Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
seriously it seems like superhero movies fuckin' can't get enough of "let's throw people through buildings and landscapes in a way that is totally inconsequential and doesn't appear to hurt them at all, and then do it again and again from multiple angles"

is there a substantial audience segment that laps that poo poo up or is it just expected in the same way that every other action trailer has to have that BWWAAAAAHHHHHHHH "music" effect in it??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I loving hate buildigs and superheroes so two birds one stone

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

seriously it seems like superhero movies fuckin' can't get enough of "let's throw people through buildings and landscapes in a way that is totally inconsequential and doesn't appear to hurt them at all, and then do it again and again from multiple angles"

is there a substantial audience segment that laps that poo poo up or is it just expected in the same way that every other action trailer has to have that BWWAAAAAHHHHHHHH "music" effect in it??

It subtracts from the characters HP.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Well, it accomplishes two things; it demonstrates the superhuman power of the attacker, as well as showing the superhuman strength of the character receiving the punch- if a regular person took a punch hard enough to send a solid object through a building, they'd surely die. It's a simple, yet effective means of conveying the raw power of the figures involved.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Also why are superheroes flying all the time, can't they get another gimmick? Ugh.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Well, it accomplishes two things; it demonstrates the superhuman power of the attacker, as well as showing the superhuman strength of the character receiving the punch- if a regular person took a punch hard enough to send a solid object through a building, they'd surely die. It's a simple, yet effective means of conveying the raw power of the figures involved.

This, also it's a classic superhero comic scene, so they have to homage it in the movies. I think there's literally a hundred times Superman's been punched through a building in the comics. I mean even street-level "superheroes" like Daredevil or The Punisher get punched through walls.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Most of the time it's not even done well. Maybe I'm spoiled by the comics or things like DBZ which get you used to the idea that to go through something solid (or go through multiple solid things) you have to be flying through the air pretty loving fast. Fast enough that it looks and sounds like the collisions are happening almost simultaneously.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Was epic when Mr. Incredible punched the Sicilian through the wall

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Are there any superhero movies that show us the piles of dead bodies and spattered blood and guts from the people in these buildings caught in the crossfire?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Are there any superhero movies that show us the piles of dead bodies and spattered blood and guts from the people in these buildings caught in the crossfire?

Still waiting on that Miracleman adaptation.

:nws:

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Lumpy the Cook posted:

close thread

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Okay, but imagine this: one superhero punches another superhero onto a scale, and the dial on the scale goes right up to the maximum, indicating the superhuman forces.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Okay, but imagine this: one superhero punches another superhero onto a scale, and the dial on the scale goes right up to the maximum, indicating the superhuman forces.

And then a carny hands the superhero a stuffed bear

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Don't worry wonder woman has heros (and villains!) being thrown through buildings and getting up no problem.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Batman V. Superman, this is Batman's motivation for wanting Superman dead.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

every other action trailer has to have that BWWAAAAAHHHHHHHH "music" effect in it??

What sound effect is this? I dont recall Hank Hill being in every action movie trailer

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
It's a big cliché now even in non-superhero movies for the villain to keep picking up and throwing the hero. It's supposed to show how tough the villain is but it doesn't work because the hero usually doesn't seem injured and really if the villain is that strong then he should just be able to break his neck instead of pointlessly throwing him.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I don't like that ppl do MMA submissions in movies now but everyone acts like it's the camel clutch and they just need to mash A enough times before their stamina bar goes to red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I mean it's overplayed now OP but in Superman 2 it was pretty rad

• Locked thread