Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

KillHour posted:

Where do I get high quality California King blankets and comforters that won't fall apart or be uncomfortable?

I don't really have a budget, because I don't really know what they should cost, if that makes sense.

On overall linens, I don't have any real preference, sorry! I have some suggestions for sheets and pillows, but not so much blankets, duvets, and comforters. If I had a more extensive education, I'd make recommendations. :smith:

Cobra Commander posted:

Hello goons. I am in need of a mattress. Queen sized for two side sleepers. The dog sleeps with us and is a big fluff and my partner and I are both hot sleepers. It also doesn’t help we live in Florida. I plan to head to a mattress store soon and try out a bed or ten. I’m willing to spend around $1500ish give or take a little on either side. I have extreme analysis paralysis when looking at online options including bed in a box considerations. Help!

There are a good few options. Remember to focus on breathability when selecting a mattress under $2k. Beds won't start getting dramatically cooler in general until that arbitrary price point.

Stoca Zola's observation about hybrids (i.e., tradtional coils topped with memory foam) is not unique to them, particularly in that $1k-ish range. You may be trading pressure relief for heat dissipation; you can compensate for that with smart accessorizing, though, so keep that in mind.

Without knowing more, aim for something medium-to-plush. It is important when side sleepers try beds, they focus on two major things: 1) no pressure points in hips and shoulders, and; 2) your back feels as if it is in a comfortable, natural position. Feel free to take a few minutes to try these out. It is often easy to quickly eliminate a wrong choice, but it takes some time to choose between the final two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Very very appreciated, thank you. I hear that I can mitigate some heat with appropriate bedding so I’ll also look into those as well since there may be higher consideration for joint pressure than overall heat reduction.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Cobra Commander posted:

Very very appreciated, thank you. I hear that I can mitigate some heat with appropriate bedding so I’ll also look into those as well since there may be higher consideration for joint pressure than overall heat reduction.

I'll generally favor hybrids for folks who want a firmer-to-medium feel but require pressure relief.

Also, a quick protip: not all side sleepers are the same type of sleeper.
If you have someone who keeps their knees together, they're a true side sleeper.
If you have someone who kicks that top leg forward and rolls forward a bit, they're more of a hybrid stomach/side sleeper.
There are generally three reasons that type of sleeper exists: 1) they have a little snoring, and tilting forward makes breathing easier, or; 2) there is pressure on the hip, so they are rolling forward to be on that adductor muscle in front of the hip joint, or; 3) their hips are wide, and they have to tilt forward to remain comfortably on their side and not put pressure on their lower back.

If you or your partner are either 1 or 3, consider a mattress that has a zoned support, but be sensitive to if it pushes hips upward too much; that feels like a little bit of pressure just above the tailbone. If you or your partner are 2, consider going softer than you prefer.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Holy cow I see why you are the thread expert. Both my partner and myself are hybrid side sleepers. I will definitely keep this info in mind while shopping. Thank you very much, again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Synastren posted:

On overall linens, I don't have any real preference, sorry! I have some suggestions for sheets and pillows, but not so much blankets, duvets, and comforters. If I had a more extensive education, I'd make recommendations. :smith:

Thanks for the honesty. I'd appreciate suggestions for sheets and pillows too if you have them!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Cobra Commander posted:

Holy cow I see why you are the thread expert. Both my partner and myself are hybrid side sleepers. I will definitely keep this info in mind while shopping. Thank you very much, again.

I've sold beds for 7 years and am very good at my job for all the right reasons. :ssh:
The only reason that I haven't started an Ask thread is because I want it to be clear I'm not trying to sell stuff to anyone, and this thread kinda functions the same way.

KillHour posted:

Thanks for the honesty. I'd appreciate suggestions for sheets and pillows too if you have them!

Pillows are tricky, because they work alongside the mattress you're on. Broadly speaking, you have loft (height), fill (material inside), and firmness ( :unsmith: ). If you sleep on your side, for example, the height + firmness will change based on the width of your shoulder and the firmness of the mattress (how far your shoulder sinks)--and what you do with your arm (tuck vs not). Fill is mostly driven by preference.

For sheets, the biggest thing to remember is to avoid thread counts over ~600 if you get warm. You begin to trade heat dissipation for softness at that point. Similarly, try to keep the balance of polyester as low as possible in a cotton/poly blend. Some materials work better than others for cooling, and the best performing cooling sheets are likely intended to have a shorter lifespan.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, Synastren, I recall when you started the thread, that you wanted to be able to recommend Purple mattresses, but couldn't because you hadn't had enough experience with them yet. Has that changed in the recent years? What are your thoughts on them now, if you've gained more knowledge?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, Synastren, I recall when you started the thread, that you wanted to be able to recommend Purple mattresses, but couldn't because you hadn't had enough experience with them yet. Has that changed in the recent years? What are your thoughts on them now, if you've gained more knowledge?

I have good news and I have bad news.

The good news is I have quite a lot of experience with the original, hybrid, and premier hybrid lines, and what is now the Purple Lux line. The bad news is the old line (Original, Hybrid, Premier Hybrid) are effectively dead.

Short version is that they're solid. I don't think that they're objectively better or worse than most other products, just very, very different. They tended to be as divisive as Tempur when it came to folks trying them, with a very clear love-it-or-hate-it reaction. They're very cool, and they're extremely good at providing buoyant pressure relief that is easy to move around in. They're also exceptionally wiggly and feel like lying on a waterbed filled with jello, and incredibly heavy and floppy. They have all of the pressure relief of memory foam without any of the heat issues... and none of the motion isolation or cuddle feel.

They're so unique and different that you should definitely try to find a place to try them before purchasing, because you will know quickly if that product is wrong for you. And they're starting to show up in more and more locations, both throughout Mattress Firm, but also in more local and regional furniture stores.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anectodetdly I've owned a purple 2 original line, loved it enough to get a purple 3 king size when it was time. I've had the two for 6 years and while it's a guest bed now I still get complements. I'm a side to back sleeper and it works really well for me.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Another question for Synastren, are Purple's adjustable bases worth checking out? We're planning to buy a king mattress + frame and considering going adjustable and wondering if it would be worth going for Purple with both. Also, have your recommendations wrt reliable adjustable bases changed?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

babydonthurtme posted:

Another question for Synastren, are Purple's adjustable bases worth checking out? We're planning to buy a king mattress + frame and considering going adjustable and wondering if it would be worth going for Purple with both. Also, have your recommendations wrt reliable adjustable bases changed?

Their new bases are made by Ergomotion, which makes some very good products.

The best widely available base right now is the Tempur ProSmart for a whole trove of poorly communicated reasons. I'm torn between trying to be transparent about its value but also be keenly aware of the competitive advantage of my company, but suffice it to say that after I did a deep dive into it I've been sorely tempted to replace my only-3-year-old base. The sonic oscillation in that base is incredible, and the most innovative thing in adjustable bases since zero clearance became A Thing.

Failing that, the Tempur bases are quite good for where their lumbar support is latitudinally located on the base--it will generally catch folks in the right place, no matter their sleeping position. Presumably, the Purple bases behave similarly, but there is no photographic evidence on Purple's website as to where that lumbar support is or how it moves. Further, I don't trust their advertised pillow tilt, because I couldn't see it and I sell these things for a living :shrug:

These new bases are head and shoulders above their previous complement though, so kudos to them for getting that big of an upgrade! The Ascent was overpriced, and the original base was... not my favorite. To put it mildly.

If you're going with a Purple mattress with a base, though, I'd strongly suggest getting something where the support structure is solid rather than a grid or mesh or anything. Purple's mattresses are among the heaviest in the industry, so you absolutely want to get something that will be able to support it, much less lift it easily. Anything with a lift capacity at or above 650 or 700 lbs in a queen should be ok from a lifting perspective, and anything with a solid support deck should be fine structurally. It really comes down to the features you want!

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Synastren posted:

The best widely available base right now is the Tempur ProSmart for a whole trove of poorly communicated reasons. I'm torn between trying to be transparent about its value but also be keenly aware of the competitive advantage of my company, but suffice it to say that after I did a deep dive into it I've been sorely tempted to replace my only-3-year-old base. The sonic oscillation in that base is incredible, and the most innovative thing in adjustable bases since zero clearance became A Thing.

[...]

If you're going with a Purple mattress with a base, though, I'd strongly suggest getting something where the support structure is solid rather than a grid or mesh or anything. Purple's mattresses are among the heaviest in the industry, so you absolutely want to get something that will be able to support it, much less lift it easily. Anything with a lift capacity at or above 650 or 700 lbs in a queen should be ok from a lifting perspective, and anything with a solid support deck should be fine structurally. It really comes down to the features you want!
Thanks for the rec and the tips! Didn't realize Purple mattresses were so heavy. Will keep that in mind when we're trying stuff out :)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So, I'm about to move to Canada for 1 year and I'm going to be on an air mattress until I can buy a bed. Any insights into mattress shopping in Canada? There is a SleepCountry store a 4 minute walk from my apartment, so I think I'll go there and lie on some until I find the firmness/softness that I like.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So, I'm about to move to Canada for 1 year and I'm going to be on an air mattress until I can buy a bed. Any insights into mattress shopping in Canada? There is a SleepCountry store a 4 minute walk from my apartment, so I think I'll go there and lie on some until I find the firmness/softness that I like.

Most of the major players are the same between the US and Canada, as far as I know. Expect to see comparatively more BeautyRest, I think, and slightly less Sealy/Stearns & Foster, but otherwise, there isn't a huge disparity between US/CA.

Sleep Country is like Canada's Mattress Firm, but less dominant and ubiquitous.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, I got a suggestion of Helix mattresses, any thoughts?

Edit: Are they even available in Canada?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

You'll find that Sealy in Canada is different than USA (its higher end/quality), but yeah, sleep Country is the major place. There's no real price matching because every chain stocks slightly different versions of the same thing (that are not listed on manufacturers website).

Costco also has good deals fairly often, and their return policy is great (ie no questions asked)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's the fine print on Nectar's one year home trial?

Also, is Siena any good?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

What's the fine print on Nectar's one year home trial?

Also, is Siena any good?

Just bumping this up. I still haven't made a purchase yet, but I'm planning to this week or next in whatever holiday sale is happening.

One of the mattress stores in Calgary, Mattress Mattress (what a name!) has something called Beducation, I believe it's going into a store and being shown how to pick out the right mattress for you. I'm thinking I'll do that, then once I have a mattress or two picked out I'll shop by price between them, Sleep Country, and The Bay. Maybe Costco if I re-up my membership (if it's still required?).

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Sorry for the delayed response! I've been promoted, moved across the country, and my life has changed pretty significantly.

Nectar's return policy is that they will coordinate with you to donate your mattress to a local charity. Once that has happened, you furnish them a receipt, and they process your refund.

The only thing I can tell you about Siena is that it sure is a mattress. It's super cheap, and it will hold up for a couple of years, probably. I wouldn't be excited about it. :shrug:

Costco offers very competitive pricing on mattresses, but you can't try them there. You may be able to find the models they sell elsewhere to try first. And they definitely require an active membership to purchase.

I wish I had any context I could share about retailers in Canada, but unfortunately, that's a bit outside of my scope. I know Sleep Country is the company that Mattress Firm compares itself to sometimes, for whatever that's worth.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks for replying, and congrats on the big changes!

Today I went to Sleep Country and laid on a few mattresses. The four that I liked most are, in order of low cost to high ($ :canada: $):

$1499 - Simba 2500
$1699 - Casper Hybrid (yep, I re-read the article today and confirmed they have the same CEO)
$1699 - Sealy Posturepedic Plus Optimum Grand Gemma
$1849 - Serta Perfect Sleeper Elite Taryn

These are all queen size. Any thoughts or input on them?

The salesman mentioned that they were going to open another store 3 hours away, but it's not opening at the moment, so they had that location's display/floor models available for 30% off. Only one of each.

Tomorrow my cousin is driving me to Mattress Mattress, I'll do the Beducation thing and see what they have that I like.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Thanks for replying, and congrats on the big changes!

Today I went to Sleep Country and laid on a few mattresses. The four that I liked most are, in order of low cost to high ($ :canada: $):

$1499 - Simba 2500
$1699 - Casper Hybrid (yep, I re-read the article today and confirmed they have the same CEO)
$1699 - Sealy Posturepedic Plus Optimum Grand Gemma
$1849 - Serta Perfect Sleeper Elite Taryn

These are all queen size. Any thoughts or input on them?

The salesman mentioned that they were going to open another store 3 hours away, but it's not opening at the moment, so they had that location's display/floor models available for 30% off. Only one of each.

Tomorrow my cousin is driving me to Mattress Mattress, I'll do the Beducation thing and see what they have that I like.

They all seem like fine choices, honestly. It irks me how much more difficult it is to get actual specifications of these products compared to their US counterparts, though there aren't any direct comparisons. I'm a little bemused at a near luxury level Serta innerspring--they just don't make those in the US! Likewise, that Sealy is very strange compared to what's on offer here, but not entirely alien. For example, latex is basically exclusive to luxury products, whereas it seems like a common material in Canada. :shrug:

Regardless, none of those seem like bad choices from a quality standpoint. Pay close attention to how any pressure points react to prolonged laying in them, including support issues (i.e., your hips/shoulders, and more central areas like around your spine), and don't be afraid to take your time and lounge on your top couple of mattresses to confirm your choice.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well my cousin took me to Mattress Mattress on New Year's Eve, and I didn't love any of their products or their deals. Most of their inventory is a Canadian line called Kingsdown, the only one I liked was one of theirs called Cypruss Bay.

Also, their "Beducation" is a 5 minute demo of the various mattress materials. We did about half of it and then moved on to checking out mattresses:

Anyway, I went back to Sleep Country tonight and met up with the same sales rep. Revisited the same four I listed above, and in the end I felt the best about the Serta. Went with that plus a standard metal frame (I already have a headboard), plus a five inch boxspring/foundation. I think I made out okay, pricewise:

$1849 $1571 - Serta mattress
$159 - $127 - metal frame
$299 - $239 - 5" base
$99 - $49 - 10 year warranty
$59.99- Green Glove Delivery
$2045.99
+$102.30 - tax
$2148.29 in :canada:
~$1608 in :911:

I'm stoked! This is the first time buying myself a brand new bed :tootzzz:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Well my cousin took me to Mattress Mattress on New Year's Eve, and I didn't love any of their products or their deals. Most of their inventory is a Canadian line called Kingsdown, the only one I liked was one of theirs called Cypruss Bay.

Also, their "Beducation" is a 5 minute demo of the various mattress materials. We did about half of it and then moved on to checking out mattresses:

Anyway, I went back to Sleep Country tonight and met up with the same sales rep. Revisited the same four I listed above, and in the end I felt the best about the Serta. Went with that plus a standard metal frame (I already have a headboard), plus a five inch boxspring/foundation. I think I made out okay, pricewise:

$1849 $1571 - Serta mattress
$159 - $127 - metal frame
$299 - $239 - 5" base
$99 - $49 - 10 year warranty
$59.99- Green Glove Delivery
$2045.99
+$102.30 - tax
$2148.29 in :canada:
~$1608 in :911:

I'm stoked! This is the first time buying myself a brand new bed :tootzzz:

Congratulations! It's an arduous purchase that no one enjoys going through.

I love the variations between the US and CA on some of that. The base would be called a foundation (fka box spring), and I've never in my life heard of "green glove" delivery. White glove and "red carpet" are the defaults here; green glove makes me think of gardening. Also, that Beducation thing makes me hurt a lot inside, because that seems like a thing that an industry insider would think is a great idea without doing any market testing at all. And that looks like a well kept Mattress Firm circa 2017, which isn't at all giving me deja vu.

Prices look pretty good to me, and the translation into USD helps me place that mattress more alongside what we carry here: a solid midrange not-quite-luxury mattress from a solid brand with comparably priced frame and foundation. Your sales tax is half of what I would reasonably expect in the US, though, which boggles my damned mind.

One question, though: what is the warranty? Is that a protector? If not, get one. Stateside, at least, all new mattresses come with a 10 year warranty without any additional hoops, which is good as long as the product isn't stained, soiled, or damaged.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Green glove means they take your old mattress and donate or recycle it

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Scudworth posted:

Green glove means they take your old mattress and donate or recycle it

I was mostly referring to the difference in terminology. White glove is what that usually goes by in the States, is all!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My delivery is today, and they're going to assemble it too. Should I consider tipping them?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My delivery is today, and they're going to assemble it too. Should I consider tipping them?

Entirely up to you! It never hurts, but I don't know what the cultural expectations are there with respect to tipping delivery drivers. It varies wildly across the US. :shrug:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

You should tip them regardless of the weather

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
So two years ago I bought a Purple Hybrid 4 and it's great, it sleeps cooler than any mattress I've ever had. I like a soft mattress but if I were to do it again I'd probably get the 3 instead of the 4 because sometimes the 4 just feels too soft, it's extremely squishy. I hope it lasts me for a good many more years. If anyone is considering the Purple I give it a thumb's up.

I do want to buy a bed that isn't Amazon trash, though. I used a Zinus folding one for a while and it was alright, but I roll back and forth and the blanket has a tendency to migrate off the foot of the bed. I'd like something with a footboard higher than the mattress, doesn't need to be much higher, just a couple inches would keep my blanket in place. I'd like the platform to be at least 12-14 inches off the ground, to have some storage space underneath. If someone has a recommendation I'd appreciate it.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I got a nectar ad for a split king with an adjustable frame, some sheet and stuff for right around 2k. I’ve heard that nectar isn’t the best, but it was effective at making me realize that I could absolutely spend in that ballpark for a bundle like that. Are there any other retailers beyond mattress firm I should be looking at? It doesn’t look like Costco has these bundles, which is my go to for big ticket items.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I have no idea where to look for pillows. Both me and my partner have been getting pretty bad neck/shoulder pain lately and I'm pointing towards pillows as a culprit. I'm in Canada and I honestly don't know where to go to look, either. More likely for me hating shopping but retail in Canada can be irritating.

I don't even know what kind to look for? I've personally tried fairly cheap versions of a normie cheap synthetic fluff pillow, a cheap Ikea feather down pillow (low pile) and an ergonomic foam pillow from Ikea as well. I sleep like a wiggly worm but I tend to settled into a side/belly position and my partner tends to sleep fully on his side.

I'm also suspecting that the gap between the headboard and mattress is swallowing them up but that one is an easier fix.

I'm willing to pay for something, but I'm pretty hesitant to spend more than $100CAD on a pillow if I'm not sure if it'll destroy my vertebrae. Last I looked at the bay they were remodelling and only had cheapy stuff OR the $250+ stuff and I'm really not ready to spend that sort of money unless I know it'll be a slam-dunk.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kylaer posted:

So two years ago I bought a Purple Hybrid 4 and it's great, it sleeps cooler than any mattress I've ever had. I like a soft mattress but if I were to do it again I'd probably get the 3 instead of the 4 because sometimes the 4 just feels too soft, it's extremely squishy. I hope it lasts me for a good many more years. If anyone is considering the Purple I give it a thumb's up.

I do want to buy a bed that isn't Amazon trash, though. I used a Zinus folding one for a while and it was alright, but I roll back and forth and the blanket has a tendency to migrate off the foot of the bed. I'd like something with a footboard higher than the mattress, doesn't need to be much higher, just a couple inches would keep my blanket in place. I'd like the platform to be at least 12-14 inches off the ground, to have some storage space underneath. If someone has a recommendation I'd appreciate it.

I wish I had good furniture recommendations, but I've been using an adjustable base for nearly a decade. I'd suggest one of those, but with a Purple hybrid, make sure you get one with a solid support, rather than a wire based thing. The wires will not hold up well over time with something of that weight. Honestly, I think it's time to just browse around for different platform beds until you find something you like! If it's less than $200, I'd move on.

meanolmrcloud posted:

I got a nectar ad for a split king with an adjustable frame, some sheet and stuff for right around 2k. I’ve heard that nectar isn’t the best, but it was effective at making me realize that I could absolutely spend in that ballpark for a bundle like that. Are there any other retailers beyond mattress firm I should be looking at? It doesn’t look like Costco has these bundles, which is my go to for big ticket items.

This depends entirely on where you live. In the several markets I've visited throughout the Midwest and South, Mattress Firm tends to have better customer service and similar pricing (sometimes better). If there are regional players that aren't garbage, they can be worth looking at; furniture stores will likely be not worth the effort of visiting, as they treat mattresses exactly the same as other furniture quite often, and lack training of specialty retailers. If you are interested in going to a Mattress Firm, feel free to DM me, and I'll see how helpful I can be in matching you up with someone who is highly regarded in your area!

Jyrraeth posted:

I have no idea where to look for pillows. Both me and my partner have been getting pretty bad neck/shoulder pain lately and I'm pointing towards pillows as a culprit. I'm in Canada and I honestly don't know where to go to look, either. More likely for me hating shopping but retail in Canada can be irritating.

I don't even know what kind to look for? I've personally tried fairly cheap versions of a normie cheap synthetic fluff pillow, a cheap Ikea feather down pillow (low pile) and an ergonomic foam pillow from Ikea as well. I sleep like a wiggly worm but I tend to settled into a side/belly position and my partner tends to sleep fully on his side.

I'm also suspecting that the gap between the headboard and mattress is swallowing them up but that one is an easier fix.

I'm willing to pay for something, but I'm pretty hesitant to spend more than $100CAD on a pillow if I'm not sure if it'll destroy my vertebrae. Last I looked at the bay they were remodelling and only had cheapy stuff OR the $250+ stuff and I'm really not ready to spend that sort of money unless I know it'll be a slam-dunk.

Keep in mind that your mattress and pillow work together, so looking at the pillow in a vacuum isn't necessarily going to solve everything. If you want to go super hard, go to a place like a Sleep Country and try to find a mattress on the showroom that feels like yours at home, and work to match a pillow that feels right. Also, if you explain that to whomever is working, I'm 99% sure they'll do their best to help you achieve that goal. As you try these pillows, pay attention to the pressure points you feel and see if you start to feel them. If you do within a minute or two, that pillow is also inappropriate.

Typically, where you feel your discomfort informs what changes you should look to make. If it's on the side that is closer to the mattress and higher up on your neck, likely your current pillow is pushing your head too high. If it's away from the mattress and further down, it's too low. This is generally true regardless of sleeping position.

As an aside, make sure you are using your pillow correctly! For standard shaped pillows, you want to pull the pillow down against your collarbone when you're on your side. On your back, an inch and a half (3 cm-ish) under your shoulders. And on your stomach, you'd either barely be using it, or you'd want to have it down to your upper chest. Utilizing your pillow in those ways helps to ensure that your neck stays in a natural position, minimizing discomfort the next morning!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Synastren posted:

I wish I had good furniture recommendations, but I've been using an adjustable base for nearly a decade. I'd suggest one of those, but with a Purple hybrid, make sure you get one with a solid support, rather than a wire based thing. The wires will not hold up well over time with something of that weight. Honestly, I think it's time to just browse around for different platform beds until you find something you like! If it's less than $200, I'd move on.

Can you say more about adjustable bases (or if you have a link to where you've said it before, I'm happy to go back and read)? I've heard you recommend them several times, and truth be told it's not something I've ever even considered. But we're in the market for a mattress and bed frame and for the first time probably have the budget for something that isn't just an ikea base. What are the advantages to adjustable bases? What price range should we be looking at for something like that? How do we determine what is a quality, durable base vs something that will fall apart? Reading back in the thread some, I see you mention the Tempur ProSmart. Would that work for other mattresses as well, or should it be paired with Tempurpedic only? Can you elaborate a bit more on what you like about it so much? Honestly, I've only ever seen adjustable bases in hospital beds and for very old people, so I'm open to one, but I'm surprised to hear how enthusiastic you are about them.

Beyond the base, any general mattress recommendations for a side sleeper and a mostly front sleeper? I assume it will mostly come down to what feels good, but from what I've read here in the past, we'res a tough combination since you generally want softer for side and firmer for front, so I'd love some suggestions on where to start. The last bed we had was an older Leesa, which worked well until recently, when the support really collapsed and it is now unbearably squishy. As for budget, we're further along in our careers now than last time we were looking for a bed, so we're in a position where we're able to spend a decent amount for a quality product now (within reason, I'm not bringing home a $10k bed).

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Grumpwagon posted:

Can you say more about adjustable bases (or if you have a link to where you've said it before, I'm happy to go back and read)? I've heard you recommend them several times, and truth be told it's not something I've ever even considered. But we're in the market for a mattress and bed frame and for the first time probably have the budget for something that isn't just an ikea base. What are the advantages to adjustable bases? What price range should we be looking at for something like that? How do we determine what is a quality, durable base vs something that will fall apart? Reading back in the thread some, I see you mention the Tempur ProSmart. Would that work for other mattresses as well, or should it be paired with Tempurpedic only? Can you elaborate a bit more on what you like about it so much? Honestly, I've only ever seen adjustable bases in hospital beds and for very old people, so I'm open to one, but I'm surprised to hear how enthusiastic you are about them.

My enthusiasm for bases comes down to the fact that unlike mattresses, their utilization of physics pretty much makes them work similarly for everyone.

You've unlocked a big dump of information!

When you elevate the upper body beyond ~10 degrees or so, you do several things: you change the angle of the airway, which makes it more difficult to obstruct; you increase the slope of the esophagus, which makes it more difficult for stomach acid to escape; you may reduce muscle strain of the shoulders and neck. Essentially, raising the upper body can reduce the severity of snoring and acid reflux, and has the incidental benefit of feeling pretty nice.

When you elevate the feet to be at or above heart level, circulation to the lower extremities is enhanced, as gravity helps to pull blood back to the heart on offbeats. Incidentally, raising the legs alters the angle of the hips and pelvis, often reducing pressure in the lower back--sometimes even remedying experienced pain.

At minimum, I virtually always recommend an adjustable base that can elevate both head and feet. I prefer bases that have smooth settings (i.e., do not have specific heights they move to), as that allows each person or couple to find what elevation works best for them. And sleeping at least slightly elevated is pretty much always preferable to sleeping flat.

If your budget allows, additional features can be extremely handy. The current generation of Tempur bases have a lumbar/posture support which allows for a third part of articulation that hits roughly in the lower back/lower ribs (depending on how the person is lying down). This allows for higher comfortable elevation, as you can keep your posture more uniform, and allows even stomach sleepers to have their upper body elevated somewhat.

In more premium or luxury bases, there is also an oscillating massage. In virtually all products that have it, it is performed by a vibrating motor. At a lower frequency, those vibrations seem to increase capillary blood flow, which has two physiological effects: more efficient breakdown of lactic acid, and relaxation. Lactic acid is the primary culprit for muscle soreness, and is typically removed by blood from muscle tissue, so increasing circulation means a faster filtering process. Relaxation occurs because this circulation pattern is kind of the opposite of a fight-or-flight response: in fight or flight, blood is pulled into the circulatory system for more rapid deployment to whatever muscle groups require it. This oscillation more uniformly distributes said circulation, which typically has noticeable relaxation effects. When coupled with elevating the lower extremities, you can see some significant improvements in lower body circulation, which is 100% worth exploring with a physician for folks who have neuropathy in their feet (e.g., diabetics).

The ProSmart base is, to my knowledge, the only base that eschews mechanical oscillation for sonic technology. Effectively, motors are traded for subwoofers, which allows for greater control over both frequency (hertz aka vibration speed) and amplitude (volume aka strength), and even allows for a longer runtime of the massage feature. Additionally, using a sound system allows for bluetooth functionality for use with sleep/relaxation aiding noises and/or immersive sound experiences. You could, for example, play a thunderstorm soundtrack and actually feel the peals of thunder with the base. I've had people fall asleep while I was talking to them while showing that feature.

And that is to say nothing of the sleep tracking technology in the current Smart and ProSmart bases.

I currently use a last-generation Tempur base (the Ergo Extend), which has a few features I don't care about much. The mechanical massage is the best that I've seen on the market, and it lacks a posture support, so I'm strongly considering getting a ProSmart despite the relatively young age of my base.

When I look to gauge quality of an adjustable base for this thread, or for friends who ask my opinion, there are a few things I look for:
  • Lift capacity (strength of the motor). I would never recommend below 500 lbs per motor.
  • Deck construction. Get something solid if you want something to last. Wires will bend easily, but keep cost down.
  • Brand. Do I even know who makes it? Decent brands include, in no particular order: Legett & Platt, ErgoMotion, TempurPedic, Mantua, Glideaway, Reverie.

If you have something specific in mind, I'm always happy to take a look and give my opinion!

quote:

Beyond the base, any general mattress recommendations for a side sleeper and a mostly front sleeper? I assume it will mostly come down to what feels good, but from what I've read here in the past, we'res a tough combination since you generally want softer for side and firmer for front, so I'd love some suggestions on where to start. The last bed we had was an older Leesa, which worked well until recently, when the support really collapsed and it is now unbearably squishy. As for budget, we're further along in our careers now than last time we were looking for a bed, so we're in a position where we're able to spend a decent amount for a quality product now (within reason, I'm not bringing home a $10k bed).

Honestly, that's really hard to answer with only that information. Short version is you will probably be OK with a medium firmness hybrid. :shrug:

We can talk more privately if you want my specific recommendations. I would also point you in the direction of the MattressMatcher that Mattress Firm* has on the website. Whether you wish to pursue those specific options or not is irrelevant, as you could look for products carried by other retailers which are similar to what is recommended to you.

*Reminder: I am employed by Mattress Firm and have been for quite some time. I've done a lot of competitive research over the years, but my knowledge base is rooted in products we've carried for the last decade or so. I have never tried to sell things specifically to folks here!