Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I've seen many aspects of the military's medical system's many failings posted throughout the years in a ton of different threads but why not just consolidate our horror stories in one thread. gently caress it post whatever, hilarious Yelp reviews, things your seen your buddies go through or your personal experience on either side of giving or receiving care. I know we have Dr's, corpsman, medics, and many of other who have received "care" so let it all out.

My starting contribution to this thread : 06 "Master nurse clinician"

Post whatever I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Army physical therapy is the worst thing on the loving planet. Most medics that end up as physical therapy techs don't have a loving clue of what they're doing. They're usually line medics that get rotated into the clinic with almost zero supplemental training. Everything related to their job they seem to learn as they do it. You can ask four of them how to do an exercise and you'll get four different answers and three of them will have consulted the book for how to do the exercise. Over my several months of physical therapy while in the army at two different posts I met exactly one medic who actually did training specific to physical therapy, and I would still prefer the civilian contractor. If you have to go to physical therapy while you're in the army you are hosed.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Fun Fact:

I was told by an Army doc that their purpose wasn't to "fix" us. Its to make us "good enough" to keep working. Who cares about quality of life, pain, etc.?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ASAPI posted:

Fun Fact:

I was told by an Army doc that their purpose wasn't to "fix" us. Its to make us "good enough" to keep working. Who cares about quality of life, pain, etc.?

p. much, my job was plugging holes and driving to the aid station

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

ASAPI posted:

Fun Fact:

By virtue of that, their job is just to get you out of sick call / get you to stop complaining.

Maybe if the VA got to bill the DoD directly, this could change? The VA would hire decent workers and the DoD would treat its property a little more delicately?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I broke my middle finger at the joint, in a training accident, two days before a hurricane was scheduled to hit my base. I was seen at the base hospital, in the middle of the night. The ER doc splinted my finger, and told me to come back after the hurricane.

No, I couldn't get a referral off-base to a hospital that was still open. Those are taxpayer dollars, and we had a hospital on base. That's crazy talk.

Ten days later, the base hospital reopened, and I needed surgery to re-break my finger, then put pins in because it had been so long since the initial break. I was in tech school at the time. If I missed more than 8 hours of class within a two-week period, I'd be washed back to another class. So, instead of being sedated for the surgery, I got a local painkiller. That way I wouldn't miss class.

The orthopedic doc said I'd never be able to bend my finger again, or use it for much of anything at all. They were wrong, and I demonstrated this by making a fist, then flipping him off on my last day before I left the base.

gently caress Air Force medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've told the story before, I think. I had a knee injury misdiagnosed by Army docs _"L knee sprain, R ankle sprain" 3 day dead man profile and crutches (funniest part "Which should I walk on, the bum knee or the ankle?" "Whichever hurts less.")Sent back, "severe sprain" 2 weeks no run/ruck/walk at own pace. After that, gently caress off. Back to running 2-5 miles a day. Did another tour a month later.

Actual diagnosis, from real doctors? Torn ACL, crushed cartilage, torn PCL. In the ankle- crushed cartilage and strained tendons that took over a year to heal right.

E-Bonus fun! My buddy's prelim TB test came back as possible exposure/infection. "Quarantined" in his barracks room.
Barracks had communal bathroom, and he still was required to go to the chow hall for food because his squad leader said, "I can't have Joe's bringing you back food. I don't want to risk exposing them".

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 1, 2017

• Locked thread