Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Problem description: Hey Folks! For the sake of simplicity I'll break my problem down into some stages because my computer degenerated over the past four months. Also I basically plan on doing a system upgrade, that will be my final fix. But I just want to know what went wrong for closure.

Stage one 4ish months ago:
My system was a:
I5-3570K
A 40 buck coolermaster cpu fan
Radeon XFX HD 7870
8 gigs of ram
Cheapish Asus z77 mobo
Corsair cx600, on arrival capacitor whine? (High pitch noise constantly if plugged in and on. Even if the computer was off)
Windows 7

At this point I've had my computer for about 4 years, and I was having trouble running Deus Ex Mankind Divided, game would crash pretty often with either no errors or graphic driver error messages. This eventually effectrd even overwatch at moderate graphics. Okay.

Fix Attempt: Aging card, okay! Grabbed a Gigabyte GTX windforce 1060 6GB. Cool, sizable improvement for a reasonable price. I install it but the problem persists. I reinstall drivers and uninstall drivers multiple times. I eventually decide there was an error with the Radeons old drivers still being used somehow and I reinstall windows 7. This solves the problem for a time, I can run Overwatch, Witcher 3, and Deus Ex. Though at a reduced quality than the parts in my build would suggest in fps.

Stage Two: Two months later the problem persists
Games be crashing at occasions where I think that they shouldnt. My I5-3570K and 1060, though not the best in the market, should suffer frame dips before crashing. I reinstalled drivers several times and I'm still frustrated with the performance. I've decided that the new graphics card must have been faulty, I've forgotten about the reasons why I picked jt up in the first place, I pick up an Identical model from a store nearby to test it.

Attempted fix: replace the old 1060 with the new one.
Doesnt work? They're both doing similar and poor, crashing on lowest settings of most games. I put the old graphics card in a different PCI-e port, this fixed the issue. For a time. I was happy to return the product I bought to test. I perform a mem okay test to see if they're the problem. They're good.

Stage 3: two or so weeks ago.
Once again PC cant run games very good, or my computer crashes on start of a game. I've started to learn about overclocking graphics cards thinking that my computer just was bad and looking for ways to make up for it. My card never goes over 70 degrees but will still crash before I push voltage up. Whatever it still clocks pretty good, and it helps a bit. Doesnt solve the problem. My PC begins crashing randomly, it crashes and displays a single colour on my monitor. At least 4 times.

Attempted Fixes: I do a mem test, mem is ok. I look online and figure it could be the PSU dying, I buy a multimeter and test it, they are all hitting their voltages, except the 4 pin peripherals sometimes. Huh. I install Z-CPU to look at the cpu, its clocking at 4.2 GHZ. What the heck? Also the voltage was going up and down, a bit...it also randomly falls to a 16x multiplier every 3-5 seconds for half a second. I didnt know my PC was overclocking all this time, but Asus and Intel both have Bios poo poo that will overclock automatically apparently! So I manually adjust, desiring to underclock it. I set it to 38x and 1.2 volts. Doesnt boot past windows loading screen. I hear a click and my peripheral leds lose their lights and computer restarts.

Stage Four?: computer doesn't boot past windows if over 1.000 volts and 3.5 ghz

Atempted fix: I bought a new psu, its nice and doesnt have that hell noise that has plagued me for 4 years, but doesnt solve the booting problem. EVGA gold 80+, very nice. But my computer is still broken. Even though it starts 60% of the time with this voltage, if I try and start any graphical game the computer will bluescreen with a SQL driver error, mentioning something about hardware.
--

Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit Home Prem

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I suspect despite my test the PSU was damaged somehow, and damaged my Mobo or CPU over time. I hope it hasnt damaged my gpu, but only time will tell on a new CPU andMobo. I am so confused and I just want an answer, I want to know more about my computer because I loved it a lot and was pretty good to me.

I want closure, and obviously you folks know more about PC's then me, any ideas about what's gone wrong? Any questions?

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Toalpaz posted:

Corsair cx600, on arrival capacitor whine? (High pitch noise constantly if plugged in and on. Even if the computer was off)

That can be a sign of a failing PSU. The fact that it was doing it from the beginning isn't good.

It could be a dying motherboard. RAM can still be an issue even if memtests are passed.

Multimeter tests on a PSU won't be conclusive because you can't properly simulate a load when testing like that.

I would bet it was a failing HD/motherboard/RAM. CPU failure is a possibility but it's very uncommon.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Hey, I'm sorry. I should have mentioned. The windows partition is on a new SSD, probably less than a year old. I don't think it would fail. Still that doesn't really narrow down the likely suspects. But yeah, definitely could be the mobo.

I thought because of the voltage thing, upping the voltage causing windows to fail to boot, would make the CPU a suspect. The mobo can fail as well like that?

Yeah it could be a lot of things, thanks for the comment. I appreciate it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Toalpaz posted:

Hey, I'm sorry. I should have mentioned. The windows partition is on a new SSD, probably less than a year old. I don't think it would fail. Still that doesn't really narrow down the likely suspects. But yeah, definitely could be the mobo.

I thought because of the voltage thing, upping the voltage causing windows to fail to boot, would make the CPU a suspect. The mobo can fail as well like that?

Yeah it could be a lot of things, thanks for the comment. I appreciate it.

Yea, if it's a decent SSD it's unlikely to be an issue.

Yes, I'd bet on motherboard failure a lot more than CPU failure. CPU failures are very rare and PSU/motherboard/RAM/GPU failures are so common.

• Locked thread