Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Problem description: My attempts to install Quicken 2017 all fail with "CheckHealthOfDotNetFramework(): '.INI' File not found".

Attempted fixes: Uninstall Quicken 2015, rename all remaining parts of Quicken 2015, run the MS Dot Net fix tool, install the DotNet 4.6.1 SDK, sfc /scannow, force download the latest Windows Update KU. I tried the install again after each of those steps and got nowhere. Edit: I also contacted Quicken support, who told me to contact Microsoft. Google results show that people who contacted Microsoft were told to contact Intuit/Quicken.

Recent changes: Just whatever Windows Update did. I hadn't installed any software or hardware in a few months.

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, upgraded from Windows 8.

System specs: Home-built. Core i7-4770K @ 3.5ghz, ASUS Z87-Plus motherboard, 32gb RAM, Nvidia GTX960 video card, Samsung 500gb 850 Evo c:, pair of 4gb WD RE drives using ReFS for D:, 5TB Green mounted on W:, 6tb Hitachi on X:, Seasonic Platinum 860 PSU.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Google has just a few other people reporting this issue and none with a successful resolution. I'm hoping the Haus can pull a rabbit out of a hat before I reset my Windows install.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I'd try uninstalling then reinstalling your .NETs first.
--
I'm digging into what's causing the installation error, if the above doesn't work I ~might~ have another idea besides doing a refresh of windows.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Is there a way to uninstall 4.x on Windows 10? I haven't been able to find one.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I didn't realize how difficult it is to remove .NET now, sorry! It's installed through Windows Update now, so uninstalling the correct KB would remove it but I don't know for sure which one is the correct one (I think 4.6.2 is KB3151900 maybe?) or how it may affect your system. I take back my advice on doing so, but the option is there.

Something less risky is running this .NET setup verification tool found here https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2008/10/13/net-framework-setup-verification-tool-users-guide/. From what I've been able to find, the Quicken installer uses the same tool to verify that your .NET installation is good (from logs it looks like it's called by CheckHealthOfDotNetFramework() - the one failing the install). Run the verification tool for .NET Framework 4 Client to see if it is in fact your .NET messing up or their installer bugging out.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 2, 2017

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The verification tool validated all the different versions of .Net on my computer successfully.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Sorry for not getting back sooner; I got sick and died.

If you haven't already given up and reset your Windows install, there's a few more things to try out
- Make sure you're running the setup as Administrator
- Re-download the Quicken installation files
- Run this Quicken Cleaner Tool
- Make a new user (Settings > Accounts > Family and other people > Add someone else to this PC) and run the install on this new user.

The Quicken installation logs are located in "C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Log\installer" if you'd like to take a look at them. I believe the only personal information is your Microsoft username in the file paths(C:\Users\YourName\blah\blah). You can open the logs in notepad and Edit > Replace... it with something generic if you're inclined to post them somewhere.

If nothing still resolves this - and you're feeling up to it - you can push the issue on Quicken support with the troubleshooting you've done.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Actuarial Fables posted:

- Make a new user (Settings > Accounts > Family and other people > Add someone else to this PC) and run the install on this new user.

You, sir, are a steely-eyed missile man. I created a new user and ran the installer on that account, and it worked fine. One installed, I had no problem running Quicken on my usual account. Score! Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
:toot:

• Locked thread