable inside that passes display information seems to be failing. Digital artifacting rarely looks like that. Google around for your model, maybe somebody has a repair guide.
Thanks. I'll just replace it.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

It might be worth trying a new cable, just in case. Is it hooked up over VGA, DVI, DisplayPort or HDMI?

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

DOOMocrat posted:

It might be worth trying a new cable, just in case. Is it hooked up over VGA, DVI, DisplayPort or HDMI?
Usually DVI but I tried an HDMI cable and had the same issues.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah. My guess is something's electrically wrong with the monitor either with a display cable or a capacitor and it falling out of sync is crashing your graphics driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Can you get more video of the display malfunctioning? For research purposes. :munch:

• Locked thread