Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Wendigee posted:

i wanted to see the end scene in ~ 2 hours and not pay for the system, controller, game, etc?

I game on PC i'm not buying a console for 1 game.

same reason i watched a bit of blood borne on twitch. I'm not buying a PS4 for 1 game but I wanted to see what it was about.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-the-cemu-emulators-devs-got-breath-of-the-wild-running-in-just-a-few-hours

E: Anyone who is going to get I Am Setsuna but also likes having the physical product, there's no physical American release, but you can get the Japanese version (which has English captions) on Amazon.jp for $5 more (free shipping) than it would cost you on the eshop.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

There is no way the Switch sold better than the Wii over 2 days is there?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

id guess very easily. the wii was a piece of poo poo to enthusiasts, but it had a long tail with non gamers with a large living room

e. the wii was a word of mouth thing to the core

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Yeah the Wii took a while to finally start taking off.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Just up thread there are photos of scalpers who purchased ten systems. I've seen a ton of scalpers in my local Craigslist and FB swap groups as well.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm sure it's because of the recent shortage of NES minis, scalpers no doubt thought the same thing would happen to the switch. But Nintendo has pumped out huge numbers to profit from day one hype and they knew they had a really strong launch game.

lol at everything about the joycons though, what a garbage design

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How to make sure your game is the best selling ever: Make it be the only game for a brand new console.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

How to make sure your game is the best selling ever: Make it be the only game for a brand new console.

That's one way to spin it. The other way is to point out that it's the best-selling game despite the fact that people had to buy an entire new console just to play it.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

There are more people now.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cnut the Great posted:

That's one way to spin it. The other way is to point out that it's the best-selling game despite the fact that people had to buy an entire new console just to play it.

You have to buy a new console to play it for every exclusive launch game. In addition, this could be distorted by the fact the Switch launched at the same time world-wide. Sounds like a meaningless marketing soundbite.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

CONSOLES ALWAYS SELL OUT ON LAUNCH DAY ALL THIS MEANS IS THEY HAD A LARGER AMOUNT OF SWITCHS AVAILABLE AT LAUNCH THAN THEY DID WIIS AAAAH :spergin:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Molestationary Store posted:

CONSOLES ALWAYS SELL OUT ON LAUNCH DAY ALL THIS MEANS IS THEY HAD A LARGER AMOUNT OF SWITCHS AVAILABLE AT LAUNCH THAN THEY DID WIIS AAAAH :spergin:

The Wii was (rightfully) perceived as a piece of poo poo at launch.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Towers that reveal the map? Crafting? This is troubling.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

The Dennis System posted:

Are you talking about the latest Ubisoft game? I'll have you know this is the gibbis thread for discussing the new nintendo console - the switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Also, the vidja game market has grown greatly, even since the mid-2000s Wii launch.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I call it the Nintendo Britches because I'll be needing a new pair after I pop the buttons off of mine from being so proud of owning this ground breaking system

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

When Ubisoft does it, it's a cheap cliche. Zelda? Incredible, innovative, unprecedented.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
LMAO. Dreams coming true here.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Justin Tyme posted:

No good crafting system should ever have you directly interact with the ingredients but rather just be a requirement to press the "make" button, and should include the option to make until your supply runs out

Well.... I dunno. System shock 2 has you doing the hands on crafting, what's more your inventory is just at the top of the screen, you're still playing while crafting, and a mad zombie could ambush you any second.

It's horrible and messy and clunky and that's the point, it's terrifying and makes you feel like you're in over your head doing the chemistry / biology crafting.

The point is the in game systems should reflect the overall theme of the game. If the game is like an arcade adventure like Mario or something, where you get rewarded with an extra life for every hundred coins, the crafting should be the same, yeah, the gameplay is "perform task because it earns you x reward".

If the gameplay is like "survive off your own skill in a harsh environment" then crafting that's hands on can make sense because the focus is on "You" overcoming odds.

It seems in this case the issue is that the crafting game loop is out of sync with the overall theme.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Blue Raider posted:

id guess very easily. the wii was a piece of poo poo to enthusiasts, but it had a long tail with non gamers with a large living room

e. the wii was a word of mouth thing to the core

Also, the Wii was a bit if a surprise considering the PS3 hype that preceded its release by just a few days, I think. No one took the Wii seriously until after it had been out for a few days, people started freaking out about the motion controls, the PS3 couldn't maintain the popularity it had pre-launch, people were unhappy with the high price of the PS3 and started pushing the "Wii60" combo of "Just buy a Wii and a 360 for the same price as a single PS3", etc.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

!Klams posted:

Well.... I dunno. System shock 2 has you doing the hands on crafting, what's more your inventory is just at the top of the screen, you're still playing while crafting, and a mad zombie could ambush you any second.

It's horrible and messy and clunky and that's the point, it's terrifying and makes you feel like you're in over your head doing the chemistry / biology crafting.

Don't forget it also came out almost 20 years ago before people knew how to make UIs in 3D games

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Was minrcraft what started this stupid crafting craze or was it just riding the crest of the wave that was already there

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

LethalGeek posted:

Yeah you wanna talk about odd hardware choices the ps2 was... Whew a nightmare. Whomever designed that was insane.

If you all want something to mock there is not enough talk about the left joycon being busted for a lot of people. To the point that a recall won't surprise me. Mine all works though and got to play Zelda while out and about yesterday and that was awesome. I really like that I don't have to wait to get home to play something or have to look at a small screen when I do get home.

Ljl at jorting up to carry around your Japanese infant distracter

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Raise your hand if you broke your TV screen with a flying Wiimote.

*Does not raise hand*

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

So many little Switch bits are gonna get dropped and lost by kids.

It may actually be worth it to buy those dumb store warranties retail slaves are forced to push.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Trunko posted:

Was minrcraft what started this stupid crafting craze or was it just riding the crest of the wave that was already there

I think it was a combination of minecraft + every game being open world now so they try to steal as much as they can from RPGs

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

lol itoldyouso.jpg

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Well you see the towers take way longer to climb in Zelda cause the climbing is slow as gently caress so you are much more immersed and farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Professor SJW posted:

lol itoldyouso.jpg

You know it just means they had more units available at launch, right? You'd have to be insane to think this thing will come close to matching or surpassing the Wii.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
new zelda is fun as hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzHlS_ivgkU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I don't think anyone is saying anything about the towers other than "it is what it is." Then again I didn't read any reviews. I bet people are saying that poo poo. I mean, I appreciate the view they give me... but that's not new at all.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

enojy posted:

I don't think anyone is saying anything about the towers other than "it is what it is." Then again I didn't read any reviews. I bet people are saying that poo poo. I mean, I appreciate the view they give me... but that's not new at all.

My favorite part is when you leap off the towers and into a haystack.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The Brown Menace posted:

Ljl at jorting up to carry around your Japanese infant distracter

plainly posted from a cell phone, the irony

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

The towers are basically just a vantage point for you to mark cool poo poo on your map so you can go check it out later.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Carmant posted:

The towers are basically just a vantage point for you to mark cool poo poo on your map so you can go check it out later.

Oh boy what a whimsical adventure

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Honestly I think you may have some mental issues. Your posts in this thread is concerning :ohdear:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Carmant posted:

Revolutionary! There is even a map system?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

I'm sorry guys I'm going to have to close this thread.. I feel really bad for contributing to so many posters having complete mental breakdowns over Nintendo products and it's not funny anymore.. peace out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

you guys are weird lol

• Locked thread