Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Oh nice, I may need to relisten to that ep, I forgot what their takes were.

Enjoyed Double Dragon film ep, they had good points about how it’s essentially the same production values as the first Mario movie but barely gets any attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Micheal is not in witness protection. I have no idea how people started believing that he is

Lamarr sucks is maybe the worst opinion I've heard from a man whose bad opinion totals are truly astronomical

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 9, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

Micheal is not in witness protection. I have no idea how people started believing that he is

Lamarr sucks is maybe the worst opinion I've heard from a man whose bad opinion totals are truly astronomical

Was about to put you on blast for posting in the wrong thread, then realized that you might be referring to the GTA V ep that went up today.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Gaius Marius posted:

:ironicat:

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

lol, go to hell bud. My opinions are all in one place and super easy to avoid, bored anime lady avatar person.

Anywho, yeah, it's not quite witness protection. It's a deal. I'll cop to that.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gary ongoing dislike of Dave Grohl is fun.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

My (biggest) issue with Grand Theft Auto V was that it was hard to find optional/bonus stuff to do, something that was also a problem before in GTA4. I kinda wanted to replay it for the show but it's probably a good thing that GTA5 is one-and-done for me.

EDIT: A cool Easter Egg at the end of this week's Abject Suffering.

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 20, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Enjoyed the GTAV ep, wonder how much their mostly positive experience benefitted from a decade of patches and free content updates. I played at launch on 360 & it was mostly fine but I recall online being totally unplayable for a long while.

Agree with their take that two of the three main characters are dull & overall the writing is bad, with Michael’s family being especially annoying & made worse by being such a big part of the early game. I wish the game as a whole didn’t feel a need to be at a 10 at all times & dialed it back to let the city seem like a real place or for characters to pipe down now and again, rather than try to have half written social commentary or tortured sex puns crammed into every pixel.

Was a bit surprised they disliked GTAIV so much & hadn’t touched the expansions. That on PC is easily in my top three games of all time as speeding past skyscrapers in a helicopter at full speeds hasn’t been topped.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
"I don't want people to come away from this episode liking The Order 1886 more, I want them to come away liking other games less" is a powerful Gary statement. I totally get what you're saying though.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Listened to the latest dispatch. Not terribly excited for the games coming in January but whatevs. I'm sure they will be great episodes. I've also been thinking about Gary putting a call out for games that have a single-sentence reputation dismissing them for a generalized reason. I don't have anything off the top of my head (yet), but I think it's an important discussion because any media that gets reduced to a very memey criticism– like, that's bad.

Also, upon finishing Day of the Tentacle I went back and listened to the WOFF episode on it and I had forgotten that they wedged a discussion of Maniac Mansion in there. Pretty neat!

(I was disappointed that their ECHO episode wasn't on Echo, the gay furry visual novel. It would have been such new frontiers for them!)

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 1, 2023

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Reminder that Duckstream is this weekend! It promises to be an insane time as usual:

http://duckfeed.tv/duckstream

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Enjoyed Best Quality Vacuum discuss when Saul gave Jesse a small cactus as a housewarming present & Jesse looked at it and sat it down by the door, which they described as "behavior of a Sim.”

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/koleross/status/1732905423907217847#m

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Enjoying this Mass Effect ep so far. As a Confirmed Mass Effect liker and, worse, someone who thinks ME1 is the best of the series, I was prepped to spend the ep disagreeing with Gary and Kole. But tbh, they're right about everything I've heard them talk about so far, I just think it impacts my enjoyment a lot less than it did theirs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Woffle posted:

lol, go to hell bud. My opinions are all in one place and super easy to avoid, bored anime lady avatar person.

Anywho, yeah, it's not quite witness protection. It's a deal. I'll cop to that.

Visual novel

Very sad after listening to the Mass Effect pod that Gary will likely never get to the end of three. after how he reacted to Shepard being the world's most special soldier I'd pay money to see him go off on the "Tell me another story of the Shepard horseshit at the end.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This is my personal favorite type of episode - a deep dive into a series/property that I have never and will likely never play, especially after the episode when I have enough of a baseline of information that I know what people are talking about in regards to said series/property. Thanks fellas!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lightningproof posted:

Enjoying this Mass Effect ep so far. As a Confirmed Mass Effect liker and, worse, someone who thinks ME1 is the best of the series, I was prepped to spend the ep disagreeing with Gary and Kole. But tbh, they're right about everything I've heard them talk about so far, I just think it impacts my enjoyment a lot less than it did theirs.

Yeah I haven’t listened yet but did like ME1 a lot especially the premise of humanity being a minor power that has a lot of catching up to do but most aliens don’t give it a second thought & Earth isn’t the center of the universe. Then ME2 had incredible energy & combat & felt like they had fixed Star Wars. Anyway yeah great two game series.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The Saw episode is great with Kole being a huge fan of the lore & Gary being admittedly too sleep deprived to fight back.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Ski or Die ruled, get on that

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Sounds like Gary isn't eager to get to Mass Effect 2, which is fine. His comments on JRPGs being RPGs that take away the complexity to be more accessible resonated with me because I never liked the choice-making in the Mass Effect games (or at least I didn't feel it) but liked it as a big adventure with combat and character growth– kinda like a JRPG.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Having trouble making it through the ME1 episodes, totally fair Gary isn’t a fan but didn’t expect nonstop negativity. I know it’s not a masterpiece but did have fun, but feels like they are regarding it as a train wreck that failed on every level which isn’t fun to listen to. When they mentioned considering it pro-Iraq war era American propaganda I got concerned as would be hard for them to say anything positive with that interpretation.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Glad that Gary found his detective game with Curse of the Golden Idol. I like the sound of it myself, but I find the aesthetic repulsive so I won't check it out. I think the reason why genuine detective games are hard to find is because I think classic detective situation require a lot of improvisation and would require lots of different mechanics to be programmed in.

I'm also finally done catching up with WOFF, having listened to all the episodes I wanted to. About a year ago when I started listening again, I said that it didn't seems like there were a lot of new threads to pick up but I've noticed that WOFF's philosophy on challenge is that a game should only be as hard as it needs to be to emphasize the mechanics. WOFF is about the cause and effect of mechanics.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

DoubleCakes posted:

Glad that Gary found his detective game with Curse of the Golden Idol. I like the sound of it myself, but I find the aesthetic repulsive so I won't check it out.
It honestly grows on you.

I felt a sense of resentment visiting its Steam page before purchase, like why are people making me look at this ugly thing.

Now, having done the game and its DLCs: these folks are my Idol buddies, they are my trusted friends and they are beautiful.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Catching up on pods missed due to holiday travel, and I really like this bit in the December Dispatch about leaving yourself reminders and making it easier to do the things that you actually want to do. No ADHD or similar diagnosis here (what prompted the discussion), just working to be more purposeful with my time in 2024.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gary threatening to shoot anyone who adds a plot to Crazy Taxi.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
I got some funny looks in the breakroom from how hard I laughed at "Hey- hey Gary? What loving comics did they write?
Whenever Kole says "Hey Gary?" in that tone, you know you're in for a treat.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
still don't know what a bakugan is

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Been enjoying Gary’s newfound dislike of the Offspring, guessing he got sick of them on Crazy Taxi soundtrack.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Got a good chuckle about the discussion around cultural tiers and cultural nerfing in the AOE2 episode. Kind of want to get back into that game now.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Enjoyed Gary referring to a cruel act on Breaking Bad as “Planescape Torment lovely”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gary expressed concern about being able to fly as it would put him at risk of air to Gar missiles.