Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
So I've just now run into this issue where, after pressing the "E" key, I can't use "D" or "C" sometimes. However, either rapidly pressing "C" or going back and forth between "C" and "D" fixes the problem. Should I replace the keyboard, or is this a matter of crap getting caught under the keys? They aren't any harder to press, they just don't provide the appropriate letter when pressed. No other combination of letters causes the problem except "E," and it only affects "C" and "D". I've tried clearing out some of the gunk by very gently removing the key's cover and moving hair follicles and stuff like that out with a toothpick, and when the loss of the keys seemed permanent that restored it to this state. Haven't done anything new besides play a competitive FPS far more often.

Running OS X El Capitan 10.11 in 32-bit. An HP ProBook 450 G2. Intel Graphics HD 5500, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i5 processor 16 GB of RAM, not that those are relevant (probably). In the USA, have read the FAQ/googled the problem. I know it sounds dumb, but I figured I may as well ask some experts before deciding if I should spend 15 dollars on shipping a mini-vacuum or 40 + shipping both ways to have a friend of mine handle replacing the keyboard since my hands shake too much for even stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You're running an HP laptop as a hackintosh? That kind of muddies the waters.

That aside, I'd suggest having someone reseat the cable for your keyboard, which can be straightforward or a massive pain in the rear end depending on how that exact model is put together. You can usually find decent teardown videos for more laptops online. Even so, what you describe sounds like behavior I have seen in failed keyboards both laptop and desktop, where a vertical stripe of keys goes out or otherwise misbehaves.

You might first see if the behavior persists in Windows or Linux, since it sounds like are running a highly non-standard OS on that hardware.

• Locked thread