Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
I was looking to encrypt my laptop and in case get stolen. However I only have windows 10 home Edition. There's not a whole bunch of critical information on it but there may be some tax stuff and things that would make identity theft easy.

Apparently BitLocker only works with Windows Professional. I tried veracrypt but was unable to get it to work.
Basically on the pretest the password would never work and it would just have to boot back into windows. I had turned off secure boot but that did not fix it. I spent a couple hours on it and got frustrated in quit.

Is there any way to provide some level of security to my laptop without upgrading to professional? I obviously already have a user password to get into windows.

Maybe I should continue to work with veracrypt I was thinking maybe it had to do with a GPT partition table but I haven't looked into it enough.
Thanks so much for your help.

Running in Asus Windows 10 home laptop
On I-5 processor, six gigabytes of RAM. 80 GB SSD

If you need the complete specs I can certainly look them up I'm just not at my computer right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I used to recommend GRC's TrueCrypt for this, but it's been discontinued update-wise. Maybe give it a look anyway?

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Check out AxCrypt if you haven't already as a solution for singular files.

• Locked thread