Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
im sad i cant be a man and a slut, gently caress racist fags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Things were so much simpler back in the aughts when everyone, regardless of gender, just called each other the N word.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Are gendered nouns considered problematic?

Who gives a poo poo.

am i ugly
Mar 12, 2017

by zen death robot
grammatical genders are classes of nouns which behave in a certain way and has nothing to do with human sexuality or whatever. it's not like a masculine word is going to have a big ol dong whereas the feminine word's going to earn 80c on the dollar. so they're not problematic from that angle

however as it's a class based system it is extremely problematic for marxists

am i ugly
Mar 12, 2017

by zen death robot
you#re all a bunch of stupid motherfuckers to me and all your words are equally worthless if that helps any

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Some words are deffo worth more than others, that's why they are jealously guarded and only certain types of ppl are allowed to say them. :hai:

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

MeLKoR posted:

Not spanish. I remember studying irregular verbs and other really basic stuff, I'm positive there was never any discussion about noun gender. I have no doubt "gender exception lists" are a thing for second language learners, all I'm saying is that I never even thought about gender nouns until I started talking with english speakers. I'm not saying that nowadays you can't group these things into some sort of pattern, all I'm saying is that there was no group of men going around telling peasants "no you dummy, it's 'o programa' not 'a programa', words got gendered however it made speaking flow more naturally. Since no one sat down and created the language all in one go new words got gendered in a way that "fit" naturally into the previous existing vocabulary.

Why does "bishop" have a completely different sound from "night"? Because that was how people started pronouncing it at some point, because it sounded better to them.

That's not how it happened. That's not how languages work.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
IIRC Russian has 3 genders and 6 cases. I think penis is a feminine noun to them, lol

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

also lol @ "no one went around telling people which words were right"

*went through 12+ years of state sponsored language instruction*

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jimmy Hats posted:

Has anyone said 'pronouns? mo' like noobnouns!' yet?

No but I'm glad you did

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nonviolent J posted:

im sad i cant be a man and a slut, gently caress racist fags

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Whoops quote is not report

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Duckbag posted:

also lol @ "no one went around telling people which words were right"

*went through 12+ years of state sponsored language instruction*
I hope you can get a refund because your reading comprehension is terrible. I can, right now, pick up some 600 years portuguese text and read it with no problem, apart from some archaic words there were only minor spelling changes. It's a good thing the government sent a team of philologists and grammarians back in time to teach Camoes how to write, "os armas e as baroes assinalados" just doesn't sound the same.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

those 600-year-old texts were also written by people who went through years of language education hth

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

MeLKoR posted:

I hope you can get a refund because your reading comprehension is terrible. I can, right now, pick up some 600 years portuguese text and read it with no problem, apart from some archaic words there were only minor spelling changes. It's a good thing the government sent a team of philologists and grammarians back in time to teach Camoes how to write, "os armas e as baroes assinalados" just doesn't sound the same.

You do realize there's the Classe de Letras in Portugal, the Academia Brasileira de Letras in Brazil. So yeah, the government has kinda been doing that for hundreds of years.

Maybe you should, I dunno, watch an intro to linguistics video on YouTube or something before you try pretending you know anything.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

holy god almighty are you dumb there have been grammarians for as long as people have been speaking you moron

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I'm a Grandmaton Cleric :smug:

*shoots u v skillfully*

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Let us English posted:

You do realize there's the Classe de Letras in Portugal, the Academia Brasileira de Letras in Brazil. So yeah, the government has kinda been doing that for hundreds of years.
My bad, we didn't create a time machine in 2017, we did it in 1779.

Arrhythmia posted:

holy god almighty are you dumb there have been grammarians for as long as people have been speaking you moron
Someone must have dropped the ball then for english to become such a clusterfuck.

Healthy Nut Snack
Mar 23, 2016

Is this how things work in the UK? You just walk into a store and decide how much you want to pay for poo poo?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I can't tell if some of you seriously believe that there were professors going around fixing spelling and gender nouns at a time when we didn't even have a country, much less universities. No one gave a poo poo about any of this before the printing press, you can see that clearly in english where everyone spelled poo poo however they pleased.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

are you familiar with a little organization called the catholic church?

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

I can't tell if some of you seriously believe that there were professors going around fixing spelling and gender nouns at a time when we didn't even have a country, much less universities. No one gave a poo poo about any of this before the printing press, you can see that clearly in english where everyone spelled poo poo however they pleased.

People did not spell however they wanted. There were conventions, said conventions changed over time. You're being intentionally dense. In the same way there are conventions about gendered nouns. Native speakers internalize them and are not usually consciously aware of them. Just like adjective order in English.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Duckbag posted:

are you familiar with a little organization called the catholic church?
Are you familiar with the fact the catholic church didn't write in portuguese?

Let us English posted:

People did not spell however they wanted. There were conventions, said conventions changed over time.
Pick two english books written before the printing press and there's going to be a shitload of stuff written differently, you don't even need to pick books written at different times, just authors from different areas of England. God drat, I'm not english and even I know this poo poo.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress man can we just all agree romanian is a garbage language for idiots and just close this thread

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

drowned in pussy juice posted:

gently caress man can we just all agree romanian is a garbage language for idiots and just close this thread

all languages are beautiful, friend

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
ok can we at least agree its the ugliest romance language

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
like when when a beautiful gypsy woman is singing it it still sounds like a magpie swallowed a ballsack

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Weren't people asking if gendered nouns are problematic? Well, they are now.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I know it might not seem like it sometimes but a lot of GBS thread titles are meant to be funny jokes, not serious rhetorical questions

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

Are you familiar with the fact the catholic church didn't write in portuguese?

Pick two english books written before the printing press and there's going to be a shitload of stuff written differently, you don't even need to pick books written at different times, just authors from different areas of England. God drat, I'm not english and even I know this poo poo.

You don't know what convention means, do you?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
/\/\/\/\/\
e: I admit my poor domain of english led me to believe "a convention" was something shared by most/all the population but apparently english had as many conventions as it had writers.

I know it might not seem like it sometimes but a lot of GBS thread titles are meant to be funny jokes, not serious rhetorical questions

«Quero um café e uma queca.»

An hilarious and problematic use of a gendered noun. Shame that the funny will elude native speakers of this mix of grunts and squeals we call "english".

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 17, 2017

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR posted:

An hilarious

Reported 4 bad grammar

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Reported 4 bad grammar
It's my convention.

e:

:laffo: loving english

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 17, 2017

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im starting to think that all the retards who whine about this poo poo just desperately wish English or Spanish had French Revolution style language revision and official standards

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've definitely read dumber analogies. I'm sure a guy like you could come up with something better than some copy/pasted Reddit bullshit.

Huur guy like me aren't you edgy

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
I mean lazy not edgy.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

This red title sure does take up a lot of space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Ayyy another classic SA thread about trans stuff

• Locked thread