Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Oil prices are back under $50. I knew this would happen, but I thought it would take a bit longer than this. Like, maybe by Memorial Day. We've not yet reached the Ides of March and already speculators are slitting their wrists and reading Nietzsche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yuli Ban posted:

Oil prices are back under $50. I knew this would happen, but I thought it would take a bit longer than this. Like, maybe by Memorial Day. We've not yet reached the Ides of March and already speculators are slitting their wrists and reading Nietzsche.

You make this sound like some kind of exciting development when it's really just business as usual when compared to the last 2 years.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

when oil prices drop do vaseline prices drop too? i go through gallons of that poo poo, without it my dong would probably be skinless by now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Oil prices go up.

Oil prices go down.

You can't explain that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

rudatron posted:

Oil prices go up.

Oil prices go down.

You can't explain that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs&t=112s

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rudatron posted:

Oil prices go up.

Oil prices go down.

You can't explain that.

A casual loop diagram focusing on relationships driving price of the oil industry has a remarkable number of balancing loops :colbert:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Continued low oil prices is bad news or Russia and Saudi Arabia. Which if I recall correctly need oil to be around $100 to break even on their spending.

Russia's cash reserves should be emptied before the end of 2017.

I'm unsure that state of Saudi Arabia's cash reserves.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
~$50 a barrel of oil seems to be really hurting our downstream arm of business at my engineering firm. I'm curious if this is all over or if it's just my firms ineptitude to win jobs.

You'd think all those regulations suddenly not burdening our glorious energy providers would be enough to keep them from layoffs. Isn't that how the GOP see things?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

fishhooked posted:

~$50 a barrel of oil seems to be really hurting our downstream arm of business at my engineering firm. I'm curious if this is all over or if it's just my firms ineptitude to win jobs.

You'd think all those regulations suddenly not burdening our glorious energy providers would be enough to keep them from layoffs. Isn't that how the GOP see things?

Cheap oil is making fracking too expensive to pursue and a lot of middle America that made it big off the fracking boom is now getting hosed sideways. I lived in Oklahoma last year and the number of oil and gas workers who were laid off, even from the engineering offices, was pretty grim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

fishhooked posted:

The more downstream you are, the more insulated you are from price shocks. It takes a little while to propagate. That said, everyone is hurting right now and there is industry concern that we are going to double dip on this thing as US producers were over eager to turn the pumps back on.

Fracking is still profitable, just on select acreage. Folks have consolidated into the Permian and slowed down elsewhere. The downturn kind of pulled back the curtain on peoples breakeven prices which were highly speculative, and as it turned out highly variable.

• Locked thread