Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Problem description: When booting the system, it will run for about 10 seconds, start to go through startup, then freeze. Happens when booting off the internal hard disc, and when booting from a USB stick with Win 10, Win 7 and Ubuntu. Ran all on-board diagnostics - full memory scan, full HD sector scan, full CPU, PCI-E, and motherboard test, all passed with no reported problems. Some of these tests ran for hours, like the sector scan, and there was no indication of a problem.
One clue - I managed to start recovery and got a string of crashes with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

Attempted fixes: Swapped out the hard drive, tried booting off external media with multiple OSes. Looking for a USB CD-ROM to try patching the BIOS

Recent changes: System locked up a while back, and hasn't worked since

--

Operating system: Was Windows 10 64-bit, I believe.

System specs: Lenovo Yoga 12, model 20DL003AUS

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The_Raven posted:

Problem description: When booting the system, it will run for about 10 seconds, start to go through startup, then freeze. Happens when booting off the internal hard disc, and when booting from a USB stick with Win 10, Win 7 and Ubuntu. Ran all on-board diagnostics - full memory scan, full HD sector scan, full CPU, PCI-E, and motherboard test, all passed with no reported problems. Some of these tests ran for hours, like the sector scan, and there was no indication of a problem.
One clue - I managed to start recovery and got a string of crashes with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

Attempted fixes: Swapped out the hard drive, tried booting off external media with multiple OSes. Looking for a USB CD-ROM to try patching the BIOS

Recent changes: System locked up a while back, and hasn't worked since

--

Operating system: Was Windows 10 64-bit, I believe.

System specs: Lenovo Yoga 12, model 20DL003AUS

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

WHEA is the Windows Hardware Error Architecture, supposedly should be telling you SOME part has failed and it seems like that's the case considering the symptoms you're seeing. How many sticks of RAM are in there? If more than 1, I would test each individually and see if the system boots with them, provided you can access the RAM. Goal here is to rule out every part/cable you possibly can (and you already did the HDD) and RAM is typically fairly easy and a good starting point.

• Locked thread