Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CountFosco posted:

I protested this point of view. I'll quote from what seems like a reasonable website:

the next 2 sentences after your quote posted:

The Upshot: We Don’t Know, So Greater Emphasis on Making Our Lives Count

As is clear from this brief discussion, the Jewish tradition contains a variety of opinions on the subjects of heaven and hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a convert and no offense but I'd like to see more jewish thought in here and less running circles with countfosco.

EDIT: also if you want to ask me about being a convert feel free. I'm reform technically but I tend to lean more towards conservative in practice. Before you ask, I was circumcised as a baby gentile. The hardest part is explaining kosher to my family, but since I eat a lot like a vegan anyway it's not a huge stretch to just refuse meat or dairy at holidays/restaurants.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 24, 2017

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

vintagepurple posted:

I'm a convert and no offense but I'd like to see more jewish thought in here and less running circles with countfosco.

EDIT: also if you want to ask me about being a convert feel free. I'm reform technically but I tend to lean more towards conservative in practice. Before you ask, I was circumcised as a baby gentile. The hardest part is explaining kosher to my family, but since I eat a lot like a vegan anyway it's not a huge stretch to just refuse meat or dairy at holidays/restaurants.

Would you consider doing an orthodox conversion to doubledown on being a "real Jew"/"halakhically Jewish" if it were demanded by the family of a potential spouse, so that your children would be considered Jewish by most streams and communities. :yum:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Would you consider doing an orthodox conversion to doubledown on being a "real Jew"/"halakhically Jewish" if it were demanded by the family of a potential spouse, so that your children would be considered Jewish by most streams and communities. :yum:

What? I mean people can believe whatever bullshit they want but we are commanded to accept converts as just as Jewish as the rest of us.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

zakharov posted:

What? I mean people can believe whatever bullshit they want but we are commanded to accept converts as just as Jewish as the rest of us.

Naw what he's getting at is that generally speaking more traditional movements won't accept conversions from less traditional movements. So a reform conversion is often not seen as valid by conservative or orthodox, but reform will accept all 3.

In general I really think it doesn't matter. The largest movement in the US by a large margin is reform so you're already in with the vast majority of Jews. In my experience unless they're full Hasidic as well nobody is going to care. There's so few Jews in most parts of the country that all the movements will work together. All 3 movements are also considered valid for the law of return if you care about such things, too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

So a reform conversion is often not seen as valid by conservative or orthodox, but reform will accept all 3.

That's not just a conversion issue, a lot of orthodox don't really see reform Judaism as "valid" converted or not.

but yeah the only time I can see a family demanding orthodox conversion is if that family is orthodox themselves. most conservative or reform families are not going to care about being accepted by the hasidic communities

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Earwicker posted:

That's not just a conversion issue, a lot of orthodox don't really see reform Judaism as "valid" converted or not.

Yeah that's a fair point. Reform changed their rules a few decades back so jewish descent follows both matrilineal and patrilineal lines. Before, reform was seen as "bad Jews" who werent following the laws. This pretty much severed any chance of getting them to agree on anything.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Thanks for the reply, that was interesting to me.

If people who live elsewhere, like in the US, and who may happen to practice Judaism, have a perspective on these questions that may differ from Chernabog's, then I'd be interested in hearing of those, too. Otherwise I'd probably take it as an experience that people feel can be fairly extrapolated to, more-or-less, describe how Jewish communities are organized in the US, too.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Earwicker posted:

but yeah the only time I can see a family demanding orthodox conversion is if that family is orthodox themselves. most conservative or reform families are not going to care about being accepted by the hasidic communities

Hasidim are haredim, not just orthodox. Modern Orthodox communities that can also be surprisingly bad about the inclusion of converts and the children of people that did not complete orthodox conversions.

Please also never forget that Chabad are ultra-orthodox.

Cuddly Tumblemumps fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 19, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Gentile here, I've got a mezuzah question. I am a renter in a duplex, and I noticed today that some of the "main" doorways in the building have mezuzah cases on them. However, the rest of the main doorways have really obvious outlines and nail-holes that indicate they previously had mezuzah cases on them, but don't any more. I asked one of my roommates and they said that they think the previous owners of the building were Jewish.

If it turns out that my landlord and the rest of my fellow tenants aren't Jewish, is there anything I should do about the mezuzahs or the "missing" ones? I can't find anything online that gives any kind of rabbi-approved, definitive answer about this issue. I know that different branches of Judaism and different rabbis would probably give different answers, but any pointers to good information would be helpful. I just want to be respectful and I don't know if I should leave them, give them to a local Jewish community, or what.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

If you don't wanna leave them there it's perfectly fine to take them down. As for what to do with them do note the mezuzah itself doesn't mean much, it's just a case. The scrolls inside however are considered sacred. I'd bring them to a synagogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Yeah, I know that the special part is the scroll, and that there are certain rules for how to create and install the scroll/case. This is also why I ask, because I know that there are also rules to follow once they are installed. I like the idea of "returning" them to a local Jewish community, especially if that means they can be re-used.

I should note that these cases (and any potential scrolls inside) might be considered the property of my landlord, so I would have to run it by him first. Also I didn't pry either of the cases off the wall so I don't know if they even still have scrolls inside.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 4, 2017

• Locked thread