Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!

TheFlyingLlama posted:

10 pack bundle for completing it, the first five times you complete it.

Correction. But it is still better than last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I would've settled for one pack for every competition with a guaranteed silver or better but that's still a significant improvement. Conquest was basically the only non-RTTS mode I played, and it lost significant replay value when I wasn't getting rewards, so it'd be nice if they actually gave you a reason to keep playing it after you exhaust the original rewards

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Timby posted:

Never minded Lyons that much but if I no longer have to hear Karros say, "Well, Matt..." eighty times a game, I'm happy.

I take it back, I take it back, Reynolds and Plesac are so loving awful in this game.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Coors field perk is insane. I started a season with 79 power and added a point about every month until I hit 85 at the end of the season. I hit 16 that whole year. With the added perk, I've now hit 30 and we're 2 weeks before the ASG.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

KDdidit posted:

The Coors field perk is insane. I started a season with 79 power and added a point about every month until I hit 85 at the end of the season. I hit 16 that whole year. With the added perk, I've now hit 30 and we're 2 weeks before the ASG.

I activated it around the ASG in my RttS character. I hit 115 HRs by the end of the season, another 21 in the playoffs.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just got this in the E3 sale. It owns but is there some BP mode where I can force it to throw only offspeed stuff? I know half the challenge is picking them up vs a fastball but I can't manage to connect at all.

Also I think I've walked like twice in any mode playing this a lot for like a week, online and off -- aside from my discipline, everyone just throws strikes.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Just got this in the E3 sale. It owns but is there some BP mode where I can force it to throw only offspeed stuff? I know half the challenge is picking them up vs a fastball but I can't manage to connect at all.

Also I think I've walked like twice in any mode playing this a lot for like a week, online and off -- aside from my discipline, everyone just throws strikes.

As far as I'm aware there isn't really a way to force the pitcher to throw offspeed stuff sorry. I will suggest trying some of the other hitting cameras. I personally fish eye, but I think it's usually strike zone or offset zone that are most recommend to people trying to get better at hitting. Also, just as a general warning, the computer doesn't really throw balls all that much until about all star difficulty, so it's pretty difficult to get walks on anything lower than that

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I don't believe there is a practice mode that allows you to choose what pitches to hit. You have walked two more times than I have in the entire history of this series.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Nobody walks in this game, since online everybody always throws strikes all the time, and in rtts everybody throws strike all the time unless you jack the difficulty way up, in which case you're more liable to strike out first.

For practicing, either play vs with a friend and have them only throw offspeed, or do standard pitching practice against a pitcher who's primary pitch is offspeed, like Rich Hill. You won't get 100% offspeed, but you'll get more of it than usual since the CPU favors its primary pitch.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I love this game, but I'm real bad at it. How bad? I just 3-1 on all-star and feel accomplished.

Speaking of walks, I walked three times in that game. Two were Stanton and the CPU was obviously pitching around him. Still, felt good.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I just had someone rage quit a ranked game. I was 1 K away from finishing the Archer program :(.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

actually getting some of these missions that require complete games in ranked seasons feels impossible some times. I've never managed a complete game shutout in ranked seasons because if I have a shutout through 7 innings they always quit

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Playing RTTS. Man, show time kind of breaks the running game huh? My 58 speed (counting the cleats)/35 stealing third baseman was just giving a standing green light.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Yea, but I save it for fields since running gets super easy once you realize how you can't be picked off at second and you can hold back on stick to never get picked off at first. And run when the catcher moves, not the pitcher.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

How hard are the team epics? Cause I really want that Crime Dog '95.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Also, this is not just me, right? -- there are more than a handful, like 10% I'd guess, of pitchers who have what has to be a glitched animation, where like their arm slot instantaneously changes at the moment of release and the ball comes out completely hosed up and I can't hit any of them for poo poo. Mike Foltynewicz is the one guy at MLB I can name off the top of my head but I saw plenty of others in MiLB RTTS. It's so bogus.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

team epics as a whole aren't too bad, as long as you have that entire team's roster. Off the top of my head the only particularly hard team epic 2 is the A's. The team epic 4s aren't terribly difficult as a whole, but some of them are hassles

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

well, the all star programs have been announced, and again there's no online play required, which is nice. In it's place there's just massive amounts of grinding, which is less nice

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Just had a person concede. You know how when a pitch leaves a pitcher's hand sometimes they know it's gone? I knew the game was over as soon as he threw the last pitch, here's why:

I have a weird kind of strategy where I play directional hitting the first time through the line up so I can turn my hand eye coordination off and just focus on if the pitcher is following a pattern. If I see a pattern, I turn zone on. Anyway, first time through the line-up, guy has no problems. He walks a dude and I force a couple of other 3 ball counts, but between my pop-outs and easy grounders the first time through the line-up is easy. Then he beans my pitcher. Zone hitting goes on. Next two hitters: line drive single and a hard line out. First pitch to the third hitter is a 3 run line drive homerun at the Polo Grounds. That is frustrating. The very next pitch is a fastball smack dab in the middle of my hit zone. I bomb it to the left-center corner for an easy inside-the-parker.

2 pitches and game goes from 0-0 to 4-0 and both are partially due to park quirks. Simple recipe for a concede.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Two things that happen way more in this game than IRL: infield hits and bloops that should be base hits turning into FCs when the AI holds a runner from first too conservatively and the outfielder is shallow enough to force them at second (I was actually wondering if a real scorer would call that an FC and rob the batter of what would've been a hit no question without a baserunning mistake).

I tried to play a few games of that event that started this afternoon (AL pitchers, NL hitters, no diamonds, <=78 team OVR) but everyone's just playing their normal lineups of like seven high golds and using trash SPs to make the rating, then replacing the SP with some monster reliever after the first batter cause it doesn't matter in a three-inning game. They need to do something like the way a plain old rated online game with two MLB teams carries over fatigue tied to the rotation slot to prevent that cause it's bullshit.

Got 39/40 Braves for the team epic but it'll take me weeks to grind out stubs to buy Freddie. Randomly dropped Aaron Nola and noticed the Phillies don't even have a gold player so that looks like a pretty easy epic, might pick that up along the way (though the reward is a commensurate gold Mike Schmidt (no disrespect, don't throw a battery at me Phils fans)).

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

well, I'm done with this game. I'm tired of losing games by one run because my well hit balls, pci on it, good timing, are flyouts to the track when it feels like every game I give up a cheap run or two because the other guy gets hits on late contact

also tired of loving flashback ben revere, but that's a whole other point entirely

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I like all the programs and missions giving you a reason to try out with different kinds of players but drat is the whole UX around them hosed. No way to save specific lineups of rookies/breakouts/vets/guys from one team when you're targeting stats for them? No badge like a bouncing exclamation point icon leading you toward missions/programs where you're got rewards ready to unlock? I had to just sit down with my phone and take a bunch of notes specifying the goals I needed to hit with say, any pitcher or a rookie pitcher or a specific guy in ranked or CPU or conquest games so I could look them up after the random pitcher selection and know what I was going for.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I loving hate this game sometimes. In 3 games against the CPU I have a combined score of 21-3 and I lost twice.

The last game I have up one hit and lost. I struck out 3 times in the game. All three looking at pitches out of the zone.

What a loving joke.

Edit: Sinkers for the CPU are straight up cheating. Guess right, see it's not knee high, swing, pound it into the ground anyway.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Someone let me know when this game drops below $30

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wow I didn't think a pickoff move could ever actually succeed in this game but I just got Ryan Braun at first with Aaron Nola. I just reflexively try one with any runner with decent speed assuming it might discourage a CPU steal.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I started as a SP, and the White Sox moved me into the closer position. Every time I tell my agent I want to become a starter, he tells me that if the White Sox see me as a closer, I should stick with that. Is there any hope that I'll become a starter again? It's been 1 1/2 seasons now.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

funny thing happened in RTTS: I play for the Giants, but I wanted a trade. Agent is like we'll see what happens since you have two years to free agency. I pick the options that push for a trade, and I get it. I'm traded in April over to the A's, but they fall out of the race quickly. So agent hits me up again and tells me I might get moved since I'm close to free agency. Come July, I get dealt again... back to the Giants.

I wish there was some special dialogue when something like this happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Did they fix this stupid loving game to at least tell your RTTS pitcher that a loving shift is on so that I don't have to pitch every single lefty inside just in case lest he hit any ball on the outer half EXACTLY WHERE THE loving SS SHOULD BE

I'm also the best pitcher in baseball I had 400k last season, I've won the last 4 Cy Youngs, I don't need you to loving shift for brock loving holt

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 9, 2017

• Locked thread