Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2UPOl54xMQ

LL Cool J and Robin Williams fight toys. Joan Cusack is an idiot robot. Thomas Dolby and Tori Amos are on the soundtrack. And everything looks like a $200 million 1986 "Doctor Who" story, with all the weird poo poo that implies.

5/10, watch it while not entirely sober.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Toys was one of my favorite movies when I was 11. Might give it a rewatch.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I'm a military man, I want a military meal.

Also wasn't there a giant slug monster or something near the end of the movie?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
there was no slug monster
but yeah it's a strange movie that was in development hell for a reason, it has no target audience, and was marketed like a kid's movie but it's about Vietnam in a Toy Company and has loving.

'How did this get made?' had a pretty good rundown of why it was just such a bizarre idea for a movie, but it's behind their paywall for old crap now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I'm a military man, I want a military meal.

Also wasn't there a giant slug monster or something near the end of the movie?

Sea swine was some robot monster thing.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I've only ever watched that movie when it was showing on Comedy Central. And the only scene I remember now is the war in that model city.

I think young me thought that movie was the experience of being high.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
It was real weird when the one toy bear got blown up and the other toy bear hugged it like in Platoon or something.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
The art direction was what stuck with me the longest. I'll have to give it another watch. :)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ScrubLeague posted:

It was real weird when the one toy bear got blown up and the other toy bear hugged it like in Platoon or something.

Yeah that's the weird Vietnam thing from the toy war, like it plays up a bunch of 'war is hell' images in the least hell-ish way possible and pretty much makes the conflict almost inconsequental, but it doesn't seem ironic. Like there's supposed to be emotional weight to some random mass produced toys being broken becuase they're cute. They even even plot-twist the one human casualty into not really being an issue in the most batshit insane way that's also tonally inconsistent. Like it's supposed to be a big deal that Robin William's sister dies, but nope don't worry she's a robot, she'll get rebuilt. Also everyone already knew that or is 100% ok with that by the next scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
My mom loves this movie.

As a child I was always so confused that sticking an MTV label on one of the monitors actually turned it into MTV.

• Locked thread