Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Goon Danton posted:

Are they related to the white nationalists building compounds in those states?

Try watching the documentary I cited and answer the question yourself, while having a great time doing it!

Bates posted:

It would be terrible. We just wouldn't go extinct.

A distinction without a meaningful difference, for the average human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Bates posted:

It would be terrible. We just wouldn't go extinct.

I've noticed that doomsday scenarios always seem to ignore that people live outside of North America, Europe, and maybe Asia.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Time-lapse of all the nuclear explosions since 1945 some might find interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

C.M. Kruger posted:

I've noticed that doomsday scenarios always seem to ignore that people live outside of North America, Europe, and maybe Asia.

It's because those people don't matter.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Goon Danton posted:

Are they related to the white nationalists building compounds in those states?
Link to what he was talking about - if you take 30 seconds listening to him talk to that white lady "she likes to think of herself as empathetic" you've probably seen plenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShFz7oHlms

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

I've always wondered what the New Zealand or South African government planned to do in the event of a nuclear war.

Also while those studies about nuclear winter are rightly alarming, the truth is there's a huge amount of uncertainty in estimates of climate forcing from nuclear war. The 2007 study doesn't even try to estimate how much material would be transported into the atmosphere, and just makes up two vaguely plausible numbers. If material can't get into the upper atmosphere you might just get several months of localized cooling.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

coyo7e posted:

Link to what he was talking about - if you take 30 seconds listening to him talk to that white lady "she likes to think of herself as empathetic" you've probably seen plenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShFz7oHlms
Okay I got about 30-35 minutes in and this woman with the power-tween white power band is an amazing interview - she vacillates between justifying her twin 11-year olds indoctrination as "well when they get a little older - it'll - there'll - it'll be a big deal for a lot of young white girls to look up to the as role models" and "I mean think of it, twin blond sixteen year-old girls singing about white power - what isn't there for a man not to love about that?"

What do you do for education?
"We home school!"
Where's the man of the house?
"He uhh, he didn't want to be on camera, he's worried about losing his job."
Really? What's he do?
"Oh - he's an educator."

:psypop:

mom "We don't like the nintendo or the sony and all that kinda thing.."
little girls: "But we do like to play Ethnic Cleansing!"

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 28, 2017

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Rime posted:

We effectively had a full-scale nuclear war through the 60's and 70's, with hundreds of devices being surface and air tested.

Approximately 500 atmospheric nuclear tests were carried out between 1945 and the test ban in 1963, which equates to one explosion per fortnight, or 3% of the current world stockpile. Not what I'd call "full-scale nuclear war".

The Ender posted:

Nuclear war = GG, thx for playing. Nuclear winter or not.
I mean, every single major city in the first & second world will be struck by an MIRV. The total amount of radioactive material salting the Earth from the exchanges, the collapse of infrastructure & vital services, the survivors having to deal with the fact that probably most of their friends & family were roasted in the burning cities...
We'd go extinct. Most surviving people would probably break and commit suicide; those that tried to eke out an existence would be killed in the first early winter that there is no realistic defense against or when accidentally stumbling into an area saturated with radiation that they couldn't detect.

This is extremely far from reality - there are just too many false or fanciful things that I'm not even going to bother correcting them individually.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

C.M. Kruger posted:

I mean, most of Africa's probably hosed in the event of a full nuclear exchange; radioactive dust clouds & fallout are going to migrate from Russia. But yes, fair point; a lot of South Africa is probably fine, and Southeast Asia would probably be mostly untouched.

I don't live there, though, so that's kind of cold comfort. :|

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

The Ender posted:

I don't live there, though, so that's kind of cold comfort. :|

Humanity might survive and we'd shed most of our white people. That's comforting af.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was gonna say cutting both the desirable geography and population of the earth down massively might help out the people left.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Placid Marmot posted:

Approximately 500 atmospheric nuclear tests were carried out between 1945 and the test ban in 1963, which equates to one explosion per fortnight, or 3% of the current world stockpile. Not what I'd call "full-scale nuclear war".

This is extremely far from reality - there are just too many false or fanciful things that I'm not even going to bother correcting them individually.
Ahh yes, the good old "I do not understand physics - so I conflate X with Y and then claim "free energy!" argument."

Come back when you can show an actual car powered on cold fusion - or hell, when you remember that there's a negative sign in the middle of that electrical field vs magnetic field equation which means you don't ever get a free lunch.

Or you know I can go ground-ball simplistic and ask "okay how many nuclear tests were carried on land in that same period"? And then ask how atmospheric and underwater don't mean the same thing as applied nuclear weaponry used on ground-based targets - or are there a whole pile of orbital and undersea military bases which will get nuked to the exclusion of population centers? Also - 500 is really a low number of tests on unrelated areas when we've got thousands and thousands of warheads on what is it, 3 -minute response window?

I mean even if you're totally 100% right about nuclear fallout from weaponry only lasting a few months and then blowing away into the wind (you do realize that solar winds don't count - right?) please tell me why you'd want to live within a hundred miles of *any* military or governmental infrastructure location.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Ahh yes, the good old "I do not understand physics - so I conflate X with Y and then claim "free energy!" argument."

Come back when you can show an actual car powered on cold fusion - or hell, when you remember that there's a negative sign in the middle of that electrical field vs magnetic field equation which means you don't ever get a free lunch.

Or you know I can go ground-ball simplistic and ask "okay how many nuclear tests were carried on land in that same period"? And then ask how atmospheric and underwater don't mean the same thing as applied nuclear weaponry used on ground-based targets - or are there a whole pile of orbital and undersea military bases which will get nuked to the exclusion of population centers? Also - 500 is really a low number of tests on unrelated areas when we've got thousands and thousands of warheads on what is it, 3 -minute response window?

I mean even if you're totally 100% right about nuclear fallout from weaponry only lasting a few months and then blowing away into the wind (you do realize that solar winds don't count - right?) please tell me why you'd want to live within a hundred miles of *any* military or governmental infrastructure location.

Did you quote me by accident, or are you being facetious? I said nothing about "nuclear fallout from weaponry only lasting a few months and then blowing away into the wind". My comment was exclusively about the false claim that "we effectively had a full-scale nuclear war through the 60's and 70's", and the misconceptions of The Ender.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

apocalypse fantasy is always so weird. It is always a wish about "going back" to some historical time period the author decided is good. Like no one ever has radios or anything unless they find some weird world war II nautical radio even if it's like a month after civilization collapsed.

Someone write a sci-fi story about a post apocalyptic farming village that has a bunch of ipads and solar charging docks.

It's also so prevalent it gets boring fast. Are there stories where the apocalypse is caused by out-of-control technology, but in a twist only a bunch of intelligent machines survive? I would read/watch "Mad Max: AI"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Libluini posted:

It's also so prevalent it gets boring fast. Are there stories where the apocalypse is caused by out-of-control technology, but in a twist only a bunch of intelligent machines survive? I would read/watch "Mad Max: AI"

This basically turns out to be the plot of The Talos Principle, although it takes some digging to figure it out and it's a mild spoiler to say so.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Libluini posted:

There Will Be Soft Rains is kinda like that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Libluini posted:

Disney/Pixar's Cars franchise is exactly what you're looking for

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Libluini posted:

Welp, this is the plot of a recent piece of media that came out in the last month that I won't spoil because it's a twist. I guess watch every tv show, movie and videogame from the last 30 days to find out which I mean?

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Is the primitive technology guy on youtube ideologically incorrect

e: what about the guy who lives on a ranch and makes homemade explosive charges to run his own mine

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The Primitive Technology guy seems like he's just a curious hobbyist. His blog doesn't show any sign of the political stances or worries about impending disaster you'd expect from a prepper.

https://primitivetechnology.wordpress.com/about/ posted:

Primitive technology is a hobby where you make things in the wild completely from scratch using no modern tools or materials. This is the strict rule. If you want a fire- use fire sticks, an axe- pick up a stone and shape it, a hut- build one from trees, mud, rocks etc. The challenge is seeing how far you can go without modern technology. If this hobby interests you then this blog might be what you are looking for.

Also It should be noted that I don’t live in the wild but just practice this as a hobby. I live in a modern house and eat modern food. I just like to see how people in ancient times built and made things. It is a good hobby that keeps you fit and doesn’t cost anything apart from time and effort.

I haven't heard of the guy running his own mine though. Got a link?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know if Primitive Technology man has an ideology except for being ripped and building neat stuff.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
He's ideologically correct then :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
I fully expect to die early in the aftermath of the apocalypse. If I were to hoard anything it would be drugs; might as well make my inevitable death a fun one.

• Locked thread