Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

OzyMandrill posted:

I have a natural gas geyser badly sealed with hydrogen and pox in the room, and it behaves like infinite storage and doesn't overpressure. Might be able to do similar if you can get hydrogen, oxygen, p.ox maybe?
My guess is that works because the polluted oxygen is below the natural gas and sitting on the base where the vent hole is, so it can always find a tile to vent to (and then promptly sink away).

Since vents look for a 3x3 square to vent to, and one of those always has polluted oxygen <5k, I guess it works.

In this setup though I'd have to avoid having the polluted oxygen sink to the steam chamber, so I'd need to trap it with a tile or two. Then the steam would go up, right, down, and right again. I'll give it a try maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

In other ridiculously overengineered news:

6.3kW of sweet sweet magma power. A conveyor rail loops diamond through the magma, then into a bath of molten lead (about 3 tons per tile). Diamond tempshift plates below the doors (open in the screenshot) transfer heat up to the plates in the steam room. The doors are set to trigger at 196C, which opens the doors and the residual heat in the metal tiles continues to heat the steam to about 201 when the turbines are off. Turbines come on if the steam is 195C and the power network needs power; I've got the smart batteries set up so this setup comes on first, then a petroleum/nat gas setup, and then backup coal comes online as last resort.

In the bottom right is a minor volcano so even when I exhaust the generated magma I can still get more power out of this build. And there's an aluminum volcano up and to the right a bit which I can extract a bit more heat from later. In the short term I plan on digging to the right a bit in the magma room so that the last tile is small enough to turn into debris instead of a tile when it freezes, and reroute the conveyor rail so that's the first tile the cold (still 800C) diamond hits, and set up a sweeper to send the debris into the steam room to extract as much energy as possible out of it.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Xerol posted:

In the short term I plan on digging to the right a bit in the magma room so that the last tile is small enough to turn into debris instead of a tile when it freezes, and reroute the conveyor rail so that's the first tile the cold (still 800C) diamond hits, and set up a sweeper to send the debris into the steam room to extract as much energy as possible out of it.
Aren't liquids extremely good at conducting heat with eachother? Won't the magma all freeze at about the same time?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

This is why the plan involves only running through one tile of the smallest amount. Magma is very viscous so regardless of conductivity it doesn't move very fast, meaning once I clear out a few tiles I can just drip controlled amounts of magma down and only be dealing with one ~150kg blob of it at a time. And turn it all into debris instead of tiles that I'd lose half the mass (and heat) digging out.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Xerol posted:

This is why the plan involves only running through one tile of the smallest amount. Magma is very viscous so regardless of conductivity it doesn't move very fast, meaning once I clear out a few tiles I can just drip controlled amounts of magma down and only be dealing with one ~150kg blob of it at a time. And turn it all into debris instead of tiles that I'd lose half the mass (and heat) digging out.
How do you do the dripping?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I use steel doors on timers and a 10 tile long floor to limit the flow.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah the plan was to just have the lava run 10 tiles from the last full tile and fall off the edge. I am going to have to sacrifice a few tiles of magma just to clear out enough space but it'll eventually get there.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

If you care about conserving magma why not dig out the volcano sooner?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Shhhhh just let them freeze their core by tapping it for power, the lesson really stuck for me the one time I did that.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I need to drain about 15 layers of magma to make room for the petroleum boiler I'm eventually going to be using as a more permanent power solution and to get down below the level where I can let the volcano drip instead of having it in a pit. That magma on the left is a weird spike that rises up nearly to the top of the oil biome and it's really just been in the way of everything I want to do on the bottom of the map.

Successfully got the drip set up to drain the spike, most of the magma is down around 1500C so there's still plenty of energy in it, and it's turning into ~1300C debris at the end of the drip (I think it combined with some cooler debris left over from replacing tiles) which is then loaded onto conveyor rails and run through the steam room until it's <200C. I still have the lead bath running (that's what's actually draining the heat from the magma to cool it into igneous rock) but the steam room only needs to tap it once every 2-3 cycles, and it's going to be self-regulating (if I run out of debris, then the doors will close more frequently and drain heat from the lead bath, meaning the diamond can then drain more heat from the magma creating more debris). Judging by the rate I'm creating and shipping out debris it's going to take about 100 cycles to drain the spike to the point where it can't drip anymore and another 50 or so to drain the rest (plan is to push it over with tiles).

Then I can finally start using the volcano. I did open it up and it's a minor volcano with an average output of only 450g/s, barely ever erupts and is dormant more often than not. This will only run about 10-20% of the steam room in the long term, but might be enough to run the petroleum boiler especially if I double it up with the aluminum volcano. The aluminum volcano is going to help with the current power production, I completely opened that up into the steam room only to discover the pressure was a lot higher than I had planned for, so I'm spending the next 20 cycles or so draining off a couple turbines' water output to get the pressure down enough that it can erupt. Not sure I can get it done before it goes dormant next.

Also the cooled igneous rock coming out is still at 199C so I'm dropping it in a water pool that's cooled by the same aquatuner that cools the turbines. It's keeping up so far but might have issues in the long term so I'm probably going to add a second aquatuner soon.

It's cycle 650 and I still haven't dug up to space yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Don't bother with a second, just plan to swap the coolant for super-coolant and make that a priority when you get to space. I think it's about 4x as effective through an aquatuner than water.