Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I don’t know the source for the Ferrari bit, but I saw this elsewhere:

https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/media_center/fca_press_release/FiatDocuments/2018/july/FCA_Announcement.pdf

https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/media_center/fca_press_release/FiatDocuments/2018/july/Statement_by_John_Elkann.pdf

Mike Manley
as CEO

Manley, born in Edenbridge, England, has been part of the Group Executive Council, FCA's governing body, since 2011.

He joined DaimlerChrysler in 2000 as director of network development at DaimlerChrysler UK. He held different international positions at DaimlerChrysler and then Chrysler before being appointed president and CEO of Jeep at post-bankruptcy Chrysler Group in June 2009

Ferrari:
The Board has named John Elkann as Chairman and will propose to Shareholders, at a meeting to be called in the coming days, that Louis C. Camilleri be named as CEO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
RIP serge :italy:

to his credit he almost certainly saved FIAT and Chrysler both, which is fairly impressive

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s been three months now with my Fiata. I’ve had an opportunity to loan it for a review and photoshoot in the Moselle valley, not far from the Nurburgring. I think the photos are smashing, and there’s also a video/audio of the exhaust.

http://miatasm.com/wloska-robota-krotki-romans-z-fiat-abarth-124-spider/

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mokotow posted:

It’s been three months now with my Fiata. I’ve had an opportunity to loan it for a review and photoshoot in the Moselle valley, not far from the Nurburgring. I think the photos are smashing, and there’s also a video/audio of the exhaust.

http://miatasm.com/wloska-robota-krotki-romans-z-fiat-abarth-124-spider/

:eyepop:

What a beautiful car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I enjoy every time an article gets posted when they lead with an AS 124 Sport Spider and you're reminded what a truly attractive car design looks like.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

The classic is amazing, but to be fair, the new one is pretty sweet for a modern car

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Grakkus posted:

The classic is amazing, but to be fair, the new one is pretty sweet for a modern car

It's not terrible but it just doesn't quite resolve. The headlights in particular look poo poo. There was a good interview with Tjaarda before he died where he complained and said it looks like a committee designed it. There are good elements but you don't get the sense of "this is one man's vision for a car" that you do on really good designs. I think he's right, and I don't think there's been a really good car design in a while, in part due to limitations of regulations but also due to the fact that no company is willing to take a risk with design.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's not terrible but it just doesn't quite resolve. The headlights in particular look poo poo. There was a good interview with Tjaarda before he died where he complained and said it looks like a committee designed it. There are good elements but you don't get the sense of "this is one man's vision for a car" that you do on really good designs. I think he's right, and I don't think there's been a really good car design in a while, in part due to limitations of regulations but also due to the fact that no company is willing to take a risk with design.

It's the sheer acreage of cheap looking plastics on the front that truly kill it for me, it's supposed to be more expensive than the MX-5 yet the MX-5 looks like it costs more and is a far more coherent design from front to back. I say this as someone who hated the MX-5 initially. The 124 in general looks really 'Americanised' to my European eyes, I grew up looking at cars like the original and the 124 just looks like as you say, a committee approximation of it.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
A few pictures from an Alfa track day on last Sunday:

This is a ~100 mph corner:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The MiTo followed by the 1300? berlinetta (I'm no good at Alfas) is a hilarious contrast. You can see the corporate resemblance in a good and bad way.
Great pictures!

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
That is a (originally) 1300 Giulia. Further exhibit concerning the corporate resemblance:

The 156 era was also underrepresented in the previous set by the fast but not very pretty silver 156. It has a supercharged 3.0 engine. The black 75 is a turbo TS with ~ 360 whp. Those were the fastest cars of the day.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The MiTo followed by the 1300? berlinetta (I'm no good at Alfas) is a hilarious contrast. You can see the corporate resemblance in a good and bad way.
Great pictures!

Even is the designs (like all other brands) have changed and Alfa Romeo has in some way gotten "contaminated" by GM and FCA, every single one still has that Alfa soul. I own a MiTo and while it's not the highest quality interior, the most reliable car, and based of a Grande Punto, it's still very fun to drive, looks great (especially from the back) and really stands out in a sea of grey boring hatchbacks. It makes people smile and kids love it.

I really need a 159 in my life though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the 159 looks great but the new noses look odd to me on the Giulietta and the MiTo. I don't think the Giulia looks like an Alfa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fantastic cars, beautiful pictures. :eyepop:

Thanks for posting them.

That red Mito is hilarious. Looks like it's straight off a cel for Cars

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 12, 2018

• Locked thread