Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This week's Staff Pick is:

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)

Directed by: André Řvredal
Written by: Ian Goldberg and Richard Naing
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3289956/

Summary: "Cox and Hirsch play father and son coroners who receive a mysterious homicide victim with no apparent cause of death. As they attempt to identify the beautiful young "Jane Doe," they discover increasingly bizarre clues that hold the key to her terrifying secrets"

I don't really know much about this movie but the concept sounds cool and I've read that it basically all takes place in this single room, while these two guys poke and prod and get terrified by their assumptions of the unknown. Could be neat? It's streaming at a bunch of places, and audience/critical reception at TIFF 2016 was pretty positive. Info on streaming availability here: http://www.ifcfilms.com/films/the-autopsy-of-jane-doe Kinda pricey because it's a pretty recent release but I don't think it's got any theatre distribution really.

---

From the Staff Picks Archives
January 31st, 2017: Cure
February 7th, 2017: Westfront 1918
February 14th, 2017: John Wick
February 21st, 2017: Red Sorghum
February 28th, 2017: God of Gamblers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is a grody movie with a neat vibe. Nothing earth shattering but if you can stomach extensive clinical gore I can recommend it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well the last third is kinda dumb in the way a lot of horror movies are where they leave behind suspense/paranoia and become overly literal.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Is it worth watching or is it one of those alright-but-not-great crime dramas?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's kinda fun but I think at the moment it's a bit too expensive to rent since it's new. Maybe in October it would be fun to throw in if you're someone who likes to watch hella thrillers and stuff for Shocktober

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813454 new thread with a much much better movie than this one.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

"Food's here, I guess we could watch that SA film while we eat, wonder what it's about"

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

First half was ok, second half has kinda lost me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nettle Soup posted:

First half was ok, second half has kinda lost me.

Yeah it was cooler when it was just a strange corpse and not like demonic bullcrap.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Well that was kinda naff.

Weird thing is, before I put this film on I went to the loo and I heard a bell ringing, came out and asked mum if it was her ringing the bells (we have a set of bells she used to use in her seances, don't even ask it's way too complicated to go into) and she was like "nope, not me, must just be the house-ghost" and I was all "ok, that's weird but whatever, let's watch this film then"

I am living in a literal horror film. If I never post again the film-ghost has... I dunno, put the radio on, flickered the lights a couple of times and then pushed me down the stairs I suppose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

Well that was kinda naff.

Weird thing is, before I put this film on I went to the loo and I heard a bell ringing, came out and asked mum if it was her ringing the bells (we have a set of bells she used to use in her seances, don't even ask it's way too complicated to go into) and she was like "nope, not me, must just be the house-ghost" and I was all "ok, that's weird but whatever, let's watch this film then"

I am living in a literal horror film. If I never post again the film-ghost has... I dunno, put the radio on, flickered the lights a couple of times and then pushed me down the stairs I suppose?

she called the ghost in a seance

• Locked thread