Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Quick and dirty background: I spent years in poverty with maxed credit lines and medical (and other) bills going to collections. In the last few years I've quadrupled my income and am now sitting at about 114k/yr cash pretax without bonuses. My expenses aren't all that great, and quite frankly neither are my debts now that i've payed off a bunch. I did, however, find some surprises today when I pulled credit reports for myself and my wife, and my credit score is abysmally low (580-660 depending on where its pulled from, wife is in the mid 700s).

I also want to buy a house this year.

How can I best clean up my credit? What things do I need to worry about and what things can I not control? Are there any reliable and legitimate credit cleaning services that I can talk to to assist me? Help me, goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Quick and dirty background: I spent years in poverty with maxed credit lines and medical (and other) bills going to collections. In the last few years I've quadrupled my income and am now sitting at about 114k/yr cash pretax without bonuses. My expenses aren't all that great, and quite frankly neither are my debts now that i've payed off a bunch. I did, however, find some surprises today when I pulled credit reports for myself and my wife, and my credit score is abysmally low (580-660 depending on where its pulled from, wife is in the mid 700s).

I also want to buy a house this year.

How can I best clean up my credit? What things do I need to worry about and what things can I not control? Are there any reliable and legitimate credit cleaning services that I can talk to to assist me? Help me, goons!

Can you give us a little more information about the nature of the derogatory items you found on your credit reports?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
How do you quadruple your income overnight and what reason is there to believe it'll stay there.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Veskit posted:

How do you quadruple your income overnight and what reason is there to believe it'll stay there.

It took just over 4 years to quadruple. My salary for close to a decade hovered around the 30k/yr point because I was stuck in entry level hell attempting to define a career. I left my last 30k job in Oct 2012 for a contracting job that payed 65k, held onto that for 15 months before the contract ran out. had 6 months of unemployment, got a new position contracting for the same company at 90k, then after 18m got hired as an FTE for over 100k, plus a merit raise and a promotion gets me to just under 120k base.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

Can you give us a little more information about the nature of the derogatory items you found on your credit reports?

I have 3 credit cards:
1: co-signed with wife, 2250 limit, 10 years old, 1 late payment 6 years 9 months ago
2: co-signed with wife, 1000 limit, 9 years old, no late payments
3: no co-signer, 300 limit, 6 months old, no late payments

1 car loan, co-signed with wife, 12k remaining. Term is 60 months, I'm on track to having it paid in 12

Several old medical collections paid in full

A non-paid debt for about 1000 from an old apartment. This one actually has a technical flaw in it that I could likely use to get dismissed (collection agency back-charged interest prior to them receiving the account)
A collection for about 200 from an agency for a time warner bill that I don't remember
An unpaid medical debt that I have no idea where it's from

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I have 3 credit cards:
1: co-signed with wife, 2250 limit, 10 years old, 1 late payment 6 years 9 months ago
2: co-signed with wife, 1000 limit, 9 years old, no late payments
3: no co-signer, 300 limit, 6 months old, no late payments

1 car loan, co-signed with wife, 12k remaining. Term is 60 months, I'm on track to having it paid in 12

Several old medical collections paid in full

A non-paid debt for about 1000 from an old apartment. This one actually has a technical flaw in it that I could likely use to get dismissed (collection agency back-charged interest prior to them receiving the account)
A collection for about 200 from an agency for a time warner bill that I don't remember
An unpaid medical debt that I have no idea where it's from

It sounds like you have a couple derogatories that you may be able to dispute. Another possible thing holding your score down could be a high utilization rate. The credit limits on your credit cards are pretty low, and if they're reporting a utilization rate of >30% or so (e.g., if the statement period on your third card closes with more than $90 on it) then your score will take a hit. You may want to look into either bumping up the limits (potentially difficult with your score) or paying them off more frequently.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

It sounds like you have a couple derogatories that you may be able to dispute. Another possible thing holding your score down could be a high utilization rate. The credit limits on your credit cards are pretty low, and if they're reporting a utilization rate of >30% or so (e.g., if the statement period on your third card closes with more than $90 on it) then your score will take a hit. You may want to look into either bumping up the limits (potentially difficult with your score) or paying them off more frequently.

What's the best way to dispute things off? Should I just start the process of writing letters? Is it better to get a lawyer involved? are there credit repair companies that are worth anything?

Also, there's just tons of small value medical debt that's paid off. Is there any mitigation to remove medical debt or does it just sit there like everything else?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What's the best way to dispute things off? Should I just start the process of writing letters? Is it better to get a lawyer involved? are there credit repair companies that are worth anything?

Also, there's just tons of small value medical debt that's paid off. Is there any mitigation to remove medical debt or does it just sit there like everything else?

Unfortunately I have reached the limit of my expertise. I know a decent amount about credit scores themselves but have no experience with disputing derogatories. Hopefully someone else has something useful to add.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, I'm not an authority or professional, blah blah don't sue me.

Stay away from "credit repair" companies.

A lot of medical debt is ignored / low weighted on the models used by financial institutions. It's impossible to predict what your score will actually be when pulled by any random company because you have no idea what model they'll be using. The scores you can generally get yourself give you an idea, but it's rough.

If the medical debt is sub $500 dollars you have a pretty good chance of getting it wiped. Frame your disputes as best you can the first time.

You don't need to write letters, you can initiate disputes online now. You also get a full copy of your credit report when doing so.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Paladine_PSoT posted:

There's a debt collections thread kicking around here somewhere that should have more info. Credit repair places just take your money and do the same thing that you can do yourself, afaik.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think pay for delete is the fast credit score fix if you are unsuccessful in the regular dispute. Otherwise 7 years they just drop off. (This is internet knowledge so who knows if it works).

Credit card utilization as mentioned also is a big part of the new score. Ask your credit cards to raise the limits. They will do this with a phone call. (Usually) Then you have to wait 3 months and call again to get more limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Elephanthead posted:

I think pay for delete is the fast credit score fix if you are unsuccessful in the regular dispute. Otherwise 7 years they just drop off. (This is internet knowledge so who knows if it works).

Credit card utilization as mentioned also is a big part of the new score. Ask your credit cards to raise the limits. They will do this with a phone call. (Usually) Then you have to wait 3 months and call again to get more limits.

They're technically not supposed to do that, but it can happen.

Raising credit limit usually requires a hard pull which will drop your score a tad, it's usually still better than high utilization every month though.

• Locked thread