Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Here is another ad geared towards the ~male gamer~ who is obviously obsessed with military like stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ssyiVFtWj4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also i had to use a PC that had adblock installed on it for christmas and nothing worked lol not even worth trying to reach adblocked customers since they are use the anroid experience on their expensive gaming PC!!!!!!!

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

pagancow posted:

also i had to use a PC that had adblock installed on it for christmas and nothing worked lol not even worth trying to reach adblocked customers since they are use the anroid experience on their expensive gaming PC!!!!!!!

how can you just lie on the internet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

he’s not lying. he just has a very specific definition where “everything” means “ads.” pagan cow was forced to have to focus on content and not giant ads taking up 2/3 of a webpage

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I watched the first one, and now I have AIDS

Year in Review: The Top 10 Digital Video Campaigns of 2017
http://adage.com/article/the-viral-video-chart/year-review-top-10-campaigns-2017/311707/

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
block JavaScript and watch ads go away

and all the content

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lightbox appears on front "we se you are adblocking please whitelist this site to see it" and then you cant click on anything or scroll hte page

lol

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

mike12345 posted:

I watched the first one, and now I have AIDS

Year in Review: The Top 10 Digital Video Campaigns of 2017
http://adage.com/article/the-viral-video-chart/year-review-top-10-campaigns-2017/311707/

mmm going to que this up when I drink this fine brandy

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pagancow posted:

lightbox appears on front "we se you are adblocking please whitelist this site to see it" and then you cant click on anything or scroll hte page

lol

when that happens you click the x on the tab

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

there was no x

there was one on the tab and i clicked that and used my mobile

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

pagancow posted:

there was no x

there was one on the tab and i clicked that

good! that’s the correct response to anti-Adblock

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

as previously mentioned web devs are weak in the brain and there are usually a number of ways to circumvent that. but in principle you should not give traffic to sites who nag you about ad block, as they don’t have content that is valuable enough in itself to warrant existing otherwise

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pagancow posted:

there was no x

there was one on the tab and i clicked that and used my mobile

yeah that's what i meant

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

OldAlias posted:

as previously mentioned web devs are weak in the brain and there are usually a number of ways to circumvent that. but in principle you should not give traffic to sites who nag you about ad block, as they don’t have content that is valuable enough in itself to warrant existing otherwise

this is correct

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

jokes on u i used my mobile and clicked an ad in an increasingly growing per user cost since mobile inventory is much less than desktop

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:thunk:

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

pagancow posted:

jokes on u i used my mobile and clicked an ad in an increasingly growing per user cost since mobile inventory is much less than desktop

This works best if you never buy the product/service that ad advertised.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-browser-safari

quote:

Internet advertising firms are losing hundreds of millions of dollars following the introduction of a new privacy feature from Apple that prevents users from being tracked around the web.

Advertising technology firm Criteo, one of the largest in the industry, says that the Intelligent Tracking Prevention (ITP) feature for Safari, which holds 15% of the global browser market, is likely to cut its 2018 revenue by more than a fifth compared to projections made before ITP was announced.

With annual revenue in 2016 topping $730m, the overall cost of the privacy feature on just one company is likely to be in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

Dennis Buchheim, general manager of the Interactive Advertising Bureau’s Tech Lab, said that the feature would impact the industry widely.

“We expect a range of companies are facing similar negative impacts from Apple’s Safari tracking changes. Moreover, we anticipate that Apple will retain ITP and evolve it over time as they see fit,” Buchheim told the Guardian.

“There will surely be some continued efforts to ‘outwit’ ITP, but we recommend more sustainable, responsible approaches in the short-term,” Buchheim added. “We also want to work across the industry (ideally including Apple) longer-term to address more robust, cross-device advertising targeting and measurement capabilities that are also consumer friendly.”

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i need to change my pants

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

burn it all down imo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only "consumer friendly" advertising would be one where the user would explicitly request ads on a specific topic, aka no advertising

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

aka amazon reviews

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i mean, is untargeted really so terrible?

for example, if i sell a special cleaning spray that can get cum stains off of particle board, I don't need a list of serial masturbators, i can just put ads here on something awful

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

maskenfreiheit posted:

i mean, is untargeted really so terrible?

for example, if i sell a special cleaning spray that can get cum stains off of particle board, I don't need a list of serial masturbators, i can just put ads here on something awful

or [insert posters mom]s facebook wall

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

blocking ads improves your life more than any product or service ever could

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

blocking ads improves your life more than any product or service ever could

Except a Savers Card for the brothel your mother works at.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

Except a Savers Card for the brothel your mother works at.

i don't think you can stack the friends and family discount w/ loyalty rewards

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think you can stack the friends and family discount w/ loyalty rewards

But she does accept Kohl's Cash and coupons for Hot Pockets as long as they have at least 1 week before expiration.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

quite rude

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

da black broly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this ham radio site mandates you create an account with your callsign for most of its features, and then looks you up on the FCC so they can adblock-shame you using your full legal name.

note that the site has been active with that same message since 2012

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

Here is another ad geared towards the ~male gamer~ who is obviously obsessed with military like stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ssyiVFtWj4

that vertical gpu thing is interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

this ham radio site mandates you create an account with your callsign for most of its features, and then looks you up on the FCC so they can adblock-shame you using your full legal name.

note that the site has been active with that same message since 2012

there will always be old dudes browsing with ie6

• Locked thread