Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Do businesses only pay taxes on profits. I mean if they were making money and funneled that money into expansion/growing the business wouldn't that reduce their taxable income rather than that being taxed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

hooman posted:

Do businesses only pay taxes on profits. I mean if they were making money and funneled that money into expansion/growing the business wouldn't that reduce their taxable income rather than that being taxed?

Businesses don't pay tax on anything; they use offshore holding companies then complain they get taxed too much because they're a bunch of thieving sooks.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hooman posted:

No, there are a bunch of different taxes like payroll tax, gst, payg and others.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Greedy fucks laughing their arses off while taking savings out of the hides of people who can't afford to buy the goods

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

NPR Journalizard posted:

No, there are a bunch of different taxes like payroll tax, gst, payg and others.
GST and PAYG are taxes the business collects for the government, not taxes the business pays itself.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Don Dongington posted:

No I think that's generally it. She's concerned about Sharia law because to the simple and uneducated and with the way that opponents of Islamic immigration frame it, it's concerning. Those of us with a basic understanding of How Australia's Legal System Works and who bother to look a little deeper at an issue than the front page of whatever rag Murdoch vomits onto the Tasmanian landscape once a week know better, but that's clearly not how she rolls.

Beyond that, she's mostly working on a platform that shows concern for issues that affect normal people - much like left wing representatives try to do. Lo and behold, most of those issues affect the "latte sipping" segments of the population the same way they affect suburban mums and dads (Who knew!), so despite her cognitive biases she's going to find she has far more in common with the Greens than One Nation.

She can't SAY that though, because aforementioned news outlets would tear her apart and call her a fascist.

I want to sit down with her and a copy of the Koran and explain that we won't have sharia law without the caliphate which, despite what ISIS claims, doesn't currently exist and is unlikely to exist in the future.

I like to imagine this would be the first step in a series of epiphanies that lead Jacqui to joining the Greens, the Greens storming into government and ushering in a glorious new epoch in Tasmanian history.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

hooman posted:

The answer to this is "it depends" which usually translates to companies managing their business to avoid paying taxes. Retained profits can be reinvested back into the business to increase its capital worth, and would be taxed. But there are numerous ways to get around this (or even do the reverse and carry losses forwards to be offset by revenue in future years).

The other big deal about these cuts is that it will mostly benefit foreign investors, as Australian investors have access to dividend imputation, that is if the company has paid tax on the profits the dividends are 'franked' and you don't have to pay personal income tax on the receipts (in effect they are adjusted to ensure you don't pay more or less than your marginal tax rate). This gives another out for avoiding tax. Pretty much no other country allows this and many will have lower corporate tax rates but they effectively (supposedly) get paid twice, once by the company and once by the individual.

Other countries also charge the equivalent of the Medicare levy on employers rather than citizens, or charge company income tax at both the federal and state level so the point is you can't compare like for like in regards to national company tax rates, the differences in systems makes it difficult. None of this nuance is ever discussed in the media or by the Government, of course, it's just whatever single points of information support whatever argument they want to make.

Edit: basically our tax system is horrible and over complex. It isn't collecting enough and there are a gazillion loopholes. It means public discourse is nearly impossible because only accountants who advise big firms on tax minimization/avoidance/evasion actually understand it, and they always lobby to make it more complex.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 31, 2017

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Blamestorm posted:

The answer to this is "it depends" which usually translates to companies managing their business to avoid paying taxes. Retained profits can be reinvested back into the business to increase its capital worth, and would be taxed. But there are numerous ways to get around this (or even do the reverse and carry losses forwards to be offset by revenue in future years).

The other big deal about these cuts is that it will mostly benefit foreign investors, as Australian investors have access to dividend imputation, that is if the company has paid tax on the profits the dividends are 'franked' and you don't have to pay personal income tax on the receipts (in effect they are adjusted to ensure you don't pay more or less than your marginal tax rate). This gives another out for avoiding tax. Pretty much no other country allows this and many will have lower corporate tax rates but they effectively (supposedly) get paid twice, once by the company and once by the individual.

Other countries also charge the equivalent of the Medicare levy on employers rather than citizens, or charge company income tax at both the federal and state level so the point is you can't compare like for like in regards to national company tax rates, the differences in systems makes it difficult. None of this nuance is ever discussed in the media or by the Government, of course, it's just whatever single points of information support whatever argument they want to make.

Edit: basically our tax system is horrible and over complex. It isn't collecting enough and there are a gazillion loopholes. It means public discourse is nearly impossible because only accountants who advise big firms on tax minimization/avoidance/evasion actually understand it, and they always lobby to make it more complex.

Thanks, business and taxation is one of those areas I know very little about.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/847685346863202307

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

:xd: :xd: :xd:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There is no loving ironicat big enough.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The whole Abbott interview, http://www.2gb.com/podcast/tony-abbott-5/

With absolutely no sniping.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

You can get a loaf of bread for $0.85 at Coles :colbert:

But that's not preservative free sourdough in an elaborate pattern purchased from a gentleman wearing a fancy vest and a monocle.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like nice bread.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
ugh

too many carbs

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Bogan King posted:

Businesses don't pay tax on anything; they use offshore holding companies then complain they get taxed too much because they're a bunch of thieving sooks.
Not an empty quote

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i think i'm at the point where i'm unironically a stalinist and think the red terror was good, please help

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I've been thinking of various business assholes as Kulaks for a bit now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

How is this real? Is this real?

I mean, I've been spending so much time in the Trump horror thread that I can't tell anymore.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.gwb.com.au/onenation/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

One Nation MP’s disdain for ‘slimy’ state leader

The policy dissent and personality clashes that rocked One Nation’s election campaign in Western Australia have been laid bare in a series of blistering emails, including a winning ­candidate’s “disdain” for his “slimy, lying” state leader, Colin ­Tincknell.

Amid the fallout from One Nation’s worse-than-expected result at last month’s election, the leaked emails also reveal bitter, expletive-laden exchanges between candidates and Pauline Hanson’s Brisbane-based chief of staff James Ashby, who ­demanded tight control over the WA campaign.

“You couldn’t fart without getting permission from James Ashby,” said candidate Sandy Baraiolo, who was dumped for refusing to cede control of her Facebook account. An irate Baraiolo is threatening legal action against the party if it does not reimburse her the $4000 she spent on her campaign. “I will become Pauline Hanson’s worst nightmare if she doesn’t give my money back,” she said.

The Weekend Australian spoke to a number of former candidates who were highly critical of the way One Nation ran its WA campaign and said this should serve as a warning for ­potential candidates in the upcoming Queensland election.

Others, however, said the campaign was professionally run given the two-month timeframe between registration of the party in WA and the March 11 election, with some blaming the political naivete of their fellow candidates.

The party polled 8.5 per cent of the vote in the 35 lower house seats it contested, but had expected a stronger result. At the 2001 state election, One Nation won 9.6 per cent of the vote. It can be revealed one of the party’s three successful candidates is among the disgruntled candidates who have been privately scathing of One Nation’s campaign and the role played by Tincknell, Hanson’s pick as WA leader.

Robin Scott, an electrical contractor who won a seat in the Mining and Pastoral upper house region, will sit alongside Tincknell when parliament ­resumes next month. One week after the election, when it was unclear whether Scott would win his seat, he wrote an email to a former One Nation candidate about Tincknell’s support for a preference deal with the WA Liberal Party. The arrangement was unpopular among One Nation voters and many candidates, some of whom refused to distribute the party’s how-to-vote cards.

“Until Colin Ticknell (sic) came on the seen (sic) the party was a happy and cohesive bunch of people who only wanted to improve the lives of ordinary West Australians,” Scott wrote to outspoken former One Nation candidate Margaret Dodd on March 18, in an email that raises questions about his ability to work with Tincknell.

“We had the election in the bag and all of a sudden we were getting into bed with the Liberals and my phone rang hot for two days and I was left to explain WHY. I still have a chance of being elected, however I will have to sit next to our slimy lying leader in the chamber and I am concerned that I may not be able to hide my disdain for the man.

“Once again Pauline Hanson has been played like a fiddle by someone who’s (sic) only interest was electing himself, he surrounded himself with like-­minded people who took the bait and have paid the price, I myself kept a low profile and escaped the chopping block.

“If I should be lucky enough, rest assured I will remind him of the people he chewed up and spat out to feather his own nest.”

When contacted this week, Scott said he had since spoken to Tincknell and “straightened out our differences”. He said Ashby had also assured him that Tincknell was not responsible for the Liberal deal and that it had been negotiated at a federal level.

Tincknell said Scott had made the comments in the email because he had been “poisoned” by Ron McLean and Marye Daniels, who previously ran the party in WA. He only had “one side of the story” in relation to the preference deal. Tincknell said he believed Scott would make an excellent MP.

The leaked emails also show Ashby was engaged in a war of words with several candidates during and after the campaign. A disendorsed candidate, Dane Sorensen, wrote to Ashby and other candidates on March 17 to complain about a “shambolic and stupidly conducted amateur attempt of a campaign”. Ashby fired back: “Wow, you’ve surprised me with such eloquent words Dane, unlike the multiple foul-mouthed calls ... Don’t ever contact me again you self-righteous, deranged man.”

Former One Nation hopeful Anthony Fels, a former state Liberal MP, said he fell out with Hanson after he made remarks to her about Ashby’s involvement in making copies of former federal Speaker Peter Slipper’s diary.

He claimed Ashby had ­ordered security guards to ­remove him from a One Nation event at a hotel in Perth last month. “Everything was going beautifully in WA until James Ashby turned up,” Fels said.

Ashby said yesterday Fels was a “terrible person”. He said only a handful of One Nation’s 51 candidates had ­proven troublesome. “Some of these people were not suitable to be candidates,” he said.

Ashby admitted that One ­Nation should not have struck the preference deal with the Liberals. “Would we do it again? No,” he said.

An unsuccessful upper house candidate, Indian-born small business owner Chris Fernandez, said he was happy with the campaign even though he had been promised the No 1 spot in his upper house region but was put at No 2 on the ballot paper. “I didn’t throw a fit — you have to be a team player,” he said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...1755-1490969742

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just to clarify, if what you are saying is factually correct you are protected by 18d right?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zenithe posted:

Just to clarify, if what you are saying is factually correct you are protected by 18d right?

No. If what you are saying can be justified as being a belief you hold it is protected. It's really broad and basically says do whatever you like as long as you aren't just trying to gently caress with people. Like if you are a Christian and you truly hold that Muslims are evil baby rapers that is ok.

e: I work with journalists union from time to time and they don't feel like editorial content is threatened by 18c, but they acknowledge that doing blatant rabble rousing might land you in poo poo.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Police are laying additional criminal charges into Kathy Jackson.

Good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

No. If what you are saying can be justified as being a belief you hold it is protected. It's really broad and basically says do whatever you like as long as you aren't just trying to gently caress with people. Like if you are a Christian and you truly hold that Muslims are evil baby rapers that is ok.

e: I work with journalists union from time to time and they don't feel like editorial content is threatened by 18c, but they acknowledge that doing blatant rabble rousing might land you in poo poo.

For specific examples relating to 18D: Bill Leak would have been fine under 18D and the only reason the case didn't die earlier was because he didn't invoke it, and Bolt lost his case because his pieces " contained erroneous facts, distortions of the truth and inflammatory and provocative language" (he lied, and he'd have lost a defamation case too).

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 1, 2017

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hey, somebody start a new thread and I'll close this one.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/mumbrella/status/847985680282038272

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

At last our evil lefty plan has succeeded. Now to destroy the Bolt Report!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

"Good" - The Hon Anthony Albanese MP

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ewe2 posted:

At last our evil lefty plan has succeeded. Now to destroy the Bolt Report!

Sure okay, good luck getting Andrew Bolt to make indefensibly bigoted comments about anyone

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-01/abbott-announces-leadership-challenge/8404860

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

We're all gay schoolkids in April so come frolic with me

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Does anyone know specifically why QLD Labor is so desperately in bed with Adani? Like there's hundreds of reasons for them not to be but they still insist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Anidav posted:

Does anyone know specifically why QLD Labor is so desperately in bed with Adani? Like there's hundreds of reasons for them not to be but they still insist.

I'm not sure but it seems like a good thing to post in the April thread rather than the March thread. Seeing as it is April and all. I even made handy link for you.

• Locked thread