Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Problem description: I'm having frequent lockups in windows 10 and I cannot determine that it's connected to any one particular task or event.

It seems to start with the file explorer freezing up (but other applications will continue to run for a bit longer before they will not respond any longer). Ctr-alt-delete does not work and I cannot bring up the task manager.

Attempted fixes: tried windows defender full scan and MRT full scan (froze up), ran disk error check on each drive (none found), checked event logs and didn't see anything other than these events:

quote:

The Connected Devices Platform Service service terminated with the following error:
Unspecified error

quote:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
and APPID
{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Recent changes: Installed H&R Block software, updated SANZBD, updated Sonarr.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro, 64bit

System specs:
Intel Core i5-6500 6MB Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500
MSI Z170A SLI LGA 1151 Intel Z170 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400
MSI Computer GTX 1060 ARMOR 3GB OCV1
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
HGST HDN724030ALE640 3TB hdd

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Edit: i just lost my loving savegame in dark souls 2 to this loving bullshit

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

What's kind of PSU do you have and how old is it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
EVGA supernova GS 550W modular power supply

CDI returns a 99% health on my SSD and "good" on my HGST.

I'll try running memtest for 12-16 hours

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 1, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If Memtest passes with no errors then I'd make sure you're on the latest BIOS:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-SLI.html#down-bios

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Memtest86 passed 6 passes, I updated the BIOS and still getting these crashes...maybe its my ssd? even though it passes tests ok?

probably should try reinstalling windows before i throw any more money at it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Memtest86 passed 6 passes, I updated the BIOS and still getting these crashes...maybe its my ssd? even though it passes tests ok?

probably should try reinstalling windows before i throw any more money at it.

I would bet HDD before SSD. You could try temporarily unplugging the HDD and see if these issues continue.

Another option is temporarily using onboard video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well i disconnected my HDD for a few days, freezes went away and after re-plugging it back in they have not come back at all?

thanks for your help

• Locked thread