Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deep dish peat moss

There are a lot of dog breeds lost to the annals of time. Share some of the ones you know to preserve their memory.

German Tankhund
The German Tankhund died out back in the early 1800s when the Industrial Revolution swept across Germany and the Tankhund was no longer needed for manual labor. Not only did this dog provide its name to the modern Tank, but the design of the Tank Tread as well - a direct mimic of its bizarre tread-like legs and warped bone structure that allowed it to patrol early German villages and keep them safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

Russian Queenhound
These dogs were very strange because of their uncanny resemblance to Humans. Sometime in the early 1900s, after it was discovered that several of the most recent Tsars had actually been Queenhounds and no one ever knew, the Russian people had them hunted and culled.

Jedrick

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Bong Dog: The Dog That's a Bong
Pretty self explanatory IMO. Fairly high maintenence breed, had to change their water on the regular, and it was pretty expensive to feed. Died out do to people's friends coming over and knocking them off their tables.

Beachcomber

Another day in paradise.

Silver Retriever

Similar to a Golden Retriever but with a beautiful silvery coat. Died out due to their tendency to trade their food for coins to hoard, and their persistent belief that any medical problem could be fixed with colloidal silver.

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
The Docks Hund

This unfortunate breed had a tendency to pick fights with drunken sailors down at the harbor, but lacking anything but stumpy legs to defend itself, would usually get shanked and die. The last one to go bled out at Dock 14 at Port Newark in 1953.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
the log dog

this dog was constituted entirely of wood logs. while popularly bred in liboa due to their inherent buoyancy, they were eventually wiped out in then ensuing fires of the earthquake of 1755

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
the smooch pooch

the only known dog race recorded to have lips. last known specimen died in captivity due to herpes in 1967

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
the real butt mutt

more often stinkin than thinkin, these stinkhounds could once be found all over this great land wherever there was 💩 : in cowfields, in sewers, my grandaddy told me about one that lived in an outhouse when he was a kid. the lasr known specimen or'ed on opiate painkillers which stopped its butt from functioning

vanisher

Friendog

Was such a good friend to his owner that he lent him $100 for that Beastie Boys concert which was never repaid. Not that he's holding it against them, I mean at the time he didn't say when he needed the money and he knows he's good for it. He just wishes his owner would do more of the house work since his mom had to co-sign their lease due to his owners bad credit. But things happen man, Friendog understand that.

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Nosfereefer

invisible dogs

not actually gone per se, but impossible to find

BIRDCON 2017

Dog Breed That Wore Stilts And Lived Near Active Volcano Mauna Loa

they didn't last very long.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Perpetual Retriever

Someone crossed a golden retriever with a greyhound and the drat thing's still out there chasing it's tail somewhere in a perpetual game of fetch

Pot Smoke Phoenix fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 17, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
The Prog Dog
An experimental breed that was curious, adventurous, and a little too shaggy (if we're being honest). Breeders lost interest as they turned to more glamorous breeds for show or to grungier breeds for work.

google THIS

Eastern Duckhound

A dog specially bred to be indistinguishable from a duck, for use in duck hunting. Not only did it closely resemble a duck, it was able to gain the flock's trust by behaving like them, migrating with them, mating with them, laying eggs, warning them of approaching predators and hunters, and flying away when their owners tried to retrieve them. In fact they may have actually been ducks disguised as dogs disguised as ducks. We'll never know because the only known breeders left town unannounced when people started asking questions.

google THIS fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 17, 2017

alnilam

William Jennings Bryish Setter

Popular breed with farmers, and known for being strongly opinionated on monetary policy. Close ally of the silver retriever; went into hiding after that breed disappeared.

Senior Management

The Hot Dog
Too delicious for its own good

:jerry:

wearing a lampshade

Actually Pretty Husky

Like a Siberian husky but a bit more swole and with a deeper voice.

wearing a lampshade

Notary Pawblic

Prior to the invention of the legal system, this special breed of dog was the only way a ruler could legitimise land claims. This had less to do with the dog, who couldn't read or write and just put paw prints on whatever was in front of it, and more to do with the fact that no one else could either.

deep dish peat moss

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

The Prog Dog
An experimental breed that was curious, adventurous, and a little too shaggy (if we're being honest). Breeders lost interest as they turned to more glamorous breeds for show or to grungier breeds for work.

deep dish peat moss

A lot of ancient dog breeds were classified as Gaynines and they're extinct for obvious reasons.

deep dish peat moss

Chief among them were the Golden Laberace and the Appenzellen DeGeneres

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
What's Up Dog

Bred for it's intelligence and loyalty, this breed is no longer classified as a breed for the simple fact that the dogs used their superior intelligence to obtain degrees in law and established themselves as a sentient entity that is outside human law and therefore not bound by the constraints of our society.

In turn, NASA funded the safe relocation of the What's Up Dog to a lunar colony where they continue to thrive in a vibrant if not secretive trade with Earth for raw materials and food stuffs in exchange for invaluable research in astrophysics and advancements in technology.

Each and every one of them is a good dog, too!

They Might Be

Canadian Bullhound

A rare breed that absolutely exists, it just goes to school in another state. It's real, I promise.

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

The Bad Dog

Most people are not sure if this breed ever existed, but members of the radical extremist group Cat People insist on it.

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i like it when i ask a dog whos a good boy and he tells me i am :3:

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
Doggone

It was lost.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

google THIS

The Bull-Shih Tzu

A hybrid bred only for the funny name. Never got off the ground due to underhanded business tactics and lobbying by Big Cockapoo.

social vegan

written and edited by the baha men

cda

by Hand Knit

Jedrick posted:

Bong Dog: The Dog That's a Bong
Pretty self explanatory IMO. Fairly high maintenence breed, had to change their water on the regular, and it was pretty expensive to feed. Died out do to people's friends coming over and knocking them off their tables.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Space Taxi
Diabetes Dog

Bred to sniff out insulin disorders in their owners. Most got eaten or traded for skittles.

Scaly Haylie

Bomberanian

Had kind of a population boom a while back.

Nosfereefer

cat
did not really work out as a dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Historical Wizards

Steller's Sea Dog

Beloved for its friendliness and often thought to bring good luck. While their tendency to chase boats was initially seen as scampish and harmless, it would eventually lead to the species extinction after the sail was replaced by more advanced propulsion systems.

Many thanks Social Vegan for the wonderful av, and Fanky Malloons for the sig

• Locked thread