Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

What is this game?
Sleeping Dogs is an open-world action game released in 2012 from United Front Games(RIP) and Square Enix. Many parts of it are standard for these kinds of games; you can race cars, beat up thugs, or stumble into a whole bunch of side stuff while exploring a sandbox world.

What really sets the game apart is the story and setting. You play as Wei Shen, an undercover cop trying to infiltrate the triad scene of Hong Kong. Wei constantly struggles to find a balance to please the bosses in both of his two lives. While Wei works his way higher in the criminal underworld, he must also do his part in detaining its key members, all under the constant threat of blowing his own cover.

Everything in the game has a distinct Hong Kong flavor to it, from the environments to the Cantonese-speaking NPCs. Gunfights are few and far between in this gun-controlled state; Wei instead gets by with his own kung fu skills. He can even visit his old dojo to learn sage advice from his old master. The game borrows a lot of concepts between other big games of its time, but still manages to make its own distinct feel.

Since its release, no one else has really tried to make a big game that is of a certain place like this. With United Front's office now permanently closed, we may never see a game quite like it again. It deserves to be shared, which is why I'm here.

The LP
I'll be playing the game with my friend Lauren, who's coming in completely blind to the experience. We'll be going through the definitive version, which came out in 2014. The newer version has up-ressed textures and runs at 1080p on modern consoles and PC. It also comes installed with all of the DLC missions, which we'll get to eventually. Updates will (hopefully) be going up weekly.

:siren: Spoilers :siren:
No discussing spoilers for anything we haven't gotten to. Any parts of the story we've covered in the LP are fair game.

Part 1: Extortion ... Uncut
Part 2: Theft ... Uncut

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love this game, but my biggest problem with it is that it makes me hecking hungry and I can't find a place that sells pork buns where I live. I've considered making my own but it might be past my skills.

(Also I feel like once you've shoved a man's face into a shredder like that you don't get to be a cop anymore but that seems to fall under more generalized problems with video game violence logic)

Anyway, :munch:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am looking forward to this because I am trying to finish 100%ing the game right now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

YggiDee posted:

(Also I feel like once you've shoved a man's face into a shredder like that you don't get to be a cop anymore but that seems to fall under more generalized problems with video game violence logic)

It's ok, that man's still alive! No one dies by Wei's hand until a certain point, but anyone who crosses him until then is probably begging for the sweet release of death!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ChaosArgate posted:

It's ok, that man's still alive! No one dies by Wei's hand until a certain point, but anyone who crosses him until then is probably begging for the sweet release of death!

The thing is, that point comes way earlier than you make it sound.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

YggiDee posted:

Also I feel like once you've shoved a man's face into a shredder like that you don't get to be a cop anymore but that seems to fall under more generalized problems with video game violence logic.

Yeah the gameplay violence still falls victim to the problem of being far in excess of what the cutscenes imply is actually going on, but at least the story is directly about how violent of a person Wei Shen is and what kind of an effect it has on him and the people around him. It's a heightened reality but it's true to the character and his story.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

If I keep saying "weekly updates" to myself enough times, I might actually pull it off.

:siren:Part 2: Theft ... Uncut :siren:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

You're making me want to play this game again. I stopped last time when I got all the DLC as a bundle and it gives you all the upgrades and a bunch if weapons and kind of ruined the game for me so I should try it again from the start with the cheat DLC turned off.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
You could also get the Definitive Edition which is being played here. It strips out the full-on cheat DLC and integrates the rest in a smart way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

You could also get the Definitive Edition which is being played here. It strips out the full-on cheat DLC and integrates the rest in a smart way.

Sure, I could spend $30 on a game I already own. I could also take that $30 and throw it in the garbage. I'm not likely to do either.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Washing your face in your apartment actually cleans up any blood you may have on you from being in fights! :eng101: Also, the audio balance is still kinda weird, your audio is a little quiet and Lauren's incredibly loud. You can absolutely take cars to a fist fight and it's real fun! You should try it!

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Sure, I could spend $30 on a game I already own. I could also take that $30 and throw it in the garbage. I'm not likely to do either.

Or you could get an improved version of an already good game and support the devel...oh.

Anyways, sorry for suggesting something that I did myself, was happy to have done, and forgot the price since then? There were probably discounts involved, plus United Front Games still being around at the time.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Washing your face in your apartment actually cleans up any blood you may have on you from being in fights! :eng101: Also, the audio balance is still kinda weird, your audio is a little quiet and Lauren's incredibly loud. You can absolutely take cars to a fist fight and it's real fun! You should try it!

Maybe I'll have this all figured out in, like, 6 months....

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

:siren:Part 3: Trespassing ... Uncut :siren:

I'll be going on vacation tomrrow, so it might be a longer wait before I get to posting the next update.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TheLoser posted:

:siren:Part 3: Trespassing ... Uncut :siren:

I'll be going on vacation tomrrow, so it might be a longer wait before I get to posting the next update.
The only way to do the scene at 32:50 is while wearing the DLC police uniform.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It is a shame that the devs went under a few months ago, because this game is just one of those rare "The little train that could" stories.

Basically, Sleeping Dogs started as an entry in the True Crime series of games, but after a few months of hype it was cancelled. Square Enix notices the game and snaps it up, changing some names to avoid lawsuits. And we got one of the best open world games of the 7th generation on it- what can be both a really goofy game, mixed with a surprisingly emotional crime drama, albiet one where every single cliche is done.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
So, I'm not sure if you know about this or not, but I'm pretty sure this isn't a spoiler as it's more of a collection/money sink thingy with no baring on the story.

You can actually make your apartment slightly less poo poo-tastic by buying various things at the night market. Somewhat pricey, and no real apparent effect, but at the very least it'll look pretty, for a run down apartment.

The things you can buy are as follow, along with their prices (thanks wiki!):

Pet Bird (HKD $1200) (Comes with free bird cage)
Air Conditioner (HKD $4620) (Now with 50% less irritating humming as it strives in vain to keep you cool)
Massive Sound System (HKD $9550) (Listen to a whopping one station in stereo!)
Brand New Bed (HKD $5000) (Only slightly used!)

Though, one could argue that such money would be better spent on clothes and/or cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I love this game, but my biggest problem with it is that it makes me hecking hungry and I can't find a place that sells pork buns where I live. I've considered making my own but it might be past my skills.

Anyway, :munch:

Closes the thing I've had to pork buns are meat dumplings at my local Chinese buffet. The meat is moist, but the outside is dry due to being under heat lamps.

• Locked thread