Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
SEASON 2 STARTS TUESDAY 2/21 ON TBS

The husband-wife team of Jason Jones and Samantha Bee, longtime correspondents on "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart," executive produce a comedy series inspired by their own experiences with family vacations. Jones stars as Nate, who in Season 1 plans an adventure of a lifetime -- a road trip from New York to Florida -- with wife Robin and their young kids, rebellious daughter Delilah and simpleton son Jared. Packed in cramped quarters, the 1,300-mile journey soon detours into disastrous territory as the family encounters one hellish turn after another.

It's basically remake of Family Vacation done right. I won't say any more about Season 1 because you should WATCH IT RIGHT NOW. But if you need a recap...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMT_9KutTEU

Season 2 returns to New York as the family moves into the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDQjOpPy0OQ

CAST

Jason Jones as Nate Parker Jr.

Natalie Zea as Robin Randall AKA Robin Rabinowitz AKA Regina Alberta AKA Virginia Montana

Ashley Gerasimovich as Delilah Parker

Liam Carroll as Jared Jareb Parker

Season 2 starts tomorrow at 10pm EST with a one hour commercial free premier. And remember to follow the show on social media...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Looking forward to season 2. Season 1 was really funny and had the number 1 hosed up plot on TV last year in the B&B episodes.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
NYTimes interviewed Jason Jones

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/21/arts/television/jason-jones-moves-the-detour-from-trailer-park-to-central-park.html

quote:

Last season Jason Jones careened into “The Detour” — the TBS sitcom he created with his wife, Samantha Bee of “Full Frontal” fame — by having his television daughter get her period while using the bathroom at a strip club, guided into womanhood by a klatch of maternal exotic dancers.

For this former wide-traveling, subversively comical correspondent on “The Daily Show With Jon Stewart,” that was just a prelude of raunch to come.

Season 2 finds Mr. Jones’s alter ego, Nate Parker, a corporate whistle-blower from Syracuse, taking his family on yet another journey to hell — this time to New York City — and discovering that he knows next to nothing about Robin (Natalie Zea), his wife, sort of, for the past 14 years, who is being investigated by the feds.

Over a plate of huevos rancheros at Cafe Luxembourg on the Upper West Side, not far from his home, the cheery Mr. Jones, 43 — his bright-blue eyes flashing as he lobbed wisecracks — talked about what makes him laugh, and what doesn’t. These are edited excerpts from the conversation.

So, where do we find those zany Parkers in Season 2?

I’m day-drinking because I’ve been unemployed for 18 months after I lost my job at the biotech firm. We had to sell our house so we’re living in a trailer park in Syracuse. Then I get a call, a mysterious LinkedIn offer, which should have tipped me off, and I become the C.O.O. of this corporation run by the incredible James Cromwell. We move to New York City, sort of the hotbed of criminality from Robin’s past, so she’s a little trepidatious, and things quickly unravel. It’s finally not my fault. Women can be stupid, too.

They say that show was inspired by your own road trips with your wife and kids.

I don’t know what marketing company wrote that. Everything is inspired by a moment, but it’s not called “The Road Trip.” It’s called “The Detour” for a reason. It’s a metaphor, if you will.

And yet that period story …

The period was based on a Sam story where she got it in a restaurant one time, and her dad didn’t know what to do. Then I was like, “It’s not funny in a restaurant — let’s jack it up a little bit.”

Humor-wise, you’ll push the envelope pretty far. Are there places you won’t go?

If it makes me laugh, I’ll go there. Actually, no, that’s not true at all. Let me back up. I had a joke in the Season 2 pilot where we’re living in this trailer park and insulting all the other people who live there, where in truth we’re the rednecks. So first I spill some beet juice all over my face, and then I get hit in the nose with my daughter’s nunchucks. And I go like this [rubs shirt on face] and it makes a swastika on my [tank top]. We wound up axing the scene because it didn’t feel right any more. In the P.C. culture that we were sort of living in last summer, it was like, Oh, isn’t this funny? But when it started happening in earnest, we didn’t want to lean into this.

How did you meet Samantha?

I met her doing children’s theater actually. I hesitate to call it theater because it was really just mall appearances playing children’s characters from an animated show that was very popular in Canada called “Sailor Moon.” All the women wore short skirts. It was terrible.

Were you wearing a short skirt?

I was in a tuxedo, like a gentleman, and a mask. What’s that stupid movie that’s out now — “Shades of Grey”?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
"My name is Jareb... that's with a B... for boobs.... boobs?"

"Be your own OSHA"
"My own ocean? I'M LAKE MICHIGAN!"

Oh god... right in the eye :barf:

Zero One fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 22, 2017

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Episode 3 was beyond crazy and exactly the type of humor I want in my TV watching

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Normally I despise children in comedies, but the kids that play Jareb and Delilah have great timing and body language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
:lol: at Jareb -the whitest boy ever- being Carlos's son.

• Locked thread