Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
this game is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

whats is it op

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Caves of Qum.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Caves of Qum.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

whats is it op

roguleike in the post apocalypse so you cn play mutants nd such. i played one f the free versions but IMO its just not worth it when nethack/crawl/adom/tome/etc. are 100% free

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

extremebuff posted:

whats is it op

its a cool roguelike that is very accessible to newcomers and has all sorts of crazy poo poo like procedurally generated history and books written by markov bots. the steam version is 15 dollars and has tiles and weekly updates or you can download the old school ascii version for free. both the tiles and ascii are very well done and its pretty easy to tell what is what. theres not a lot of stuff that isnt transparent. you can choose to play as a pureblooded human or a filthy mutant with a wide variety of skills and mutations to choose from
you can get the ascii version on this page:
http://freeholdgames.com/Press/sheet.php?p=caves_of_qud

there's daily and weekly seeds where you start with a preset class and stats and can see how you stack up with other people on a global leaderboard

there are artifacts and curiosities from the old world you can find and use, provided your character is smart enough to figure out what they are. some times its useless junk

some of them depict the history of the great sultans

and some provide life advice

anyway i think its super cool and fresh with lots of crazy rear end content. if you like the free version enough its definitely worth the money to support the devs, and the weekly updates are pretty robust. recently all the combat skills have been getting overhauled, normally with one skill tree a week along with other content and fixes

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Where are you supposed to go after Joppa? I did the first few quests there, wandered around, and eventually got killed by some shrub shooting bullet seeds at me.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
argyve sends you to the grit gate, which is to the northeast if you go to the world map with >. dont get owned like me and wander around the rusted archway thinking it was the grit gate

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

braap braap :whatup:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get murdered by the mosquitoes and lizards to the north with regularity

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
welp i died where i always do in golgotha, rip balla of the salts

^^^ harvestry is a good skill investment for survivability cause you can use it to get witchwood bark from witchwood trees. its a pretty good insta heal if youre out of injectors but it has a chance to confuse you for a few rounds

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 19, 2017

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

This game is a good way to train for a real rogue like like dcss or shiren or isaac

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I've beaten dcss like 5 times so I want something different, like this

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Yeah I was being facetious, qud looks great but my idiot brain can only take big sprites no hard small letters

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this seems very cool but a little too hardcore for this gamer. respect OP

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
i made a build where my dude could enthrall npcs and then suck the life out of them as needed while they still fought for me. rn i have an attack bear and can shoot lasers w my mind. whats cool about qud is that you can save and share builds, so if you enter

bihjimmrabdadldpdvec

at character creation, you can play the same build! i was doing really well with it but i died because i bounced a gas grenade off the tree i was hiding behind and my lungs dissolved

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
waves of pud

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Oh Don Piano posted:

waves of pud

One could say you crave the pud.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Game's a Dud.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i went into the cave of a legendary sunfish and tore through wave after wave of enemies to find it

it was just hangin out in a pond on the bottom floor, without a care in the world

i starve too much becasue i try to wander around on the world map to find cool lairs and ruins and dont take cool skills like harvesting or butchery

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Doctor Goat posted:

i went into the cave of a legendary sunfish and tore through wave after wave of enemies to find it

it was just hangin out in a pond on the bottom floor, without a care in the world

i starve too much becasue i try to wander around on the world map to find cool lairs and ruins and dont take cool skills like harvesting or butchery

you can eat corpses without any penalty, glowfish are pretty plentiful around joppa and dont weigh too much

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
do they ever rot or are they like nethack lichen corpses

whats hte point of butchery then

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
i dont think anything rots but most corpses weigh a bunch, which is why you want butchery to carry around bear cutlets instead of an entire bear

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
also, butchery can create unique items from dead monsters, e.g. making shields out of crabs

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
had a really promising tinker/cudgel run die because the end boss showed up in the middle of the salt flats and iced me

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

quote:

*There's now a very small chance that any given wall or door is sentient.

Dec 26, 2012

lol

Dec 26, 2012

i like this game but tinkers are annoying to get off the ground

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Is this some Sirius Cybernetics poo poo?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

01011001 posted:

i like this game but tinkers are annoying to get off the ground

lately ive been starting as true man artifex and putting INT to 14 since you get +3 w the artifex start and dont have to meet the att reqs to have the starting skills be granted to you/work. that way i have a few more points to put towards STR/AGI/TGH to make sure i dont die, and i also put a couple points into EGO so i dont get screwed on vendor pricing. skill wise ive been branching into long blades and using defensive stance, which you should be able to get before you leave Joppa even if you dont get any artifacts for argyve from the 4 chests because of the random injectors and poo poo you start with

e: here is the build

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is this some Sirius Cybernetics poo poo?

i think it's more that the doors and walls have actual brains? idk i havent ran into any ingame yet

e: this build works better and gives you 100sp per lvl AERKOMIL, last one had INT 1 pt too low so you couldnt spec long blades right out of the gate

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 26, 2017

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
gently caress!!! just lost a real promising run in the redrock tunnels looking for the miners helmet since i couldnt find a glowsphere anywhere. a snapjaw had a serrated sword and chopped my feet and my right arm off. i managed to kill him with my shield and then grabbed my arm and feet and went back the way i came. managed to get to the elder and burned two ubernostrum injectors regrowing my limbs.

then i went back in the tunnels like a retard and a loving beetlebum killed me from full health

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Caves of Cum

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Robot Randy posted:

and some provide life advice

this is some high wisdom

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
how does it feel to play a game made by a goon

is it slimy

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

SavageMessiah posted:

how does it feel to play a game made by a goon

is it slimy

you can find/build a timecube in game, if that tells you anything

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Robot Randy posted:

you can find/build a timecube in game, if that tells you anything
that's cool. I liked Jonny Five Aces etc in New Vegas

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
whelp, found a lava and cider weep right next to the stiltgrounds, both are insanely expensive to merchants :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Robot Randy posted:

gently caress!!! just lost a real promising run in the redrock tunnels looking for the miners helmet since i couldnt find a glowsphere anywhere. a snapjaw had a serrated sword and chopped my feet and my right arm off. i managed to kill him with my shield and then grabbed my arm and feet and went back the way i came. managed to get to the elder and burned two ubernostrum injectors regrowing my limbs.

then i went back in the tunnels like a retard and a loving beetlebum killed me from full health

oftentimes the warden in joppa has a glowsphere to trade

• Locked thread