Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

I was kind of in your situation, but not quite as much (6 feet, 140 lbs). I biked a lot, didn't have a car, and simply burned a lot of calories and never got bigger.

At 33 I started to go to the gym. For the first year, I went to the gym three times every week. As for diet, I kept it pretty similar to before, but I added a big protein shake every evening. After that year was over, I had gained weight for the first time since I was a teenager, about 25 lbs in muscles.

So yes, I think you're just eating normally, which keeps you at steady weight. The trick is to force yourself to eat more, even if you are not that hungry, and downing a big protein shake every evening before bed is a good way to make it a simple habit, rather than calculating your meals carefully. You say that you are not ok with milk, but there are various non-dairy alternatives out there, even if they won't be as caloric dense. But bottom line is: you just need to eat far more than you think you need when you want to gain weight. Trust me, I've been there.

Another thing that helped me: eating two breakfasts. I ate one breakfast at home, before going to work. Then at 9.30 or so I'd microwave a big-rear end bowl of oatmeal. 2 dl oatmeal + 4 dl water, 2 minutes or so, Bob's your uncle. Just cram that down your face every morning, helps you get those extra calories without getting too much sugar and poo poo.

This is all good advice. I spent most of my 20's fighting an autoimmune disease and during that time I had to learn to force myself to gain weight to avoid turning into a skeleton. Anyway, the thing about your stomach is it'll expand or contract based on what your eating habits are like. When you starve yourself then going forward less food will make you feel full, likewise if you're continuously stuffing yourself your capacity grows. You'll be surprised at how quickly you can ramp up your eating capacity if you set your mind to it.

So basically:
A) Make yourself bigger meals
B) Learn to clear your plate instead of eating until you're no longer hungry
C) Keep snacks on you, and start eating them the moment you feel "not full"
D) Lift weights
E) Go into YLLS and check out protein shakes and supplements, they have some good info there. Personally creatine was very helpful for me in gaining weight

Also be aware that you will probably need to adjust your habits again as you get older and your metabolism slows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread