Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Ever wish someone took Diablo 3 and put it in a sandbox? Me neither but here it is.
We’ve got promises and trailers what more do we need?

We don’t know a lot yet but here it is, and if you know more I’ll throw it into the OP.

Inquisitor – Martyr is an open-world sandbox Action-RPG set in the Caligari Sector, a secluded region of the Imperium with hundreds of star systems, thousands of planets, which offers a huge variety of mission types on randomly generated maps: a persistent universe with special mini-campaigns and a storyline influenced by the community. 4 player cooperative play.

True to the spirit of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, the gameplay incorporates tactical elements like the cover-based combat, a brand new AI and controllable vehicles, not to mention the spectacular display of destruction where attacks noticeably affect the environment.

Aimed attacks at giant foes can destroy body parts, getting rid of the special abilities, not to mention the rewarding and special execution moves to finish off the bosses.

Build and develop your own inquisitorial fortress. Defend it through indirect pvp.
:captainpop:

https://www.neocoregames.com/en/games/warhammer-40k-inquisitor-martyr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaFnYTxOTuQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUBPRJLXSAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwNjuXG_DKo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Public Alpha dropped today, you can buy your way in if you want.

https://www.neocoregames.com/en/store/warhammer-40k-inquisitor-martyr-editions

The packages range from reasonable to :psyduck:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Taylor Swift posted:

Lol, it's kickstarter tiers for a fully funded game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Taylor Swift posted:

this is some insane bullshit

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mordja posted:

Lol, it's kickstarter tiers for a fully funded game.

Davincie posted:

this is some insane bullshit

Because it worked for GW! :v:

(no it didn't)

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Inquisitor: Martyr

are you the inquisitor or the martyr

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is it good

when does it come out

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yes hello I will be your designated moron today.

They started off strong by releasing the wrong build to Steam for purchasers. It was insanely rough. Will report later about updated build.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

They started off strong by releasing the wrong build to Steam for purchasers. It was insanely rough. Will report later about updated build.

God bless you, dumb goon.

I played through the entire Van Helsing trilogy with my brother and while we had fun, I'd be hard pressed to actually call the games "good" so there's no way I'm buying this at anything close to full price. Neocore definitely falls into the quantity>quality school of game design.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Orv posted:

So this is actually available on Steam?

Orv
May 4, 2011
They're doing the thing where they're running distribution, branches, testing, etc through Steam's infrastructure, but you have to buy it directly from them currently. I'm sure there's some legal or money trick to that whole deal, but it's a pretty standard thing. They give you a Steam key.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my guess is that you cant ask for a refund this way

Orv
May 4, 2011
Devs did it before refunds were a thing as well, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Isn't the point of the Inquisition to, you know, inquire and stuff? I mean, it might well turn out to be a fun action game in its own right, but it seems odd to take the one aspect of 40k that's well-suited to somewhat more subtle/talky approach and make it all about shooting big monsters.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Perestroika posted:

Isn't the point of the Inquisition to, you know, inquire and stuff? I mean, it might well turn out to be a fun action game in its own right, but it seems odd to take the one aspect of 40k that's well-suited to somewhat more subtle/talky approach and make it all about shooting big monsters.

Spotted the Heretic

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Every Warhams I've read so far regarding Inquisition aggregates to this conclusion: Their job is 99 % shooting / stabbing / flamer-ing things for having an extra toe or a lazy eye and maybe % 1 actually investigating things (even then it is highly optional)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mordja posted:

God bless you, dumb goon.

I played through the entire Van Helsing trilogy with my brother and while we had fun, I'd be hard pressed to actually call the games "good" so there's no way I'm buying this at anything close to full price. Neocore definitely falls into the quantity>quality school of game design.

I got the first Van Helsing ARPG and spent a little time with it, but for some reason it just didn't feel quite right. I think there wasn't enough impact; literally, when I hit something or got hit or got a crit, there was no sense of anything actually happening. Game really needs some screen shake and poo poo.

Still I'm a bitch for anything Warhams because it's such a good setting for video games so I'll probably get this at some point unless reviews are real bad. Godspeed, brave Orv :orks:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mister Adequate posted:

I got the first Van Helsing ARPG and spent a little time with it, but for some reason it just didn't feel quite right. I think there wasn't enough impact; literally, when I hit something or got hit or got a crit, there was no sense of anything actually happening. Game really needs some screen shake and poo poo.

Still I'm a bitch for anything Warhams because it's such a good setting for video games so I'll probably get this at some point unless reviews are real bad. Godspeed, brave Orv :orks:

Yeah a randomly generated ARPG sandbox persistent world with an ongoing storyline and DLC and indirect PVP, sounds real promising and not the buzzwords from a dartboard.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mister Adequate posted:

I think there wasn't enough impact; literally, when I hit something or got hit or got a crit, there was no sense of anything actually happening. Game really needs some screen shake and poo poo.

Yup the combat (and loot) kind of sucks in those games. And judging by this stream, that hasn't changed.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So that video is of the old build, which none of the public were supposed to see. The new build, I'm happy to report, is much better; it's more fleshed out in systems (loot, leveling, missions, star map), plays better and runs about the same. This is all relative to the earlier build of course, and the reality is that this game is truly in alpha. Even for an early access project, this is a very early time to let the generally-video-game-development-ignorant public see your game. Probably too early, honestly.

So what's the punchline? At this time I cannot recommend you purchase this in any way. If they manage to get it working properly (and there's no reason they shouldn't, they've made perfectly technically sound games before), it'll be a cool Warhammer Diablo. Right now it's a goddamn mess.

Also requesting a thread title change to Inquisitor Martyr - 99 Problems And A Dreadnought Is Every One. Seriously you fight like five Nurgle Dreadnoughts in every mission right now.

E: On the other hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9c5pKKU1NU

(Still don't buy it.)

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 11, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Orv posted:

So that video is of the old build, which none of the public were supposed to see. The new build, I'm happy to report, is much better; it's more fleshed out in systems (loot, leveling, missions, star map), plays better and runs about the same. This is all relative to the earlier build of course, and the reality is that this game is truly in alpha. Even for an early access project, this is a very early time to let the generally-video-game-development-ignorant public see your game. Probably too early, honestly.

So what's the punchline? At this time I cannot recommend you purchase this in any way. If they manage to get it working properly (and there's no reason they shouldn't, they've made perfectly technically sound games before), it'll be a cool Warhammer Diablo. Right now it's a goddamn mess.

Also requesting a thread title change to Inquisitor Martyr - 99 Problems And A Dreadnought Is Every One. Seriously you fight like five Nurgle Dreadnoughts in every mission right now.

E: On the other hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9c5pKKU1NU

(Still don't buy it.)

The Emperor acknowledges the work you have done in learning of this matter for the Imperium's sake.

Thought for the Day: The traitor's hand lies closer than you think.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man if there's one game that should be in garish loving colors it's 40k. No idea why they went with the everything is colored like lead palette.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

aphid_licker posted:

Man if there's one game that should be in garish loving colors it's 40k. No idea why they went with the everything is colored like lead palette.

Because warhammer is serious business now. Anyone in on the joke no longer wirks for GW.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I was curious if the Warhammer and 40K franchies were getting close to overtaking Dungeons and Dragons for more video game adaptions and it looks like they are over half-way there.

Total # of video games i including expansions:

D&D - 85

Warhammer -18

Warhammer 40K - 34

I thought it would be closer but there was a mountain load of D&D games released between 1988-1994.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
The character and environment models look very good, but the combat animations/effects and gameplay seem fairly slow and not very exciting.

Comparing for instance the missle swarm that fires a few missles that briefly cause a small red glow, versus something like meteor shower in diablo 3, theres a big difference in how satisfying the animations look and to me action rpgs were always about how satisfying it is to blast groups of enemies with cool looking animations over and over.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
At those prices they are clearly huffing something. Don't waste money unless it's on sale and you like burning money.
Or failing that go play kotor or something.
This is another Eternal Crusade.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Vakal posted:

I was curious if the Warhammer and 40K franchies were getting close to overtaking Dungeons and Dragons for more video game adaptions and it looks like they are over half-way there.

D&D - 85

Warhammer -18

Warhammer 40K - 34

I thought it would be closer but there was a mountain load of D&D games released between 1988-1994.

Add int he elder scroll games while you are at it. Might as well add starcraft and warcraft for warhammer since they were originally going to be before blizzard couldn't get the IP rights.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

mcjomar posted:

At those prices they are clearly huffing something. Don't waste money unless it's on sale and you like burning money.

Heh, you say that now, but if you'd had the chance to buy into WoW for a thousand bucks during alpha and got every expansion free with it, you'd be just about ready to break even in just another 14 expansions. Sucker.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

mcjomar posted:

My immediate thought was "I wonder if there's any Hellgate: London lifetime subscription owners looking at this and wincing into a tiny cube of flesh right now?"

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Thought of the day: blessed is the mind too small for doubt

:commissar:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

OniPanda posted:

Thought of the day: blessed is the mind too small for doubt

:commissar:

That's FOR the day you heretic! :commissar:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Vakal posted:

D&D - 85

Warhammer -18

Warhammer 40K - 34

GW only very recently worked out that videogames = money.

(They seem to be immune to the lesson that Too Many Bad Games = No Money due to an entrenched and rabidly loyal fanbase)

Orv
May 4, 2011

mcjomar posted:

Neocore has made functional games, in this genre even, unlike Behaviour whose only games before EC were shovelware licensed games for a decade and a half, that's a poor to hyperbolic comparison. Given that $40 gets you the full game on release and the other tiers are clearly intended for the kind of people who have the disposable income for actual Warhammer minatures, it's hardly some scam.

You still absolutely shouldn't buy into it at this point, mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Isn't the point of the Inquisition to, you know, inquire and stuff?

On paper it is but every branch of the inquisition has its own military arm that's full of psychopaths who are given waaaaay to much freedom to just make up excuses to fly to a random planet and start shooting.

• Locked thread